Time Waits For No One (Stones cover)

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rammer24

Time Waits For No One (Stones cover)

Post by rammer24 »

One of my favorite Stones tunes, off "It's Only Rock and Roll" last song on side 1. :D

Unfortunately, it's 12mg, which doesn't fit in the site's uploader.

Let me know how much injustice I did it......

https://ramirami.com/tracks/direct/3538 ... 275346.mp3
Tadpui

Re: Time Waits For No One (Stones cover)

Post by Tadpui »

Listening in headphones...

The kick and bass are really locked in, both in performance and in the mix. Maybe a smidge less click on the kick? Maybe there's a delay or room reverb that's picking up on the beater or something. Guitars sound great to me, so do the keys. This is solid all around.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

sounds great!

Shocker I know.

I'm kinda indifferent to mixes as long as they're good because there's so many different legitimate ways to mix something.

Your mixes are always good so I only comment on stuff that jumps out at me.
The vocals jump out at me as being really, really nicely captured.

Also there's a cohesion to the overall mix that even you don't often get.
Sounds like a group in a room ..... very smooth sounding and the vox is just perfectly present.

Very nice!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:34 pm Listening in headphones...

The kick and bass are really locked in, both in performance and in the mix. Maybe a smidge less click on the kick? Maybe there's a delay or room reverb that's picking up on the beater or something. Guitars sound great to me, so do the keys. This is solid all around.
Thanx Tad. I'll keep an ear out for that beater click, and an eye out for any other comments about it. :like:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:13 am sounds great!

Shocker I know.

I'm kinda indifferent to mixes as long as they're good because there's so many different legitimate ways to mix something.

Your mixes are always good so I only comment on stuff that jumps out at me.
The vocals jump out at me as being really, really nicely captured.

Also there's a cohesion to the overall mix that even you don't often get.
Sounds like a group in a room ..... very smooth sounding and the vox is just perfectly present.

Very nice!
Thanx a lot, Lt.

Interesting about the mix. I know it's a wetter mix than most of my originals. Maybe I should use a little more reverb more often. Also, since it's a cover, and a Stones cover at that, I might be playing a little looser and free than I would on an original. Which might actually be a lesson right there. Maybe I should loosen up a bit when I do my own songs. Maybe not. Something to keep in the back of my mind. :)

Thanx a lot for the comments. :punk: :metal:
paulman

Post by paulman »

Sounds like a cleaner version of the Stones. My only suggestion is that the drums are too much, overall. Too much thump, too much weight. A lighter touch would groove better, I think. But it sounds really great overall. I haven't covered a Stones song yet (been thinking about it), and I'm not sure I can pull off Jagger like you did.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

paulman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:35 am Sounds like a cleaner version of the Stones. My only suggestion is that the drums are too much, overall. Too much thump, too much weight. A lighter touch would groove better, I think. But it sounds really great overall. I haven't covered a Stones song yet (been thinking about it), and I'm not sure I can pull off Jagger like you did.
Thanx Paulman. The drums are definitely bigger than the original. This is before the Stones started making the drums more prominent, like on Tatto You. You might be right about a lighter feel to the drums. Thanx a lot. :coolstorybro:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've never heard the original so I have no preconceived ideas.

I think it's a really good mix. The only issue I have is the little lead guitar line that runs under the verses/chorus is a little too low. I think it can pop more. Maybe it's subtle in the original, I don't know, but I wanna hear it jump through a little more.

Besides that, perfect. Nice job. Snare sounds awesome.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:15 pm I've never heard the original so I have no preconceived ideas.

I think it's a really good mix. The only issue I have is the little lead guitar line that runs under the verses/chorus is a little too low. I think it can pop more. Maybe it's subtle in the original, I don't know, but I wanna hear it jump through a little more.

Besides that, perfect. Nice job. Snare sounds awesome.
Thanx Gerg. If you're talking about the guitar that I think you're talking about, it's a synth in the original, or some kind of keyboard/string line. I'm doing it on guitar with an octaver and a cocked wah. I think I have it about the same volume as it is on the original, but I'll see if I can bring it up without getting in the way of the vocals. Thanx man.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanx Gerg. If you're talking about the guitar that I think you're talking about, it's a synth in the original, or some kind of keyboard/string line. I'm doing it on guitar with an octaver and a cocked wah. I think I have it about the same volume as it is on the original, but I'll see if I can bring it up without getting in the way of the vocals. Thanx man.
Did you do anything different with your snare? It just seems a little better than usual to me. Good body, appropriate snap and sizzle from underneath.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Not really anything different. But I always tune it before recording. I generally give each lug a teenage-cunt-hair of a turn just to make up for how much it might have loosened since last time I played it. I might have just tweaked it just right this time. Nothing deliberate.

Oh yeah, I also moved my bottom snare mic a few inches closer to the wires, which made me turn it down compared to previous songs. I usually have it 10db lower than my top mic. For this tune, I had to have it about 15db lower.

I'm glad it sounds good. I'll try to get the same sound next time if I can.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Dropped in to listen again...whole song up this time, yay.
How did you get the tone on the guitar licks under the verses? Is that the cocked wah? - reminds me of Mick Ronson also.
It's a really cool cover and the lead lines are, as in the original, the sort to bliss out to.
Cheers
rayc
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

rayc wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:37 pm Dropped in to listen again...whole song up this time, yay.
How did you get the tone on the guitar licks under the verses? Is that the cocked wah? - reminds me of Mick Ronson also.
It's a really cool cover and the lead lines are, as in the original, the sort to bliss out to.
Thanx a lot, Ray.

Yes, I explained a few posts up: Octaver and cocked wah. I love this song. I just realized I should have done what they do after the fade. I should have brought the side stick back in. No big deal, but I might do that.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Eh, it's ok........I guess.

Shit Rami! Now I gotta quit. Fuck! Anyone wanna buy a bunch of analog and digital gear?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Roman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:50 pm Eh, it's ok........I guess.
Shit Rami! Now I gotta quit. Fuck! Anyone wanna buy a bunch of analog and digital gear?
MMMmmmmm....Analog......:D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This is really excellent, Rami. Totally forgot that I was listening critically after about 20s and just enjoyed it.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:05 am This is really excellent, Rami. Totally forgot that I was listening critically after about 20s and just enjoyed it.
Thanx a lot, JD. :like:
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

You actually did a decent impression of Jagger.

I thought this was good.

My only nit was the guitar line during the verses was a little distraction. It took attention away from the vocal. Minor thing and probably a personal preference.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:15 pm The only issue I have is the little lead guitar line that runs under the verses/chorus is a little too low. I think it can pop more.
TripleM wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:29 pm My only nit was the guitar line during the verses was a little distraction. It took attention away from the vocal.
I'll let you two fight it out. :D

That line is in the original, I didn't write it. If it's distracting, it's been distracting for about 45 years. :smiles:

Thanx for the listen. :like:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

^^^^I was sort of being funny/sarcastic. Hope I didn't come off dismissive. I really do appreciate everyone's input. I almost always go back and check when someone makes any kind of comment. :)