Shit Sandwich

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Audio Monster

Re: Shit Sandwich

Post by Audio Monster »

Fuck, I really like this song. Love the signature guitar piece between verses. Songs like this, I don't care about imperfections...was I supposed to be listening for any?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Audio Monster wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 2:24 am Fuck, I really like this song. Love the signature guitar piece between verses. Songs like this, I don't care about imperfections...was I supposed to be listening for any?
Wahey! I have a fan!

Thanks, mate. I seem to be getting in to this slightly early 90s sounding pop-punk thing, before it became too poppy. All my music sounds pretty much the same these days.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well .... I like the newist mix but I also liked mix 2.

I'm gonna swin a bit against the current here which will prolly lead to my drowning.
First .... I didn't find the bass guitar too clacky on any of the mixes .... the excessive 'clack', to me, was all the kick which I still found too clacky for my taste on the newest mix.
Vox absolutely sounds its best on latest mix .... guitars sound pretty good ... tunage is nice .... good song.
And the vox is pretty good man .... you don't need to be too shy about your vocals ..... they're good so get them mixed where they can be heard (which you did on the last mix)

Nice work ...... oh, and I don't mind the boxy snare .... now Greg is king of tone and drumb sound so whatever he says has to carry a lot more weight than what I think BUT back in the day there was a time when drumbers went for a sound almost like a cardboard box .... pretty dark and short duration.
I still like that sound personally for some things and it works on this song to my ears.
Now when Greg says I'm wrong listen to him ...... but to me it's a decent sound.

Of course I prolly don't hear above 12k
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Awesome. Cheers bob
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:39 am well .... I like the newist mix but I also liked mix 2.

I'm gonna swin a bit against the current here which will prolly lead to my drowning.
First .... I didn't find the bass guitar too clacky on any of the mixes .... the excessive 'clack', to me, was all the kick which I still found too clacky for my taste on the newest mix.
Vox absolutely sounds its best on latest mix .... guitars sound pretty good ... tunage is nice .... good song.
And the vox is pretty good man .... you don't need to be too shy about your vocals ..... they're good so get them mixed where they can be heard (which you did on the last mix)

Nice work ...... oh, and I don't mind the boxy snare .... now Greg is king of tone and drumb sound so whatever he says has to carry a lot more weight than what I think BUT back in the day there was a time when drumbers went for a sound almost like a cardboard box .... pretty dark and short duration.
I still like that sound personally for some things and it works on this song to my ears.
Now when Greg says I'm wrong listen to him ...... but to me it's a decent sound.

Of course I prolly don't hear above 12k
Bob, I'm a) sober and b) at my desk now so I can fully digest what you wrote.

Thanks for the comment on the vox - I agree this is my best vocal so far - I've just got to get every thing else to sound like this now! Which I'm struggling with. I know what you mean about the clack on the kick, I've added some top end to it to try and get the beater attack sound that Greg gets which I really like - seems to make it cut through the mix. I understand exactly why some people don't like it though!
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

The guitars sound terrific.

On mix #1, I thought the bass was too twangy and a bit weak. On mix #2, I thought the bass was a little too low-heavy and not enough low mid energy. It was kind of boing-y in mix #2. It was a bit loud too.

Vocals were well recorded.

There was a bit of a frequency clash between the vocals and guitars in the chorus.

Still trying to decide if I liked the hyper-compressed snare over a more natural sound. I guess it sounds pretty cool. It's pumping a bit - but it was kind of cool.

Were there some edits in the guitar solo? Seems like a timing gak around 2:12 or so.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, I haven't listened to this on monitors for a while. Will have another listen with the latest comments in mind before I call it done.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I dig this tune JD.

Do you compress your bass tracks at all ? Granted my listening environment isn't the best for monitoring bass i get a "lumpy" feel for this bass track. Really kind of uneven? It almost responds like my own bass?

IS it Direct in thru a sim by any chance?

I think the overall sound and tone of it is much better and has improved from the last time i heard it. much less mickey mouse and more bass-ish.

