"Arabian" New Bubba original - work in progress.

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
einstein magoo

Re: "Arabian" New Bubba original - work in progress.

Post by einstein magoo »

We must have posted exactly simultaneously. Yours got through, mine did not so here it is again.

I figured our what I did wrong and took three or two listens. Very nice! Nice lyrics too!

I am hearing a lot of sibilance, particularly in the chorus but elsewhere also. I like the verb as it is. Great work so far!
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Edit: Two more small nits...Leans a little left, maybe consider moving the piano to the right? Bass is lacking to me, though usually my system reproduced bass pretty well, so? I'll let someone else get in now.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Thanks, Einstein - Yes, there is sibilance that needs sorting out but it might be simpler to re-track. I've just bought a metal pop screen from SE electronics and that seems to be causing it. I'll use it in conjunction with the stocking filter tomorrow and retrack. :)

You say the bass seems lacking? It's filling the room at my end! :suspicious: I actually thought I'd overdone it a bit.
Haggard Musician :mad:
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

You're right Bubba, I stand corrected. I guess when the chorus kicks in the highs take over a little, but the bass is still there. The last thing I was hearing was the outro solo and that's played over the chorus so I guess that's where I erred. Yeah, the bass is strong, don't allow me to me sidetrack you. Made me go back and listen again dincha?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:06 pm Right, I've had a little fiddle with it - not going to do too much before the drums get done. Is this an improvement?
Arabian.mp3
This sounds better to me.... but I'm quite pissed, just watched radiohead set at Glastonbury with a few beers and a bottle of red.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:23 pm
Bubba wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:06 pm Right, I've had a little fiddle with it - not going to do too much before the drums get done. Is this an improvement?
Arabian.mp3
This sounds better to me.... but I'm quite pissed, just watched radiohead set at Glastonbury with a few beers and a bottle of red.
It's still on for me. The soundcloud link is updated. i've gone big on the verse verb. :suspicious:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Yep - liking this vocal style much better than the draft one you sent me. Fits nicely.

The crescendo at the end where the wanky guitar solo (WGS) comes in makes it really take off and the WGS fits in nicely with the rest of the tune - no yacht rock happening here... :biggrin:

Only nits from me are that (a) I reckon the chorus vocals are a touch loud compared to the verse and could come back a dB or two, and there's a bit too much reverb sibilance on the chorus that might benefit from... :robus: the Abbey Road Reverb Trick... :lollers2: No, but seriously, I'd take the top end of it off in the chorus.

Good stuff. Just have to get that son of yours into the studio to bash you out some drums!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:02 am Good stuff. Just have to get that son of yours into the studio to bash you out some drums!
It's a great idea really, can't find decent band members - breed them
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:26 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:23 pm

It's still on for me. The soundcloud link is updated. i've gone big on the verse verb. :suspicious:
I turned it off and went to bed during Bodysnatchers - by that point I was watching it through one eye to keep it in focus!

Just listned to the latest in the Soundcloud link - I think the levels are right now, there's a few bits poking out in the vocal, probably what Armistice is alluding but that's all beyond me really. Looking forward to the Frank version now.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I've just listened to the MP3 version. VERY cool Bob.
WGS is what was needed and it fulfilled its role.
Frankly speaking I think Frank's drums will allow this to swing just a little bit.
Cool.
I just thought of how the effected chorus guitar reminds me of Magazine & then I thought if you cool Devoto impersonations and then wanted to hear this sung by Howie.
Strange how minds work - or don't.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lyrics seem very lovecraftian. Cool.

re: the bass volume: the instrument itself is loud in the mix, but I don't know if it has a lot of low end.

The chorus feels way louder overall than the verses do.

I might double check your vocal reverb. It sounds kind of tin-can-esque now.

Otherwise, the instruments within each section seem pretty balanced.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This turned out pretty deadly bubba. Sorry i am so late getting back to the party :( Looking forward to frank's contribution man. Pianos are cool. I love that they found a home in this song.

Really loving the intro bit. I quite like it on a 2nd listen.
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Thanks, everybody. :) Frank and I set up and miked the kit today. We also went and cleared somebody's garden, so any actual recording will be done tomorrow! Watch this space. :)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:33 pm Thanks, everybody. :) Frank and I set up and miked the kit today. We also went and cleared somebody's garden, so any actual recording will be done tomorrow! Watch this space. :)
subscribed. I hope for your sake there will be no kazoo-ing.

I hear you are shit at it. :lollers2: :lollers2: :like: :happytrees: :sherlock: :sherlock: :sherlock:
:happytrees:
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Good tune - only one thing that I noticed...The volume pops one the chorus a bit more than I'd prefer, The idea is good but too obvious for me.
Other than that the whole thing is a good mix, and reminds of something the Beatles might have written. Creative and melodic.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

And now, ladies and gentlemen, for your delight and delectation, with real drums played by young Frank!

Last edited by Bubba on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This is ace, I listened to it again when I was driving this morning - haven't managed to listen on good headphones or monitors yet.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

thanks, jd - I'm pretty pleased with it. :)
paulman

Post by paulman »

Finally got around to listening to this on monitors, a month later. It's a really cool song with a nice groove underneath that melody. The mix has a nice warm fat sound. I like it.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

paulman wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:54 pm Finally got around to listening to this on monitors, a month later. It's a really cool song with a nice groove underneath that melody. The mix has a nice warm fat sound. I like it.
Glad you bumped it up.
I'm listening to the last rendition with the drums, and it's sounding very nice. :coolstorybro:
I would maybe give the drums a touch of sparkle...not much. Maybe just the snare..it has bit of dull "tonk" to it.
Not talking lot's of "POP"...just some presence.

Also, the guitar on the left could come up a pinch to better match the right side guitar.