Guess The Tone Settings!! 1st TRR Sponsored Contest

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Guess The Tone Settings!! 1st TRR Sponsored Contest

Post by vomitHatSteve »

miroslav wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:03 am This is a family forum...let's keep the sex-n-drugs references to a minimum.
You can't censor math, maaan!

:D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:34 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:14 am
off topic but I read an interesting article last year (I'll try to find it ) where an amp guy that worked at Budda showed the freq repsonse of all kinds of amps and every single one of them was scooped even with the mids maxed out!

It was really surprising .... even the most middy amps you can think of had a pronounced scoop.
It's my very rudimentary understanding that the tone stack really puts a load on the preamp tubes and the result is midrange loss. And when you put that tone stack at the end of all of the gain stages, that's a lot of signal loss. The signal is sort of fixed by a cathode follower in the tone stack, but since most tone controls use audio taper pots and they're passive - filter only - they can't boost - then the midrange loss is just what it is. But it all works out because we humans have no problem hearing midrange.
I probably just really worry about having too much "mids" 'cos of my amp - when what I really mean is that I am always trying to dial out very specific low mids where there's quite a bump
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My victory package came from Canada's frozen tundra today. Thanks to Shan and Mrs K for using my real name "Gerk" on the shipping label. The mailman knew exactly where it goes. :coolstorybro:

So I open the package and see this. Oatmeal bars in French? WTF kind of weirdo contests do they have in Canada where oatmeal is the prize? :lollers2:

Flip the box, now I see. They ate my prize and just sent me the box! :frown:

No, the treats were inside. A set of strings, and an assortment of stickers with a music/canadian theme. Nice! I like stickers.

But the real prize is the most Canadian of all - a hockey puck. A Fender hockey puck. So Canadian!

Custom engraved to commemorate my victory!

So thank you Shan for the treats. In the immortal words of Ricky Henderson - "Lou Brock was the symbol of great base stealing. But today, I'm the greatest of all time. Thank you."
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

That's a nice stack of treats. :D I was kind of expecting a TRR beaverskin hat. :D
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:13 pm That's a nice stack of treats. :D I was kind of expecting a TRR beaverskin hat. :D
They know it's way too hot down here for a hat like that!
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I thought it may've been the series DVDs of Due South.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

:happytrees: :like:
:happytrees:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Hey...you could have gotten the frozen sausage instead...via air mail.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/new-f ... 4kOiK1eEN/
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Awesome, Greg! and nice going WJack!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:14 pm Hey...you could have gotten the frozen sausage instead...via air mail.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/new-f ... 4kOiK1eEN/
I wish. I love italian sausage.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

FYI,

I used one of my wifes artsy fartsy scrapbooking pens to write on the puck. I usually try to have much better penmanship but having not ever used a silver paint pen on a fucking hockey puck before the act was a smidge foreign to me.

Future efforts will have better outcomes.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:57 pm FYI,

I used one of my wifes artsy fartsy scrapbooking pens to write on the puck. I usually try to have much better penmanship but having not ever used a silver paint pen on a fucking hockey puck before the act was a smidge foreign to me.

Future efforts will have better outcomes.
I will always be your first, and that's special.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Didn't even have to buy you dinner. :lollers: :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:27 pm Didn't even have to buy you dinner. :lollers: :lollers:
I know, you already ate the fucking oatmeal bars, you butthole!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

AHAHAHA!!!! Brilliant. The story behind that, (because there is one) was that when i went to find an appropriate sized shipping box that stupid package of strings it didn't fit in any of them. you'd think a small rectangle box would be easy to come by but it really wasn't. Canada Post sold them for like 3 or 4 bucks. My wife sells galsses and was like "i have tons of boxes that would be perfect for that"!

none of them were.

I just got mad and went home and rummaged through the recycle bag. I knew i'd find something there.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:42 pm AHAHAHA!!!! Brilliant. The story behind that, (because there is one) was that when i went to find an appropriate sized shipping box that stupid package of strings it didn't fit in any of them. you'd think a small rectangle box would be easy to come by but it really wasn't. Canada Post sold them for like 3 or 4 bucks. My wife sells galsses and was like "i have tons of boxes that would be perfect for that"!

none of them were.

I just got mad and went home and rummaged through the recycle bag. I knew i'd find something there.
Lol. You sent me my prizes in a box from your trash. Perfect!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:50 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:42 pm AHAHAHA!!!! Brilliant. The story behind that, (because there is one) was that when i went to find an appropriate sized shipping box that stupid package of strings it didn't fit in any of them. you'd think a small rectangle box would be easy to come by but it really wasn't. Canada Post sold them for like 3 or 4 bucks. My wife sells galsses and was like "i have tons of boxes that would be perfect for that"!

none of them were.

Lol. You sent me my prizes in a box from your trash. Perfect!
Punk Rock Baby! :jam: