What my son did at college - "There's One" by Ewan Kinrade

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Bubba

What my son did at college - "There's One" by Ewan Kinrade

Post by Bubba »

Every year my son's music college put out a sampler album of the best of their Students' output for that year. Frank was asked to drum on this session. All the tracking, playing and mixing was done by students in the college facility. What do you think?

Haggard Musician :mad:
ido1957

Re: What my son did at college - "There's One" by Ewan Kinrade

Post by ido1957 »

Maybe my ears haven't woke up yet but the lead vocal has a strenuous piercing sound to it occasionally.
Drums are too low lol... had to say that to support your son, actually they are fine and playing is great.
On the positive side, this is a very well mixed (except for vocals) and well written piece - quite high level of arrangement performance etc.
Kudos to all performers and to you for letting your son go to music college and not insisting on a degree in Atomic science. :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
muttley

Post by muttley »

I'm getting Crowded House (but not in a bad way)... :coolstorybro:
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Nice!
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
rayc

Post by rayc »

Great drumming Bubba - well done Frank.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nice!

Very polished.

I was thinking it was a little unbalanced at first, but that was just not all the instruments being there yet, I suppose.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This sounds full as hell. Very professional and shiny. They out did themselves with out overdoing it. I am not sure piercing is the word i would use for the vocals but i am going to echo Ido and say that there is something going on there i am not in love with.

Love those strings though in all seriousness what an amazing touch. totally made the song for me. I am such a sucker for strings though.
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:05 pm This sounds full as hell. Very professional and shiny. They out did themselves with out overdoing it. I am not sure piercing is the word i would use for the vocals but i am going to echo Ido and say that there is something going on there i am not in love with.

Love those strings though in all seriousness what an amazing touch. totally made the song for me. I am such a sucker for strings though.
Thanks, everybody!. I have to say, I'm not getting the vocal thing that you and Ido are talking about. I'm guessing it must be some kind of "Whistle tone" that's more prominent on some monitors than on others. It would be easy to notch that out I suppose, but I think the CD (I know, how quaint!) has gone to manufacturing, now.

If I were to criticise it myself, I would say that, fantastic as those (real) strings are, they could come down a dB or two in places, and the drums are are a tiny bit low. But I agree, it's a sterling job. I like how Frank's Β£400 Zildjian K custom ride cymbal can just be heard tailing out at the end, too. :D
Last edited by Bubba on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
rayc

Post by rayc »

FOUR HUNDRED QUID ride? Wow, I could by my own ride with that down here - complete with a tank of petrol! (Sorry had to!!).
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

rayc wrote: ↑Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:38 am FOUR HUNDRED QUID ride? Wow, I could by my own ride with that down here - complete with a tank of petrol! (Sorry had to!!).
LOL. I know. :redface: It was the 18th birthday gift that he desired and, being that he will probably never be able to drive, I was happy to get him something that would cut the mustard in any professional recording session.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:05 pm This sounds full as hell. Very professional and shiny. They out did themselves with out overdoing it. I am not sure piercing is the word i would use for the vocals but i am going to echo Ido and say that there is something going on there i am not in love with.

the vox sounds like they're using an exciter and got a bit too excited with it.

Drumming is excellent but they have it mixed too far back for my taste.
Definitely high quality and, as someone said, very full sounding ..... impressive except those drums are so good they should be driving things a little more.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I hate that snare sound. Terrible. But it kind of works for the song. I love the twang-bang guitar on the left.

Your son is a fine drummer for sure. I've been playing longer than he's been alive and he smokes me. Tell them to mix him better. They lost his kick completely.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:08 pm I hate that snare sound. Terrible. But it kind of works for the song. I love the twang-bang guitar on the left.

Your son is a fine drummer for sure. I've been playing longer than he's been alive and he smokes me. Tell them to mix him better. They lost his kick completely.
That snare sound is a bit... erm... marmite. Frank loves it, I just don't know where I went wrong :facepalm2: . This is the second mix after I told him to tell them the drums were too quiet. :facepalm2:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: ↑Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:58 am

That snare sound is a bit... erm... marmite. Frank loves it, I just don't know where I went wrong :facepalm2: . This is the second mix after I told him to tell them the drums were too quiet. :facepalm2:
Sounds like a singer/guitarist mix. They never get the drums right.
Rebel Yell