Did a song-ish

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Lt. Bob

Did a song-ish

Post by Lt. Bob »

I've talked about this at other sites but I'm not sure I've have here, so a word or two about my recording process and intended results.

I'm extremely casual about recording .... had a studio in the house now for around 45 years.
When I record these days, it's the 'doing of it' that I'm into. and I don't obsess about much because I'm simply being curious about a sound or thought I have ..... I have an idea and I want to see what it'll sound like. I already know I can work on something and make it perfect so what's the point? Been there .... done that ..... don't care.
Plus there's no hope of EVER having commercial value nor do I care.
So I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing ....... when I record it's always an impulse to see what I can do with some new pedal or how could the 12 string work with a fuzz or just whatever occurs to me to do.
Since I'm experimenting I tend to take 2nd, 3rd 4th takes ..... rarely go much more than that.
Kinda like a demo of an idea.
It could be that in the future I may want to try one more time to do something of note and I'll certainly obsess over every little detail .... but right now I just play around with whatever my latest whim was.

So yesterday I decided I needed to record something dammit!
Does my stuff even work anymore?
I used whatever was sitting out and maybe hooked up ..... this included a Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator pedal ( oh good God ) and a SDC for the vocal

I had approximately 3-4 hours so it had to be fast.

Regrettably this happened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Re: Did a song-ish

Post by JD01 »

You probably don't give a shit about detailed mix critiques, Bob, although the mix is fine.

So I'll just say it was a fun tune, that made my smile while I was listening to it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

LOL - hilarious Mr Boob.

And in the spirit of the tune, I ain't never gonna listen to it no mo' neither. Shucks... :lollers:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I found this a little heavy on the soul-searching, Lt. Not all of us can bear profound topics like this, particularly when it's delivered in such a bombastic, hectoring way.

You should lighten it up a little.

;)
Haggard Musician :mad:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 am You probably don't give a shit about detailed mix critiques, Bob, although the mix is fine.
absolutely correct ..... I'll never fool with it no mo'.

Actually just trying to get into the routine of recording .... I feel like I'm running out of time to do stuff and I'd like to maybe, one more time, do some decent recordings and the first step is to get a flkow happening so I'll possibly turn out a few things like this while doing that.

Or I might just let the dust gather on the gear again .... but I may not ..... I sorta feel like recording again ...... maybe.

I WAS actually kinda happy with the pedal steel sound I got .... I'ma using that for something someday
Bubba wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:07 am I found this a little heavy on the soul-searching ...... You should lighten it up a little.

;)
In today's world I suppose deep thoughts aren't very welcome but my mind is a seething mass of darkness and it just comes out in my art.
:facepalm:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Those bgvox sound really nice.

If y ou're gonna go back and make any adjustments, maybe take down the steel guitar a touch and bring up the lead vox. Some lyrics got buried.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

thanks ..... I may do that
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Pretty cool! I dig those harmonies at the beginning and the guitar tone around1:00 is pretty interesting yet pleasing. As usual, nice work!
rayc

Post by rayc »

That's fun and well done.
My only mix crit would that as the texture gets denser for that short period the vox need to come up a little.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

good comment ..... I'll watch for that .... hell, I may even go back and do another mix!
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Sounds good Lt Bob, upping the vocals per Ray is the only thing I heard as well but it wasn't a major issue.
Love the steel guitar you're getting and the riffs are tasty. I held on at the end waiting for the resolve of the steel - sure enough perfect :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

lol .... an old black bass player leaned over one night during a gig and told me I'm 'bout as black as a white boy can be
:lollers2:
Roman

Post by Roman »

That was fun. Enjoyed it more than a lot of 'serious' songs.
Something quite liberating about not giving a fuck. :)

I liked the little bit of Allman bros 'borrowing'

You should do an album. Call it "Songs in the key of I Don't Give A Fuck"
:D
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Roman wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:44 am
I liked the little bit of Allman bros 'borrowing'

nice .... thank you for noticing that ....

:sherlock:

That's a nice album title too!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. This is awesome. I love the faux pedal steel. How the fuck do you do that?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

thanks .... I like doing that shit

it's thru a compressor and I play three notes bending one a full step usually.
For instance one I use a lot is say in the key of E , I'd use my ring finger to fret the E and B strings at the 12th fret and the first finger on the G string .... then I'll use the middle finger on the G string at the 11th fret and bend that one up a full step. That ends up being an E major.

There are various positions but they're all basically bending a string up an entire step against two non moving notes.