Nocebo Effect

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Nocebo Effect

Post by JD01 »

This track did have a different thread before but this is a pretty much a complete re-write. You'll be pleased to know this is gonna be my last one of the weekend. I'm just trying to finalise a bunch of tracks now so I can get on with some new ideas and some fun covers that have been lingering around that I've not finsihed.
Nocebo Effect Mix 1.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Re: Nocebo Effect

Post by Bubba »

This is great. The rhythm guitars sound perfect to me. Great vocals and mixed at the correct volume. I can't detect any harshness that bothers me.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:30 am This is great. The rhythm guitars sound perfect to me. Great vocals and mixed at the correct volume. I can't detect any harshness that bothers me.
Cheers, I was well pleased with the rhythm sound - more gain that I've been going for recently, but it suits the song - This the one where I ended up deleting nearly 200 scraps of vocal takes.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I love the guitars. They sound great. Balance between guitars/bass/drums is excellent. Tone on things sound nice to me.

I think the vocal gets buried just a bit in the chorus where things get a little heavier.

Other than that I thought it was cool.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Much improved over your more most recent mixes. No obscene clickety clack in this one.

The vocal effect is not doing you any favors. If you had a nice clear vocal the whole mix would just seem better. That's just my opinion, but fuck that, I'm gonna state that as cold hard fact. I don't know why you like all that murky roomy vocal processing. Lol. Sounds like you're singing into a fish bowl. It's not like you have to be Celine Dion for music like this. You don't need to hide behind a bunch of effects and buried levels.

This is definitely one of your better guitar tone efforts IMO. The only problem to me is the guitar mix leans left a little. Seems the left channel guitars are brighter and/or louder. No big deal, it's not even something that needs "fixing", that's just how I'm hearing it.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

This is good. Everything does sound good. Drums sound good, guitars sound great.

Vocals or ok, but I can see what Greg is saying. To me, the best way to describe it is it's like the chorus are gang vocals, and the verses are just a smaller gang. If the verses had a more intimate sound to them, I think it would make the choruses sound bigger. Right now, instead of going from small to big, it's sort of from pretty big to big.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers. Not sure what I can do about the vocals now. There's not that much verb on them, there is some delay.. I'll look at reducing that. And maybe reducing the double tracking on the verse.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Guitars are cool, bass is good, drum prog is an example of your development.
Vocals - I can hear what Greg & Rami mentioned but I hear it as a mic between the Psychedelic Furs & placebo so quite like 'em.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers Ray. I heard this in the car for the first time yesterday and thought it was alright. I see what Greg and Rami are saying though so gonna tweak this a bit and see what I can do as it didn't feel quite right when listening on reference cans
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

What FX do you have on that vocal? It sounds like you're singing through a fan.

Bass tone is good. Not clicky like some of your other stuff. Drums sound coherent enough on a first listen.

*edit*

Just got past the interlude. The panning is a little wonky. What's the "lead" voice in the section? Is it the bass or the high, bendy guitar? That's the voice that should probably be in the center.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:35 pm What FX do you have on that vocal? It sounds like you're singing through a fan.

Bass tone is good. Not clicky like some of your other stuff. Drums sound coherent enough on a first listen.

*edit*

Just got past the interlude. The panning is a little wonky. What's the "lead" voice in the section? Is it the bass or the high, bendy guitar? That's the voice that should probably be in the center.
Just have verb and delay on the vocal. Singing through a fan... haha. Maybe I'll try that

I'll see if i can find out what's happening at the end of the interlude.

Cheers Steve.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Steve, I checked that bit in the interlude - I don't mind that guitar way off to the right like that and I know that I definitely want to keep the bass centred - its a bit of a peave of mine when the bass isn't in the middle and it annoys me even more when it moves around. Don't know why.

Anyway - I've done a minor re-mix on this this evening. If anyone has any patience left, give it a listen.

I've basically just removed most of the delay from the verse vocals so the chorus vocals have a touch more delay now to thicken them a bit. I've also removed a touch of verb from the lead vocal in the chorus and EQ'd it slightly. Seems to make it sound more dynamic.
05 - Nocebo Effect.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I'm not really noticing much a difference.

Can the bass and lead not both be centered?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:35 pm I'm not really noticing much a difference.

Can the bass and lead not both be centered?
They could, but there's another guitar out on the far left. Strumming some chords. Maybe that's a but too quiet, I know I want to keep them panned wide.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, I suspected the lead was meant to balance out the strummed guitar...

double the rhythm?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:19 pm Yeah, I suspected the lead was meant to balance out the strummed guitar...

double the rhythm?
Could try it, I think first I'll try listening to the pieces that are panned L/R without the rest of the track there and just see how well balanced they are - they might actually be completely imbalanced.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD,

I'm listening at work so i am getting the convoluted compressed and shitty playback experience but if anything it may provide a look into a radio playback type of squash and really it sounds pretty good and smooth. I'd have to listen in my room with my monitors to get a real good feel for the "actual mix"

The bass solo part sounds really good. You got a pretty decent bass sound going on now. I am hearing a bit of difference in your guit tones than previous efforts. They don't have that typical JD sound. Don't get me wrong your sound is there is just seems a bit more well rounded and 3D than previous efforts.

Really stoked on the drum programming man. Excellent job. I was listening for some tell tale signs and i got nothing really noteworthy.

2nd listen, I am not sure why but that little riffing solo thing on the left during the pre chorus part irks me a little bit. I don't know what i would personally do to fix it outside of just making it the left channel entirely and blowing out the rhythm on the left and moving that riffing on it's own. But i don't know that that would really suit the genre and that is just my own personal way of song writing.

Maybe slide it over right a little more so it is next to the vocal and not sitting on it? I dunno. nothing really wrong with it honestly it just feels weird on my ears. like wearing a right sock on the left foot.

Great tune, it's been fun watching it evolve.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers Shan, I like the tune too. I like the lyrics to this too cos it's about a very specific friend of mine and her denial about seeing a doctor while being obsessed with fucking quacks and homeopathic remedies.

The guitars are higher gain than my usual sound, but Greg and bubba gave me some tips recently to both remove fizz and bump up some highs which I've since applied to loads of my "finished" mixes.

The guitars on the prechorus.. That's 4 guitars. Two hard panned rhythms and two 70% panned guitars doing the ascending riff thing - think they have a touch more verb too. That bit does sound a touch messy so I'll look into clearing it up. I'll try a few things and see if I can get an improvement cos I can see what you mean.

Cheers though, mate