B Minor Riff - Mix 1

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

B Minor Riff - Mix 1

Post by JD01 »

Hmmm, now this long has some lyrics it should really get a proper name!

Tell, me what you think of this, my first thought is that I want to re-track the lead guitar in the intro and after the chorus and do some more work on the vocal - this is the one I was moaning about yesterday where I got half the vocal done and my computer crashed and I lost the lot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ido1957

Re: B Minor Riff - Mix 1

Post by ido1957 »

Good arrangement, vis a vis fast/loud parts, softer/subtle parts. Gives the listener time to breathe before you ramp it back up.

I was trying to think of what I would do on the intro lead IF I were to change it. The first note of most of the "phrases" starts on the same note, and the riff is pretty much consistent. My only thought was "is that melodically working with the chords as they change? Is there a dissonent area where a note in the chord clashes with the lead?" I'd have to pull out my guitar and check. Maybe it's "mathematically" correct if it's all in key. I just woke up so ...

The vocals could come up a hair as they are a bit buried in the guitars in spots, but the rest is pretty good.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ido1957 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:23 am Good arrangement, vis a vis fast/loud parts, softer/subtle parts. Gives the listener time to breathe before you ramp it back up.

I was trying to think of what I would do on the intro lead IF I were to change it. The first note of most of the "phrases" starts on the same note, and the riff is pretty much consistent. My only thought was "is that melodically working with the chords as they change? Is there a dissonent area where a note in the chord clashes with the lead?" I'd have to pull out my guitar and check. Maybe it's "mathematically" correct if it's all in key. I just woke up so ...

The vocals could come up a hair as they are a bit buried in the guitars in spots, but the rest is pretty good.
Cheers, Ido. I like the lead riff, I just don't think that's very well recorded, it probably needs a bit more gain and maybe a touch of compression to make it sustain more and maybe drift into feedback.

It is a bit disonant - that's intentional though - in amongst other things the lick bounces back and forth between the 6th and 9th on the B Minor scale.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

This is the riff you stole from me!

Too much rhythm guitar in the mix, too little vocal.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:11 pm
Cheers, Ido. I like the lead riff, I just don't think that's very well recorded, it probably needs a bit more gain and maybe a touch of compression to make it sustain more and maybe drift into feedback.

It is a bit disonant - that's intentional though - in amongst other things the lick bounces back and forth between the 6th and 9th on the B Minor scale.
Ah - I thought different riff, so.... IF..lol...I would yes add some feedback, via compression - good idea.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:30 pm This is the riff you stole from me!

Too much rhythm guitar in the mix, too little vocal.
LOL, not it isn't! I thought you nicked it off me? I robbed the chord sequence from Motorbreath by Metallica and widdled over it!

Cheers, though - I'll be remxing when I'm away this week.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:55 pm
LOL, not it isn't! I thought you nicked it off me?
Son I had that riff while you were still trying to figure out how to string a guitar.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:26 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:55 pm
LOL, not it isn't! I thought you nicked it off me?
Son I had that riff while you were still trying to figure out how to string a guitar.
What song of yours has a similar riff? I've only got Bastardo.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:27 pm
I never even finished it. It's been tentatively called "neighborhood watch", but it sounds too metal so I ignored it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:33 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:27 pm
I never even finished it. It's been tentatively called "neighborhood watch", but it sounds too metal so I ignored it.
Ah, I think I remember it now! I don't remember what it sounded like, but I remember you posting it up then saying you thought it was too metal.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:34 pm
Ah, I think I remember it now! I don't remember what it sounded like, but I remember you posting it up then saying you thought it was too metal.
Yeah. Really it was just the speed and tones I tracked. Too slow, too heavy. If I sped it up and tamed the guitars it'd probably be okay.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

THE VOCALS ARE MILESTOO QUIET!! :mad:

Also, I'm going to moan again about the complete absence of any vibrato/expression in those lead parts. To me, they sound like a sampled guitar note played on a keyboard. It's that flat, mate.

Otherwise, you're getting that basic rock mix competence fairly well sorted, with the reservations mentioned. :D
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 am THE VOCALS ARE MILESTOO QUIET!! :mad:

Also, I'm going to moan again about the complete absence of any vibrato/expression in those lead parts. To me, they sound like a sampled guitar note played on a keyboard. It's that flat, mate.

Otherwise, you're getting that basic rock mix competence fairly well sorted, with the reservations mentioned. :D
Cheers, Bob. I'm gonna be re-track the lead guitars on this over the weekend anyway. I'm also gonna re-track the bass 'cos I've really improved my bass tone over the last couple of weeks and the bassline on this is pretty fun anyway.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, remix with lead and bass retracked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Bass on intro sounds out of tune but I really like the growl. Maybe it's my ears tho....
Vocal levels are sometimes good sometimes too low. My first thought is make them as loud as the lead (like say the intro) but then that might be too loud for you. I usually try to make solo/lead vocal/snare about the same volume - not sure if that's always valid.
Anyway I'm liking the tune regardless of the mix...it's cool and the various changes continue to keep it interesting.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ido1957 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:53 pm Bass on intro sounds out of tune but I really like the growl. Maybe it's my ears tho....
Vocal levels are sometimes good sometimes too low. My first thought is make them as loud as the lead (like say the intro) but then that might be too loud for you. I usually try to make solo/lead vocal/snare about the same volume - not sure if that's always valid.
Anyway I'm liking the tune regardless of the mix...it's cool and the various changes continue to keep it interesting.
Cheers Ido. I'll listen again carefully to the tuning on the bass. It's no trouble for me to retrack it if I've hit the first note a bit hard and pushed it out if tune.

I was in two minds about the vocal. I mixed it thought it was too loud and then did it again and was unsure whether it was quite loud enough. But the difference was only about 2db on the vocal buss

Just listening to it again now on ear buds and i think the vocal is a tiny bit quiet.

EDIT: You were right, mate. I've popped it up by about 1.5db and it seems right to me.
rayc

Post by rayc »

As it's a tougher Hawkwind sound I like the vocal level but I'd add some phaser to a guitar, throw some bleeps and cutnpaste a Mellotron line or two like this [BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48DQ6h ... 6783E45AE7[/BBvideo]
I really like it james so ignore everything I wrote and just go with it.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

haha, I've never really heard much Hawkwind - that's pretty cool actually in a crazy weird way!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Litmus are ALMOST a tribute band except they don't play any HWind songs or dress up like them. They're a tribute to the sound. I like 'em ^ have 2 albums by them. They used to do a lot of gigs in Blighty and were still performing as late as Sept last year.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Re: Deserve No Better - Mix 1

Post by JD01 »

OK, totally re-tracked, new bass, vocals and guitars throughout.
Deserve No Better - Mix 1.mp3