Hour Glass

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Greg_L

Re: Hour Glass

Post by Greg_L »

ido1957 wrote: ↑Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:55 pm Final mix ? Spent most of the weekend playing around with this, surprising how much work goes into mixing lol.... Many eq, automation and reverb changes to get to this stage. This should be it for now - sent it to Mike for bass check but the rest I'm pretty much happy with.

:guitarhero:
This thing sounds hollow now to me now. I thought something was wrong with my system. You took out too many mids. The middle is empty. The drums sound better, vocals sound good, but the guitars seem dull and hollow to me now. Put those mids back in lol.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

After a 14 hour day at work and coffee way too late in the day, figured I'd remix this over again. You'd figure by now I'd be close...maybe,maybe not :)
... New mix with kick and mids addressed. I'll try and catch up on the other new tunes/threads tomorrow morning before I start working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Much nicer - I didn't notice the missing mids until they were put back.
Cheers
rayc
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Thanks Ray - yeah my ears are definitely not golden. Thankfully there's guys like Greg and JD to steer me straight. I'm still up (too much coffee) and the girls are at the airport picking up my nephew while I catch up on dinner and some late news.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ido1957 wrote: ↑Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:34 am JD to steer me straight.
:lollers2: :lollers:
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

I'm a song guy and this is a really good song. Still, it feels like I'm listening to it with a bad cold and clogged ears, or it's a cassette tape I found under the car seat 5 or 6 years later. That's the only way I can describe what I'm hearing. It's not really that bad, but just kinda dull sound wise. I hope someone else with skills agrees and comes along with advice to remedy, cause this IS a really good song! Hey, maybe I just have a bad cold and don't know it yet?
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Thanks Magoo. You're fine - You'll have to wait another few years until I find that button in Sonar :) . I'm still figuring this whole thing out lol...
If I were to make a guess I'd wager a different reverb would be more appealing for you. Right now I'm running plates and they tend to be very dry sounding as compared to halls and chambers. I have the PCM bundle and wish I had more time to dig deeper than I have so far into halls and rooms but work is busy (yay) and my opportunities to play around are limited and usually rushed.... Anyway thanks :)
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

And just need to add that everyone is helpful on my crappy mixes, not just JD and Greg lol....
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Went to Mike's and listened on his system, then in the truck. Did some fine tuning - I'll be more than happy if this is passable so I can move on to the latest in the queue. :like:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Jeez.... had to go through the whole thread to work out which mix to listen to... :biggrin:

Mix is sounding pretty good to me ido - sorry I missed the evolution. Only criticism from me is that I'd like to hear the crescendoing guitars at the end a bit higher - you've got that da da da, da da da riffy thing repeated throughout at a reasonable volume and just after it plays at 2:22 there seems to be a period where they disappear back in a bit before coming out a bit more right at the death. Given what you're doing there, I'd be putting a bit more emphasis in that last 10 seconds.

Nice.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Thanks Armistice - I'll look a little closer at that ending. I need to make sure that part isn't louder than the vocals/rest of the song, which it was initially. I don't have any compression on the mix itself, so trying to keep levels even. I suppose I could lower the rhythm guitars maybe to compensate.