Your drums have come a long way too man. Awesome job man.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:39 am I dig this tune JD.

Do you compress your bass tracks at all ? Granted my listening environment isn't the best for monitoring bass i get a "lumpy" feel for this bass track. Really kind of uneven? It almost responds like my own bass?

I think the overall sound and tone of it is much better and has improved from the last time i heard it. much less mickey mouse and more bass-ish.

Cheers, WJ. My bass is through a direct box, and then compressed in the DAW. I can't remember if this one is my new bass or my old bass. I'll have to have a listen and check on the weekend.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:47 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:39 am I dig this tune JD.

Cheers, WJ. My bass is through a direct box, and then compressed in the DAW. I can't remember if this one is my new bass or my old bass. I'll have to have a listen and check on the weekend.
Ahh yes. It had the tell tale signs of DI.

It's a good tone, i just find it sits rather lumpy in that mix. My bass tracks do it too because i use my PODx3 for my bass tracks and between playing lefty upside down and the DI and lack of air movement mine does it too. And the lumpyness was much more noticeable on the D and G strings. I'll never for the life of me understand why it just does. I mussed around with string action, pick up heights and eventually ended up shelling out to have a really good set up done on it and it still does it to this day. So i think it is just the way a bass responds when DI'd perhaps. Compression fixed it to a certain degree. I squashed it really well and things kind of came together a bit better.

I think micing it will get rid of that uneven feel, just a matter of making time to screw with my bass rig again.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:01 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:47 am

It's a good tone, i just find it sits rather lumpy in that mix. My bass tracks do it too because i use my PODx3 for my bass tracks and between playing lefty upside down and the DI and lack of air movement mine does it too. And the lumpyness was much more noticeable on the D and G strings. I'll never for the life of me understand why it just does. I mussed around with string action, pick up heights and eventually ended up shelling out to have a really good set up done on it and it still does it to this day. So i think it is just the way a bass responds when DI'd perhaps. Compression fixed it to a certain degree. I squashed it really well and things kind of came together a bit better.

I think micing it will get rid of that uneven feel, just a matter of making time to screw with my bass rig again.
I posted up some bass tones in The Tone Thread the other day with my new bass and compression set up for a new song I'm working on. Came out pretty good actually.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Looks like I'm 2 months behind around here. I only listened to the latest version, so I'm not influenced by any other mixes you made. As it is, I think it sounds really good. The snare is not as boxy as I remember on other songs. It still might be too dry or too loud or something. But it doesn't sound bad for sure.

Vocal level is fine for me. I hear everything clearly. Leads are really good. Can't find much, if anything, wrong with this. I like it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:05 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:01 pm

I posted up some bass tones in The Tone Thread the other day with my new bass and compression set up for a new song I'm working on. Came out pretty good actually.
Oh shit ok.

I took one look at the tone thread and i was like 28 or some odd pages behind in it and i'd never get caught up before bed so i just bailed. I should go look and not be a lazy internetter. Sorry JD.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I listened to both mixes. Mix #2 is definitely better. I'll comment on mix #2.

The guitars sounded cool. Very boxy. But it worked well in this mix. Bass had a big improvement in mix #2.

Was there an edit in the lead guitar at 2:12? Sounded like it.

Levels on things sounded good.

The guitars are competing with the vocal in the chorus a little bit.

Snare sounds like a .22 rifle. Personal preference, but I think a snare that sounds like a snare would work better.

I thought the vocal performance was pretty good. Tight doubling.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Late to the party but here's my thoughts for what they're worth lol
Intro guitar is kinda low - I would skip it as when the rest comes in it rocks just a thought.
Adding the double vocals works really really well - it fills in the singing in a good way.
Your lead playing is getting way better but that left side stuff at 2:35 sounds out of tune.
I'd redo that...it's a good change up in the arrangement so don't nuke it just redo it.
The balance for me on everything is good - the rhythms are sitting back and carry the tune but allow the singing to be the focus.
Great songwriting and it sounds PUNK to me thumbs up!
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers guys. The are really good detailed comments for me round this off.