B Minor Riff - Mix 1

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Bubba

Re: B Minor Riff - Mix 1

Post by Bubba »

Yeah, this is sounding good. I think the guitars could just do with a little more definition and the voice could come up a bit. Good vocal performance. The drum programming is convincing, too.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:25 am Yeah, this is sounding good. I think the guitars could just do with a little more definition and the voice could come up a bit. Good vocal performance. The drum programming is convincing, too.
Awesome - cheers. It would be no trouble for me to re-track the guitars, but I'm gonna try that little trick you and Greg were telling me about with the highs on both this and a few other tracks first then I'll call this one done.

Its handy to get your input, 'cos as a few of you have mentioned before I don't have the best monitoring environment, so I make do with headphones, monitors in a crap room, earbuds, the home stereo and the car.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Another slight adjustment to this mix as when listening in the work truck I found the bass a bit boomy and the vocal too quiet.
I adjusted the chorus vocal to bring it forward a bit too.
03 - Deserve No Better.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I listened to both versions. And I thought the second mix was a significant improvement.

I thought the bass was too clicky in #1. In mix 2 it was much better. It also sounded a little strong and fuller in the low end.

Rhythm guitars also sounded a little bigger in mix 2.

Seemed like the snare was pumping a bit in mix 1.

There are a few spots where the guitars a stepping on the vocal. The very first vocal line is an example. I think a quick fader ride in a couple spots would clear that up.

I thought mix #2 was very good.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just a pre-vox mix for now - don't worry about commenting if you can't be arsed. This is just one of the first ones that I want to get back to as its one of the easiest ones for me to sing. Just wanted to listen to it alongside my previous "final" mix.

If you've got anything you think might be helpful I'd be glad to hear it.
New Prevox Mix Stereo.mp3
I've just worked out what the real advantage of this embedded player is. Great for comparing mixes!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Re-tracked w/the new amp? Sounds great!
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
JD01

Post by JD01 »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:42 pm Re-tracked w/the new amp? Sounds great!
Yeah, all the new amps. The song has been kicking around for ages now so only took me an hour to re-track it. Retracked one of the rhythm guitars using a different guitar with a P90 in it since.

In case anyone is interested, this is an interesting comparison between using one guitar for everything or changing guitar for double tracking.
I've now added a cheapo PRS as the one of the main rhythm guitars and also for the octave chords in the chorus on the opposite side to where I added it as a main rhythm - I think this keeps the whole thing balanced better.

I'm probably more curious than anyone else what this difference is going to be like and the new site player is ace for this!
New Prevox Mix 2.mp3
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Guitars are a hundred times better. Blackstar ought to be renamed Balaclava cause it sounds like you're fuckin' wearing one!

The bass lacks something now all the wooliness and mud has gone. It sounds hollow, so I reckon you could feed some of that warmth back in. :smiles:
Haggard Musician :mad:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Sounds good mate. The bass could use a little slap now that the mix has opened up. Good guitar tracks, you are definitely the one to watch in 2018.. :like:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Last prevox mix sounds really good to me. My only problem I have with it is the hard panning that goes on sometimes with the rhythm and lead. But that is more just personal taste I think. It just distracts/disorients me, maybe I'm just old.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers mate. When you hear my shite vocals you might think you can do better.

I love hard panned rhythms.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Oh, I didn't even notice this was page 2. I went back and listened to some of the first mix after the most recent, and it's gotten loads cleaner!
rayc

Post by rayc »

It's a happening thing!
Nice work James.
Things have come to life with your new amp.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers guys, the new amp has been great. Its just much easier to mix things. I'm basically having to do much less work with EQ in the DAW.