Remixed this one on vacation

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
ido1957

Remixed this one on vacation

Post by ido1957 »

Last day of vacation but no time for music until this morning (chores/helping daughter move for work).

This remix has a few changes that I incorporated based on stuff that I thought worked well on the last song:
- took off the compressor on the mains (just a limiter now)
- did some eq'ing on the drums to reduce the kick
- doubled the lead parts that run through the verses and panned them L/R
- changed the reverb on vocals and solo

Please have a listen and let me know if this is cohesive....

(Google Play)

On The Edge -
Mix 1

Mix 2
Last edited by ido1957 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rammer24

Re: Remixed this one on vacation

Post by rammer24 »

Levels are really good. I hear everything well. It seems like it could use more "meat". I don't know if that means more bass since I hear the bass fine. It just seems that it's dominating in the mids more than anything else. Drums sound really good on this one. Vocal level is great, too.

I can't believe you posted this 2 days ago and didn't get a response. This place seems to be getting less about the actual music and more about talking about equipment, etc...Nothing wrong with that, just something I've noticed. For the amount of members we have, it's still pretty good compared to HR. That place is pretty much on life support and the gang that they gave free reign to has pretty much killed the Clinic. So, we're not doing that bad. :)
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Thanks Rami, I was pretty happy with the things I've learned recently and thought I'd fiddle around with this one and see if I could apply them without screwing it up.
For example, I tended to run leads within the verse/choruses center (sometimes 35% left or right). I'm pushing them off to 80%. But since I've yet to get good at "different " leads " I double them for now. And removing the compressor on the mains really seems to clear up a lot of mud, at least it sounds like that to me.
That meat thing I'll listen to - it could be all sorts of things that would help, but I'll listen with that in mind. Sometimes you just have to focus on it once someone mentions it and voila you hear it.
After all these years I still have so much to work out - you'd think I would be good at it by now....lol

Yeah - HR clinic is super dead from the looks of it, just took a look. I don't log in anymore but I check out the activity (or lack thereof) every so often.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I have an obsessive compulsive problem. I hope you're not like me. Whenever I learn something new, or discover something like a technique or new piece of equipment that really makes a difference, I go back and re-mix about 30 of my tunes. That's what I just did this week, all because of the BOD bass amp. I know it's stupid, but I just am not able to let my music sit there when I know it can sound better, even if nobody but me will ever hear most of those tunes. I'm mentally exhausted now because I literally opened about 30 projects in the last week and tweaked all of them. I don't want to hear another note of my music for a few days.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:53 pm I have an obsessive compulsive problem. I hope you're not like me. Whenever I learn something new, or discover something like a technique or new piece of equipment that really makes a difference, I go back and re-mix about 30 of my tunes. That's what I just did this week, all because of the BOD bass amp. I know it's stupid, but I just am not able to let my music sit there when I know it can sound better, even if nobody but me will ever hear most of those tunes. I'm mentally exhausted now because I literally opened about 30 projects in the last week and tweaked all of them. I don't want to hear another note of my music for a few days.
I kind of do that. Maybe not quite as bad. But I do end up retracking quite a lot stuff when I learn new things. The main thing was when I got my new bass recently; I had to retrack loads of stuff
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

JD01 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:49 pm
I kind of do that. Maybe not quite as bad. But I do end up retracking quite a lot stuff when I learn new things. The main thing was when I got my new bass recently; I had to retrack loads of stuff
Yeah, why can't we all be like Greg and get it perfect the first time? I hate that fucker. :D
rayc

Post by rayc »

Gerry, I like the remix, new treatment. I don't hear a lack of meat but Ive not the critical/accurate ear of Rami. Cool song and I like the lead stuff. Drums are very good too.
Re remixmania - I had that - well still do & that's one of the main reasons I send stuff away to be mastered: that puts a full stop on it for me as I've spent money. I did pull out a mastered track and get it mastered again - I wanted to compare mastering styles/sounds/results between Jan & Fran. I also did a tiny remix while I had it up (added a mellotron line in a few places).
I'm pleased I have had most of my stuff mastered because I'd be pulling them up & adding Mel9 tracks to everything at present.
Cheers
rayc
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Ray I'm like you with the mastered stuff. I don't revisit it either. I do wish I had the knowledge I have now prior to mastering though as I (like most guys after 5 years ) have a few better tones and stuff. The drums are quite a bit better now also. I have a dozen or more songs I can change/fix that aren't yet mastered so I'll probably remix those over time.
My goal is to try and get them as sonically close as possible (and better) so mastering is more me and less Jan. The last master was more in that vein, with everything off the busses, but even since then I've got a few new tricks that may mean a single remaster. No timeline, as I'm in no hurry at the moment. I don't have to master anything but I do like the touch Jan puts on it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ido, just got around to listening to this.

Listening for as much stuff as I can. Nothing is jumping out at me as wrong in any way really - I can hear everything clearly and nothing is grating on me.. maybe the snare could be slightly louder, but only slightly, or maybe just have a bit more thump to it.

One weird thing is that it appears to just start without a really start to it - a bit like the start of Like A Hurricane
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think this is pretty good. The vocals sit on top of the mix, which is not really something I usually enjoy, but it works for you. If you wanna settle the vocals into the mix more, I think that'd be a good thing. The cymbals are especially sizzly and splashy to me. They are really the only thing that jumps out at me as something that should be fixed.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Thanks JD - the snare is off a stereo track and so I'll have to leave that and the beginning, never thought of it but yeah it is like Hurricane.

And Greg - I'm getting closer to the perfect balance (haha) between this mic's incredible clarity and sitting it in the mix (two completely foreign concepts at times). On this I'm feeding a wet bus through another reverb send and I seem to be getting the effect I am looking for. Still experimenting....
The cymbals....well I'm still working on those.... :crazy:
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Mix 2 -
(also in OP)
Worked on the cymbals as per Greg's observation - still inherently sizzly, but not as prominent.
Let me know if this sounds ok.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I went straight to mix #2.

It sounded excellent.

The rhythm guitars were a little boxy and just a tiny bit undefined.

I would nudge the lead vocal a *small* bit. I'd probably do the same thing to the bass. Or give the bass a little low end eq boost.

But these are very minor things. It was very good.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Thanks TripleM - the lead vocal is teetering on being too loud (for me) so I think I'll leave it for now. The bass I can fiddle with :)