Inside Of You - haven't posted an original in a while...

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

Re: Inside Of You - haven't posted an original in a while...

Post by rayc »

The double up works - it does distract from the twang but it also boost the "straight" guitar.
Now you have three options - choice can be evil.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I like the blended intro, so it's gonna stay that way.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I much prefer the surfy intro purely on the personal tastes alone but i think it just suits your greg sound better then what you had there originally. It is much more a greg jam with the surf mix. So i would run with that one.

I got nothing on the mix that needs fixing really all i got is a bit of commentary really. Your vocals have come along way since i started coming and joining in with you guys on HR.com. A nice over all mix As to be expected. Your snare sounds wetter than i think i am used to hearing but not in a bad way at all man i kind of like it. Maybe i am wrong.

That solo at 2:23 dude. WTF. LOL SO GOOD! It's awesome. From a tone nerd angle you have safely captured the best possible essence of string/pick up/amp/cab/out i think i have ever heard with that in this style of rock. take a fkn bow champ.

Ok 3rd listen: That little twang at 0:36 is comical. I dig it. not sure if it was inteded to be comical but it makes me lol. Not sure why.

great tune, great mix and that solo wins the internet for today.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:14 pm I much prefer the surfy intro purely on the personal tastes alone but i think it just suits your greg sound better then what you had there originally. It is much more a greg jam with the surf mix. So i would run with that one.

I got nothing on the mix that needs fixing really all i got is a bit of commentary really. Your vocals have come along way since i started coming and joining in with you guys on HR.com. A nice over all mix As to be expected. Your snare sounds wetter than i think i am used to hearing but not in a bad way at all man i kind of like it. Maybe i am wrong.

That solo at 2:23 dude. WTF. LOL SO GOOD! It's awesome. From a tone nerd angle you have safely captured the best possible essence of string/pick up/amp/cab/out i think i have ever heard with that in this style of rock. take a fkn bow champ.

Ok 3rd listen: That little twang at 0:36 is comical. I dig it. not sure if it was inteded to be comical but it makes me lol. Not sure why.

great tune, great mix and that solo wins the internet for today.
Wow, thanks bud. I appreciate the kind words. :coolstorybro: :happytrees:

Lol. That little twang is intentional. :shred:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Taking 20 minutes out from torturing expectant fresh graduates..

The 3rd version is the best
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah. I like the dual intro. Go elaborate and over-arranged every time! :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:22 am Taking 20 minutes out from torturing expectant fresh graduates..

The 3rd version is the best
Thanks. If you wanna torture them, make them listen to this. :sherlock:
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:56 am Yeah. I like the dual intro. Go elaborate and over-arranged every time! :D
You're not wrong! This isn't the first time I couldn't decide on A or B and just used them both.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:04 pm I do just play what comes naturally and seems right to me.
That seems to be a problem for a lot of players, especially these young virtuosos you see all over the internet, blazing away playing 10 million notes per second...it's all just learned mechanics, and not a lot of "natural" feel.
Just like many of the cover band guys, who know a lot of the guitar solos note-for-note...but then if you just ask them to jam along to a chord progression, they're either lost with a blank stare, or they end up simply playing chunks of the many note-for-note solos they've learned....but it doesn't feel or sound natural.
I mean...you can really tell when a player is simply repeating a learned lead (they're often staring very hard at the fretboard, tongue hanging out)...VS... someone who is playing what they feel, and naturally improvising on the fly.

Sure, there's times when you have a specific, melodic line that needs to be played, because it ties in to other parts of the song arrangement...but like I said, way too often the players are stuck in that note-for-note, learned repetition.
That's why I prefer listening to some blues players, because very often they are improvising as they play...instead of listening to modern shredders, who are executing pre-planned/learned performances in many cases, and they'll pretty much play them the same way each time.

Granted, there's something to be said to learning and then repeating very complex phrases and doing it through a lengthy piece...most classical music is about that...playing note-for-note what is on the written page...but that ain't Rock music. :P
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:16 pm

That seems to be a problem for a lot of players, especially these young virtuosos you see all over the internet, blazing away playing 10 million notes per second...it's all just learned mechanics, and not a lot of "natural" feel.
Just like many of the cover band guys, who know a lot of the guitar solos note-for-note...but then if you just ask them to jam along to a chord progression, they're either lost with a blank stare, or they end up simply playing chunks of the many note-for-note solos they've learned....but it doesn't feel or sound natural.
I mean...you can really tell when a player is simply repeating a learned lead (they're often staring very hard at the fretboard, tongue hanging out)...VS... someone who is playing what they feel, and naturally improvising on the fly.

