I built some bass traps...

DIY Studio Stuff
SweetDan

I built some bass traps...

Post by SweetDan »

I've been scheming and planning to build bass traps. Over the last two weeks or so the plans finally coalesced (read: I got off my butt), and now, proudly hanging on the wall in the corners behind me, are some bass traps.

They're nothing special to look at. I basically made some boxes out of 1x4's, shoved some roxul in each box, then wrapped 'em up with fabric to cover the ugly roxul. (It's nice the fabric is black, so you can't see imperfections from across the room, though you can see the dog hairs and sawdust I wasn't able to remove after I unwisely set the fabric first on the workbench then on the floor). There are a few somewhat interesting details in the construction, but as far as I can tell, they're pretty conventional DIY acoustic treatment devices.

I'll post a photo or two, and a scan of my scribbled notes/plans, if anyone's interested.

---

As I post this, I wonder about the actual name "bass traps". When I explained to the wife/kids/friends what I was doing, I actually said I was building "acoustic panels"; I didn't feel like explaining the difference between the various types of acoustic treatment. Yes, I've built myself some "acoustic panels", but are they really "bass traps"? They're only 1 layer of insulation thick (~3.5"). Is it the position of the acoustic treatment that defines what it is? I.e., are these "bass traps" because they are in the corners behind me? If you were to treat the first-reflection points to your left and right with a panel that is appropriately sized to be a "bass trap", is it still a bass trap? Or is it their size/shape/composition that defines what they are? Questions...questions...
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
rayc

Re: I built some bass traps...

Post by rayc »

They are bass traps if they trap bass.
Otherwise they are mid traps, 1st reflection filters etc.
Linguistics gives way to tech language which gives way to jargon & is then modified by slang or Trumpism.
A certain thickness, a certain fibre product, a certain distance from the wall, a certain certainty is only certain when you chose the best prize curtain.
Cheers
rayc