Inside Of You - haven't posted an original in a while...

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

Re: Inside Of You - haven't posted an original in a while...

Post by rayc »

New intro solo - OH YEAH!
Nuff sed.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:51 pm New intro solo - OH YEAH!
Nuff sed.
Ha thanks. You think it's better than the first one? I did the surfy one as more like a proof of concept, but I think it's okay as-is.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

As usual, sounds great!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Ok .... new intro is way mo' better .... first one sounded pretty generic .... this fits much better and is also more original sounding.

Don't dare touch the middle solo though .... that one couldn't be bettered by anyone.

You'll prolly hate this but the overall sound reminds me a lot of the production sound they got on Rocky Horror's rock and roll songs.
Very live sounding but with studio quality toans.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:19 pm As usual, sounds great!
Thanks liver. :like:
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:15 pm Ok .... new intro is way mo' better .... first one sounded pretty generic .... this fits much better and is also more original sounding.

Don't dare touch the middle solo though .... that one couldn't be bettered by anyone.

You'll prolly hate this but the overall sound reminds me a lot of the production sound they got on Rocky Horror's rock and roll songs.
Very live sounding but with studio quality toans.

Thanks Boob, that's great. Live but not live is pretty much a sound/style I go for. I don't want to sound like a single guy doing everything one bit at a time. :robus:
Rebel Yell
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

That guitar intro is much better. It's just a bit loud and a little pointy. A bit heavy on the reverb. But I thought it worked very well.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

TripleM wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:28 pm That guitar intro is much better. It's just a bit loud and a little pointy. A bit heavy on the reverb. But I thought it worked very well.
Lol wtf is pointy?

I said I was gonna go surftastic. It is what it is now. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

A little abrasive. A little strong in the mid-2Ks. Pointy.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

TripleM wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:13 pm A little abrasive. A little strong in the mid-2Ks. Pointy.
Nah, it's not. I'm standing firm on this one.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I actually preferred version 1. Version 2 is probably more of a Greg style thing to do though. Sounds like its got buckets of verb on it.

Just listening to it through again this morning, you really start shredding your bollocks off at 2:20 or so, that's a really cool rapid descending line at 2:28 and you even get a bit Randy Modal on the last lick! Really suits the song though and doesn't sound wanky at all. :shred: :like:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:56 pm
rayc wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:51 pm New intro solo - OH YEAH!
Nuff sed.
Ha thanks. You think it's better than the first one? I did the surfy one as more like a proof of concept, but I think it's okay as-is.
I prefer the original - if lifted a little as previously mentioned - but the surf twang is fresh, well done and fun if somewhat detached as there's not any more of the same in the body of the song.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:26 am I actually preferred version 1. Version 2 is probably more of a Greg style thing to do though. Sounds like its got buckets of verb on it.

Just listening to it through again this morning, you really start shredding your bollocks off at 2:20 or so, that's a really cool rapid descending line at 2:28 and you even get a bit Randy Modal on the last lick! Really suits the song though and doesn't sound wanky at all. :shred: :like:
Lol thanks man. I don't know about "shred", but it's an okay solo I guess. I just wanted to do something rock and roll. Those are just licks I already knew how to do. It's pretty much my entire repertoire. :lollers2:

The descending line is actually very very simple. I think you'll appreciate my use of theory wankery here. The song is in B maj. And what's the one lead scale I know? The minor pentatonic. And what's the relative minor of B maj? G# minor. So that's what it is. A descending G# minor pentatonic in triplets - the B major's retarded stepbrother. :metal:

I can play a major scale anywhere, but the minor pentatonic positions just flow better for me because I've played them a quadrillion times. Any time I need a happy major scale sound but wanna use the minor pentatonic, I just play the relative minor pentatonic. Works every time.
rayc wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:23 am I prefer the original - if lifted a little as previously mentioned - but the surf twang is fresh, well done and fun if somewhat detached as there's not any more of the same in the body of the song.
Thanks Ray. I'm at a crossroads now. I like both versions. The surf style was my original intention, but indifference took over at first and the first version happened. I'm fine with it. Then trying the surf version happened and I like it too.

So....here's what I'm gonna do....I'm gonna keep both. I'll pan the first version to one side a little, and the surf version to the other. They're both essentially the same thing, so let's see how that does.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool, it does sound like its something that's totally under your fingers and you're not struggling in any way or stumbling on any notes.

Did you include some notes from the full aeolian/minor scale at the end too?

Will be cool to hear both versions hard panned
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:25 am

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't know how many or what extra notes are in there. Switching to the relative minor for that one part is the limit of my theory knowledge. Anything else is purely off-the-cuff luck from experience and familiarity with my own style. :confused:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:39 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:25 am

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't know how many or what extra notes are in there. Switching to the relative minor for that one part is the limit of my theory knowledge. Anything else is purely off-the-cuff luck from experience and familiarity with my own style. :confused:
On the G# Minor scale that would just be E and Bb - just the extra two that aren't in the minor pentatonic.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:42 am
On the G# Minor scale that would just be E and Bb - just the extra two that aren't in the minor pentatonic.
I just grabbed a guitar and played that part. There does not appear to be an E or a Bflat in that descending part. It's just a G# minor pentatonic.
4-7
4-7
4-6
4-6
4-6
4-7
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I meant the end bit, the fast descending lick is obviously pentatonic
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:13 am I meant the end bit, the fast descending lick is obviously pentatonic
Oh, I don't know what "end bit" means. There's a lead guitar track that goes all the way to the end of the song.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Not at my desk now. But I think it's at about 240. The end of the solo section. Just curious as to what you're doing
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:21 am Not at my desk now. But I think it's at about 240. The end of the solo section. Just curious as to what you're doing
Lol. I have no idea what I'm doing.

The little part at the end of the main solo, right before the chorus comes back in, is...wait....

Guitar on my lap....Okay I come out of a C# bend on the G string. 16th fret. Full step bend. Release that bend on the same fret, which is now it's natural B. Wiggle the B a little. Okay here's the B flat you mentioned. From that wiggling B, I drop a fret, pick the B flat, hammer back on to B, pull off back to B flat. Drop to a picked G#, hammer on to B flat, pull off back to G#. Drop to a picked F#, hammer on to G#, pull off back to F# to end the main solo. So it's like three little groups of two note hammer on/pull offs. Lol. All that for 3 seconds of 4 notes. :shred:
Last edited by Greg_L on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Yell