Sure, there's times when you have a specific, melodic line that needs to be played, because it ties in to other parts of the song arrangement...but like I said, way too often the players are stuck in that note-for-note, learned repetition.
That's why I prefer listening to some blues players, because very often they are improvising as they play...instead of listening to modern shredders, who are executing pre-planned/learned performances in many cases, and they'll pretty much play them the same way each time.

Granted, there's something to be said to learning and then repeating very complex phrases and doing it through a lengthy piece...most classical music is about that...playing note-for-note what is on the written page...but that ain't Rock music. :P
I agree. This really is a spectacular song and mix! Thanks! :biggrin:
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I was going to say that...but I didn't want to get too wordy. :smiles:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

HAHA! Jesus fuck. 4 pages of comments. Amazing. I'm lucky if I get 4 comments. :D

It's all been said. Sounds almost perfect. Great tune, too. I think the solo is awesome.

So, have we figured out what it's about? Sounds like you killed a bitch and you're still getting "inside of her", either sexually or literally. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:31 pm HAHA! Jesus fuck. 4 pages of comments. Amazing. I'm lucky if I get 4 comments. :D

It's all been said. Sounds almost perfect. Great tune, too. I think the solo is awesome.

So, have we figured out what it's about? Sounds like you killed a bitch and you're still getting "inside of her", either sexually or literally. :D
Thanks Rami! Where the fuck you been anyway? Yeah four pages...of mostly my own comments. :lollers2:

The song is about being attracted to women for their skin, and luring them home under the guise of sex but really I'm gonna kill them and literally get inside of them to wear their skin as a disguise. :cuckoo:

Like I said, it's a love song.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:59 pm I'm gonna kill them and literally get inside of them to wear their skin as a disguise.
Ah, so you're a romantic. Cool. That's actually exactly what I thought the lyrics were about. It's awesome. Lol! :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Ah, so you're a romantic. Cool. That's actually exactly what I thought the lyrics were about. It's awesome. Lol! :D
Thanks. I thought it was pretty stupid as I was writing it, but all my songs are stupid, so it works out. Once I had the melody sorted it came together and I liked it. :crazy:
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Stupid is good when it's deliberate. :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:17 pm Stupid is good when it's deliberate. :)
Oh God yes. Stupid is okay when it's supposed to be stupid. When you're serious and it's still stupid...that's real bad! :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:17 pm Stupid is good when it's deliberate. :)
Deliberate stupid - lots of examples.
Stupid stupid - well lots of examples but JASON still comes to mind.
Cheers
rayc
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Excellent work Monsieur LeBloodshit!!!

My granddaughter has been stayin with us the last three weeks and I can't get her off the computer log enough to check this stuff out. Finally kicked her to the other room for a while so I could catch up. This was my first opportunity to hear this.

This is pretty far from a genre I would excel in, but genre aside, I think this is a study in good tracking and mixing! Of course the performances are great all around, but beyond that, the tracking, arrangement, the mix all work very well. I love the sound of ride cymbals when executed and captured well, and the ride pings in this seem to carry the song forward while the kick and snare define and drive the groove. Even the final fade is really well executed. Superb all round!

I will likely download and save this as a reference track, just so I can strive for the distinct separation of the elements you have achieved here as I work on my own clunky stuff. Bravo!
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Great mix Greg - playing's great too, love the tones you're getting on those guitars. Those are the tones I heard growing up and you've nailed them. Very pro. I like it when you write love songs like this. :coolstorybro:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

einstein magoo wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:07 pm Excellent work Monsieur LeBloodshit!!!

My granddaughter has been stayin with us the last three weeks and I can't get her off the computer log enough to check this stuff out. Finally kicked her to the other room for a while so I could catch up. This was my first opportunity to hear this.

This is pretty far from a genre I would excel in, but genre aside, I think this is a study in good tracking and mixing! Of course the performances are great all around, but beyond that, the tracking, arrangement, the mix all work very well. I love the sound of ride cymbals when executed and captured well, and the ride pings in this seem to carry the song forward while the kick and snare define and drive the groove. Even the final fade is really well executed. Superb all round!

I will likely download and save this as a reference track, just so I can strive for the distinct separation of the elements you have achieved here as I work on my own clunky stuff. Bravo!
ido1957 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:43 pm Great mix Greg - playing's great too, love the tones you're getting on those guitars. Those are the tones I heard growing up and you've nailed them. Very pro. I like it when you write love songs like this. :coolstorybro:
Hey thanks for the comments and kind words guys. I appreciate it. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell