Its My Vice (Ya Damn Right)

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Audio Monster

Its My Vice (Ya Damn Right)

Post by Audio Monster »

Meat Monster - ITS MY VICE !.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Re: Its My Vice (Ya Damn Right)

Post by JD01 »

This is so far out of my zone I don't know what to comment on really regarding the mix so I'll just stick to basic observations.

The guitar in the intro appears to be clipping slightly.
Its really verby - although that's probably about right for the genre.
The vox are probably a little quiet given the genre, particularly later in the song - they're probably supposed to be massive and out front.
Verse 2? The guitars seem really muddy here, just after the 1 minute mark, when you're palm muting and again just before 2 minutes.
There seems to be a bit of a volume jump during the guitar solo and the solo doesn't seem loud enough - its supposed to sound like you're giving it the full leather trousers isn't it? - Then get it loud and be proud of it!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Big arena sound for sure. Sounds like you have reverb on the whole mix, which makes it sound live. It seems a bit muddy in the low end or the low mids. I think the vocals can come up. Yeah, the drums can use some sparkle up top. I can tell they sound good, or can sound great, but it just seems like everything has that distant/blanket sound and lacks a bit of sheen in the high's.

Pretty powerful and energetic. Good playing and serious pipes on the vocalist.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:59 am This is so far out of my zone
Lol you fucking liar. :lollers2:

It definitely has that cheesy spandex late 80s vibe to it. :robus: :metal:

To me, it sounds about right for the genre and style. A little too much reverb, but fuck it. Big roomy drums are cool on stuff like this, but the rhythm guitars could be a little drier. A little clarity in the lows and low mids would be good to me. The bass is just kind of lost in the mush. Good job on the vocals and gang vocals.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:31 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:59 am This is so far out of my zone
Lol you fucking liar. :lollers2:
LOL - you're the fucking KISS fan! :lollers2:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:33 pm
That's true. I do like early KISS. I'm not ashamed of it at all. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:39 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:33 pm
That's true. I do like early KISS. I'm not ashamed of it at all. :coolstorybro:
I only really know the song from the Costa Coffee advert that was on TV over hear a few years ago. haha, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYSmij0407A

Anyway, Audio Monster - this is the first song you've posted on this forums isn't it? Good start! :like:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I think this is the first one i have heard from you AM! Not a bad jam. I just see hair and spandex haha.

It's a great first offering in terms of the mix. I think the snare kind of gets buried in places and swallowed up in the reverb you got going on there. might need a bit of a nudge in the eq somewhere in the upper freq's to make it punch through that reverb maybe?

other than that i can think of too much to pick out. You almost sound as though you've done this a few times before hahaha.

How did you do the guitars? Are they real life or sims?
:happytrees:
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

Thank you for the comments fellas. Good points made by all! The song was actually recorded in 2011 by my band, Meat Monster :biggrin: I still have all the tracks so I think I'll do it another mix. I posted it because I threw the CD on in my truck after not hearing it for at least three years and a few things bothered me so I thought I'd put it up to help get some perspective on it.

If I remix this song I'll definitely drop the verbs on the guitars. Good Lord what was I thinking.

The lead is two tracks playing doubling, and playing two separate parts in the last section but that gets lost in the reverb. (not sims WJ)

Vocals, I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to volume when it comes to my own singing. On this track I Find the vocals a little shrill in the highs.

Next time I'll post something from this year.

Thanks again :like:
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

..PS. No spandex, EVER! Just long hair, Les Paul's, jeans and T's.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Listening on HP - I'd double the lead at 1:04 to even things out a bit. It leans a bit off to the right there.
The sibilance on the vocals could be tamed. 2:59 things really get muddy. Elsewher too but it's like a big thud there for some reason.
Remind me of Triumph but with more guitarists. Definitely 80's vibe, sweet playing and singing, rocks hard - just eq it as suggested above.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The first big chord on the left guitar sounds like it clips especially (around 0:04)

+1 on taming the 'verbs a little. The snare sounds like it's about 3 blocks away behind a concrete wall, and the vocals sound like they're trying to be a def leppard chorus the whole time.

I'm digging the vocal hook tho. Tighten up the mix a little, and you'll have a really good result here.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I thought this was pretty good. Good 80's arena sound.

It's limited pretty hard. Mostly the mix holds up. But I think the lead vocal suffers in the verses. It's got a high end edge to it that gets a bit grating. It's not so noticeable when there are backing vocals behind it. But in the verses it gets a bit grating on the ears.

But all in all it's cool.
rayc

Post by rayc »

All of the above and, as usual for me, I think the reverb is making the vocals a bit essie so a de esser would be useful if the reverb stays the same.
It's BIG.
Oh early KISS. The 1st 3 LPs are IT but my personal fave is Hotter Than Hell.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:43 pm
Oh early KISS. The 1st 3 LPs are IT but my personal fave is Hotter Than Hell.
The production is so bad on that album.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yeah, truly terrible production but such GREAT songs that it keeps it on top for me.
Mainline, Parasite, Goin' Blind, HTHell etc. Love 'em.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

LOL - that was fun. Pretty much what the others are saying - less reverb on the thing, especially guitars - there's a vocal glitch about 1:20 (IMO).

Who's the singer, and who has to stand behind him and squeeze his nuts on the high notes...? :biggrin:
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

Armistice wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:29 pm LOL - that was fun. Pretty much what the others are saying - less reverb on the thing, especially guitars - there's a vocal glitch about 1:20 (IMO).

Who's the singer, and who has to stand behind him and squeeze his nuts on the high notes...? :biggrin:
hehehe

You're like, the nicest mean guy in the world. You know, I'm the singer and yet you taunt me with your macho head-games :biggrin:

thanx for squeezing :metal: