Inside Of You - haven't posted an original in a while...

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Re: Inside Of You - haven't posted an original in a while...

Post by JD01 »

That's the spirit! Who'd have thunk it, "Teh Gerg" theoretically shredding! I knew that all those essays and charts I sent you weren't wasted!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:51 am That's the spirit! Who'd have thunk it, "Teh Gerg" theoretically shredding! I knew that all those essays and charts I sent you weren't wasted!
Yeah except there was nothing theoretical about it! It was actually the exact opposite of theoretical. It was purely instinct. I had to actually sit with the fucking guitar to even figure out for myself what I did just so I could explain it. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm like that too quite often. I just smash out guitar parts off the cuff and I really like them. They when I come back to do proper keeper takes, sometimes weeks later, I have to sit down and work it out!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:05 am I'm like that too quite often. I just smash out guitar parts off the cuff and I really like them. They when I come back to do proper keeper takes, sometimes weeks later, I have to sit down and work it out!
Everything I do is off the cuff. I already knew going down to the relative minor would work on the descending part, so that is technically "theoretical", but I already knew that and just did it on the fly because I knew it would work. The little hammer on/pull off lick was just something I knew to do. I don't know how or why, I just knew to do it. In fact, it was so purely instinctual, I didn't even know the notes involved. Like I said, I had to look and figure it out...and I still got it wrong. I typed out the wrong notes. I just went back and edited that last post. :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:03 am
So....here's what I'm gonna do....I'm gonna keep both. I'll pan the first version to one side a little, and the surf version to the other. They're both essentially the same thing, so let's see how that does.
That would be VERY interesting! Let's hear it!
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:25 am Did you include some notes from the full aeolian/minor scale at the end too?
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:39 am Honestly, I have no idea. I don't know how many or what extra notes are in there. Switching to the relative minor for that one part is the limit of my theory knowledge.
You don't need to know and it's kinda better if you don't IMO once you've gone through the process of understanding them.

Leads (solos) are my specialty and I know all the theory stuff .... I majored in composition so i'm well versed in theory.
But pretty much anytime I've just played a solo you may have liked up on stage, if you were to walk up and asked me what scales or arpeggios or modes I used I'd have absolutely no idea.
Hell, I very well might not even know what key I was in and would have to stop and think ..... "hmmmm, that was in E ... no wait, G ...."
I've studied theory but it's not active in my mind at all while I'm playing a ride.

To me rides (solos) that are played, guided by just whatever sounds good to you, are almost always better and flow better as Greg's ride in this song does.
That's why I commented on the 'relaxed' feel of the ride ..... he clearly was just in the moment wanking his stubby little drumber fingers off and the ride shines for it.
It's really a lovely piece of wankery and though greg, as usual, is dismissive of his skillz, they're evident to me in this song and that solo.

If he were a bit more driven about the music thing he'd be a monster ..... got some serious talent there.

And I don't give that shit away ....... I'm a greg fanboi and there's really not many musicians I give that to.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:19 am he clearly was just in the moment wanking his stubby little drumber fingers off and the ride shines for it.
It's really a lovely piece of wankery and though greg, as usual, is dismissive of his skillz, they're evident to me in this song and that solo.
Yeah, Greg just thinks theory is anathema to his punk-rocker credentials!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:19 am
That would be VERY interesting! Let's hear it!
I'll do it later this afternoon.
You don't need to know and it's kinda better if you don't IMO once you've gone through the process of understanding them.

Leads (solos) are my specialty and I know all the theory stuff .... I majored in composition so i'm well versed in theory.
But pretty much anytime I've just played a solo you may have liked up on stage, if you were to walk up and asked me what scales or arpeggios or modes I used I'd have absolutely no idea.
Hell, I very well might not even know what key I was in and would have to stop and think ..... "hmmmm, that was in E ... no wait, G ...."
I've studied theory but it's not active in my mind at all while I'm playing a ride.

To me rides (solos) that are played, guided by just whatever sounds good to you, are almost always better and flow better as Greg's ride in this song does.
That's why I commented on the 'relaxed' feel of the ride ..... he clearly was just in the moment wanking his stubby little drumber fingers off and the ride shines for it.

If he were a bit more driven about the music thing he'd be a monster ..... got some serious talent there.

And I don't give that shit away ....... I'm a greg fanboi and there's really not many musicians I give that to.
Thanks a lot Boob. I really do appreciate the kind words. I do just play what comes naturally and seems right to me. I agree with you that those kinds of performances, on any instrument, sound better than some mapped out musical math homework. I suppose I could be a lot better if I tried, and sometimes I feel like I should be a lot better, but then I'm like, for what? It's not like I'm interested in playing complex music. My self-imposed narrow field of vision is a blessing and a curse. I'm pretty limited in what I can do. But I feel like my few strengths are pretty damn strong.
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:23 am
Yeah, Greg just thinks theory is anathema to his punk-rocker credentials!
My problem with music theory has always been the application of theory. Or rather, the deliberate reliance on theory. I know that as one progresses, they pick up things that are actual theory. Including myself. I know things that are theory and didn't even know I knew them until I stumbled onto something else. It's not about punk rock. It's just about being loose and free and not adhering to any stupid road maps to make music. I don't want to play scales or drum rudiments. I want to play songs. And all of my favorite songs from my favorite players in my favorite bands are songs that are basic and fun and energetic and accessible and easy to listen to and easy to play without needing a music degree.

Johnny Thunders playing a sloppy solo while falling over on heroin is ten trillion times cooler than Yngwie's scale exercises masquerading as music.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:04 pm Johnny Thunders playing a sloppy solo while falling over on heroin is ten trillion times cooler than Yngwie's scale exercises masquerading as music.
This is true
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:09 pm
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:04 pm Johnny Thunders playing a sloppy solo while falling over on heroin is ten trillion times cooler than Yngwie's scale exercises masquerading as music.
This is true
And another ditto ..... in fact, now I wanna get some heroin!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Heroin makes everything better.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:17 pm Heroin makes everything better.
gives you something to put in your needles
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:03 am So....here's what I'm gonna do....I'm gonna keep both. I'll pan the first version to one side a little, and the surf version to the other. They're both essentially the same thing, so let's see how that does.
I like the sound of that!

I kind of agree that the surf solo is a little harsh on the attack. I wonder if that might be a technique thing? How hard are you picking during the tremolo part? That's where it really sticks out to me.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:16 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:09 pm
This is true
And another ditto ..... in fact, now I wanna get some heroin!
Listening to this now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQWRXJDMcb8

LOL - the solo of Born to Lose sounds like Greg!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:40 pm

I like the sound of that!

I kind of agree that the surf solo is a little harsh on the attack. I wonder if that might be a technique thing? How hard are you picking during the tremolo part? That's where it really sticks out to me.
I don't know, regular hard? Lol. It's not supposed to be nice clean smooth jazz tones with reverb. It's gotta be a little nasty, little fuzzy, clean with bite...and a lot of reverb. :lollers:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:44 pm
Listening to this now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQWRXJDMcb8

LOL - the solo of Born to Lose sounds like Greg!
That's a great album. One of my favorites. It shouldn't be any surprise that I play sort of like that.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:26 am Really suits the song though and doesn't sound wanky at all. :shred: :like:
Unlike some people's solos we could mention. :mad3: :frown: :mad2:

Sorry I haven't listened yet Greg - shit got real with job applications and I'm just fucking snowed under.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:31 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:26 am Really suits the song though and doesn't sound wanky at all. :shred: :like:
Unlike some people's solos we could mention. :mad3: :frown: :mad2:

Sorry I haven't listened yet Greg - shit got real with job applications and I'm just fucking snowed under.
That's good news mate!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:31 pm Unlike some people's solos we could mention. :mad3: :frown: :mad2:
:eek: :lollers2:
Aw man, it's no big deal. You aint missing anything! Good luck with your job search! :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Alright, here's the stupid mix again with both intro versions included.
Inside of You.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

that works for me