$99 microphone, $300 acoustic and very little recording skills

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
liv_rong

$99 microphone, $300 acoustic and very little recording skills

Post by liv_rong »

These recordings are a few years old and the songs are over 10 years old, not perfect and some flubs, but I think it sounds ok considering what I was/am working with. I like the first one better for the song but the second one better for the sounds. The first shows the extend of my lead skills at like 2:50 lol. Thoughts?

Greg_L

Re: $99 microphone, $300 acoustic and very little recording skills

Post by Greg_L »

They both seem okay to me. Sounds like an acoustic guitar. Lol. I don't really know what you're looking to do with them. Is this it?
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

This is it for now. Someday something will happen with these
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

One Night - Sounds like a pro recording, like I'm sitting in the studio. Your big sweeping chord and the switch ups for panning work well.
Ode - More bottom end - sounds like different mic and or positioning. Both good - I'd pick the first as my favorite mix.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

ido1957 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:26 pm One Night - Sounds like a pro recording, like I'm sitting in the studio. Your big sweeping chord and the switch ups for panning work well.
Ode - More bottom end - sounds like different mic and or positioning. Both good - I'd pick the first as my favorite mix.
Thanks man! Same mic on both bitmr corded at different times and maybe even different rooms, I don't remember for sure.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

You're correct, the second is definitely better tracked: a lot less string noise and general scraping sounds.
The first is a much more interesting composition.

That being said, I think either could work as a baseline for a more fleshed-out recording later.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Sounds good dude. How's the guitar tuned in that first one?
Reminds me of stuff I'd do. :like:
rayc

Post by rayc »

The 2nd one seemed to have a freq that annoyed me in the bottom end. I like the sound of the 1st and the progression. Probably just me. What's the mic?
Cheers
rayc
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Thanks for the listen and opinions guy! Tuning is Drop D and mic is an AT2020
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I really like the first one. It's got a good overall sound and captured really well. The second one has some timbre in it that isn't rteally present in the first.
I only really kind of hear it on the lower strings. Maybe you mixed it that way to fill in that sonic gap? Becasue it works overall it just seems largely

In anycase neither suck as it. Pretty dam good for a 100 mic and someone would need to have a pretty compelling argument to try and sell me on a mic that was 3K or more after hearing those.

Good job Liv.
:happytrees: