Revisiting old songs - Fools

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
vomitHatSteve

Revisiting old songs - Fools

Post by vomitHatSteve »

About a decade ago I really started focusing on home recording.
Needless to say, My early results were terrible, and I hate them.

So I'm starting on a project to rescue as many of those old tracks as I can find. There will also be much shenanigans with procedurally-generated beats and synths and the other weird stuff I've gotten into since then. Tho I will try to re-track as little as possible.

So here's the first song: Fools - Regdar and the Fighters

I've included the old mix for comparison.

I re-sequenced the drums and midi vox and retracked the bass and rhythm guitars, but kept the vocals and lead guitars.

What do you think? Am I ending up with something semi-coherent? Am I just polishing a turd? Would I be better off throwing it all out and starting from scratch?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Revisiting old songs - Fools

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This is an awesome idea steve. I have started doing 100% do overs of old songs that never got recorded well. great idea man.

I will review this song shortly! I have some free time for an hour or so and i intend to review some songs before i mow!! BRB!!!!
:happytrees:
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

First who is Sam Schatz???
Words and music by Stephen "Fighter #1" Smith (assuming that's you?)
The new mix is better for me as it is way clearer. The old mix is kinda cool with the stereo-ish vocals and I do prefer the girl vocals being panned. But overall the new mix shows an improvement is overall sonics and eq. Not getting much bass guitar so I'm guessing there may not be any - just synth?
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Ha ha! Whoops! Sam Schatz was the professional frisbee player from Tron. The last song I was demoing was about him, and I forgot to edit the text.

There is bass, but I may need to mess with it to get it more coherent and loud.

I noticed when I switched to headphones that I'd forgotten to pan the vocaloid. I'll definitely revisit that on the next mix.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've put a new mix up at the same link: http://www.regdarandthefighters.com/dow ... d/SG9wcGVy

Way more bass primarily.
I also have the guitars ducking the vocals a lot less.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Bass sounds good but needs to bed in with the drums more - that means lifting the drums I suppose- or the kick at least and that'd mean the left channel seems fuller than the right.
I haven't played Spolier in a while - I'll do that tomorrow.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I started out reviewing these at work ( i am in the office not at home) and i can't fairly listen to them this new computer they gave me compresses the shit out of anything i listen to? Sorry man.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Good call, Ray. New mix with a lot more kick up: http://www.regdarandthefighters.com/dow ... d/SG9wcGVy
The snare is probably also a little up. In order to keep things balanced, the rest of the kit is probably a touch quieter.

No bigs, Jack. I only comment on half the songs that uploaded here myself, so I can hardly expect everyone to listen to all of my songs!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Steve. I will be listening to this track on my proper reference cans in the morning. Been busy as fuck rhe last few days.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just listened to it on ear buds and nothing is sticking out ad being wrong. Other than the while thing sounds pretty lo-fi, but that's just me thinking how I'd do it differently.

Your music is quite original thiugh, Steve. This is a weird reference but I think you'll get it. It's what I would imagine would be playing if you could walk into a rock bar in the TRON world. Do you know what I mean?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok finally on something decent to listen to your tunes on.

Huge difference between 2008 and now. huge. It isn't wearing a blanket and little faster.

My ears are sort of favoring Mix 2. Mix 3 has some added ear nuggets that could probably be cool if they weren't so loud Steve. The claps and the 8bit sounding splash in the into part. Not sure if that was the desired outcome. They sort of over power your vocals. Or maybe a better way to put it is they sort of distract me from the rest of the stuff going on. Other than i got nothing. No real build up of anything that i am hearing and nothing is shredding my ears to pieces.

I dig everything the bass is doing in this song.

Also was this track art intentional or is this my computer being a total asshole to me?

rayc

Post by rayc »

Kick n bass seem happy together now.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'm kinda liking mix 3 best myself .... like the tunage .... still feel the bass could use a bit more punch .... it's nice bass work ..... I'd like it to be slightly more prominent
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

New mix. Same link.

I've tweaked the bass tone to make it more mid-rangey and bumped the glitch drums down a touch.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I remember me some vintage Regdar.

Mix 4 sounds pretty cool. The vocals are your usual rushed-talk vocal style, but I can't really make any of it out. Bring em up some.
Rebel Yell