I'm working on a new song...

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

Re: I'm working on a new song...

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 10:21 am Colonial flair - c'mon, Aerogard made the corks redundant - besides the world wide cork shortage meant that the hats were mothballed while people tried to shove old corks into wine casks. ANYWAY, David's an urban boy - formerly a suburban boy so he needs an Hawaiian shirt and schooner.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8yEX3MwKc[/BBvideo]
Wildly underappreciated by the wider world, ray. I remember hearing Mug's Game (the song) at a tender age and thinking, "they can say that on a record?" Great chooon... :biggrin:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:08 am
JD01 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:05 am
I'm expecting to Armistice to post up some pics of himself after he's been poured into a zebra print spandex cat-suit, fretboard tapping with his guitar behind is head while showing us his cum-face.
And a hat with corks on it. Don't forget that.
LOL - the only place you see them around here is the souvenir shops - that said, out in the bush, where there are actually flies, they do work.

The current urban example of instrinsically Australian headwear is the anti-magpie bike helmet. :lollers:
antimagpie-Custom1.jpg
r0_0_729_410_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

..still waiting for the song :biggrin: How bout some bedtrax , you know, foreplay.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Audio Monster wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:03 pm ..still waiting for the song :biggrin: How bout some bedtrax , you know, foreplay.
I'll see how I go with the solo tonight. If that's OK, I'll put the base track up, or bits of it... it's a tad long/dull without words and it's not really mixed yet... :eek:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:53 pm
Audio Monster wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:03 pm ..still waiting for the song :biggrin: How bout some bedtrax , you know, foreplay.
I'll see how I go with the solo tonight. If that's OK, I'll put the base track up, or bits of it... it's a tad long/dull without words and it's not really mixed yet... :eek:
I'm gonna

Get ready... to wiggle; cos when I wiggle I can't go wrong

Get ready... to wiggle; wiggling makes me big and strong.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:58 pm
Armistice wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm gonna

Get ready... to wiggle; cos when I wiggle I can't go wrong

Get ready... to wiggle; wiggling makes me big and strong.
It's true. So, clearly, I didn't record anything last night - hard day at work, not in the mood. But after half a bottle of red wine I was ripping the solo on a not-plugged-in guitar and then was in the mood but it was too late by then. Supposed to have ex-Jongleur Richard coming over for beers and killing things on the PS4 tonight but he's just cancelled so hopefully I'll head home in a few hours and get into it tonight.

And, when you hear this damn solo eventually and go "So what?" it's just a particular bit that's proving difficult - a descending sequence where each note is played twice in succession - most of the rest isn't that hard to play - but that's trickier than you think because it's not something you normally do, and with two notes on high E, then three on B, then two on G, it's sort of awkward.

LOL. I need to stop talking about it and just track the fukker...

This could be the longest thread about a song that doesn't actually exist yet. :lollers2:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Well that didn't quite go as planned. Got the damned thing recorded, but upon listening to it later, there's about a bar where it's not quite "in the pocket", a bend that's a touch flat that's annoying me, and up high on the E string is just way too shrill, so back to the drawing board tonight.

Touch more gain, touch less presence / highs, touch better playing.

I was watching TV later and just running through it unamped and I seemed to be nailing it better after about another 30 tries, so hopefully I'll have a better result tonight.

Glacial! :frown:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Stage fright. :D
Haggard Musician :mad:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 6:46 pmStage fright. :D
The road to magnificence is long and lonely... :biggrin:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 6:04 pm I was watching TV later and just running through it unamped and I seemed to be nailing it better after about another 30 tries, so hopefully I'll have a better result tonight.

Glacial! :frown:
Ah, were you getting red button syndrome?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 4:00 am
Ah, were you getting red button syndrome?
Nah, just wasn't practiced enough. Stuff like this you never know until you record how bad you are... sounds OK when you're playing but in the cold light of replay you go... hmmmm... needs more work.

Done now. One of those things that seems very hard to play until all of a sudden it doesn't. So noodling away at it whilst watching the TV and getting the muscle memory working helped.

Next task, get the drum sounds right... onwards! :crazy:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I'm the same with more complicated lead stuff - I write something and I'm thinking "wow, darling, fetch me my catsuit!" then I record it and it sounds shit. I've got a couple like that which need replacing, but they're not exactly high on my priority list anymore.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I really look forward to tracking leads because I'm not very good at them. I go back and forth between wanting to get better and just saying "fuck it", and I'm usually leaning towards the fuck it side, so it's liberating to just let er rip with whatever I can do and know it's gonna be raucous and stupid and totally awesome. Quite often the first lead I track just off the cuff is the one that stays.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

My approach to guitar solos is to just riff away over and over and over...until something starts to gel, and then I'll hit REC, grab 2-3 takes, and pull what I like. If there's some specific melody line I want to use, something complicated...then I'll sort that out first.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

miroslav wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:34 pm My approach to guitar solos is to just riff away over and over and over...until something starts to gel, and then I'll hit REC, grab 2-3 takes, and pull what I like. If there's some specific melody line I want to use, something complicated...then I'll sort that out first.
And that's sort of what I do. Just sit with it and noodle and work it up over time, whilst at the same trying to work out where the notes I hear in my head fall on the fretboard. Or I'll have a thought - "this would probably sound good" and then discover I can't actually play it.

Problem with this one was that it contains two short bits that were unlike anything I've played before - and so there's no muscle memory associated with them, so it took me longer than I expected to get those two bits under control. They're quite short and there's nothing about the rest of it that's particularly hard.

I'm really trying to avoid just "sitting in the box" and following modes and scales up and down just because. And because what I'm doing all has a deliberate aesthetic to it - clean/crunch guitar multiple figures throughout rather than chords, lots of notes played twice in succession, single note tracks with interesting rhythms, semi-spoken word bits, particular harmony treatments, I'm just trying to ensure that any guitar solo bits don't just revert to what I can do easily without thinking.

I mean when you hear it eventually you might go "Big deal!" which is fine, it's not intended to be a piece of masterful searing lead guitar work, just a short stuttery lead break that fits in with everything else I'm doing. :jam:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Fucking hell, Armistice - I got excited when I saw you'd posted. Less typing, more practicing!

I'm up programming drums for some recording this weekend but now I have fucking friends coming to stay,
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 7:08 pm Fucking hell, Armistice - I got excited when I saw you'd posted. Less typing, more practicing!

I'm up programming drums for some recording this weekend but now I have fucking friends coming to stay,
LOL - I'm just about to go to work... no practicing this morning.
:lollers:
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

I bet this new song is going to change the world! For the better!

..I think
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Audio Monster wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 11:50 pm I bet this new song is going to change the world! For the better!

..I think
Absolutely.

The thing is, once I sort the drums out - early next week, I'm going to can this song for a bit and go and finish the other song that is almost complete that just needs vocals while I work out something to sing about on this one.

So the world may have to wait a bit... :smiles:

I will say though, talking about it at length has sort of kept the nose to the grindstone a bit.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I have nothing further to report... :facepalm2: