Spanish Bombs by the Clash: JD and Bubba acoustic version

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Bubba

Re: Spanish Bombs by the Clash: JD and Bubba acoustic version

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:33 pm
Bubba wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:55 am Thanks for the comments, folks. :) I had the drums dry on this to try to keep the mix from getting muddy, but all it did was spoil the drums, lol :biggrin:

JD, I've done nothing with the guitars - absolutely nothing at all. I think what you're hearing is the sound of them once everything else is balanced properly. So kudos to yourself for recording those acoustics really well. :) I do think they need compressing a bit after watching my rendering of the track - I think they're a bit too dynamic and they're making it difficult for me to get a loud overall level. They sound great subjectively, but they're peaky and they need levelling out a bit.

I agree with it needing two distinct voices, too. :)

JD, would you like to provide me with the acoustic chops? Good man. :coolstorybro: :biggrin:

There's a second mix in the OP, done on the monitors.
Nearly missed this, what do you want me to do with the guitars, I'll try and retrack them tomorrow.
No need to retrack the existing guitar tracks (unless you want to save me the trouble of patching those maj chord errors) , just send me something for the choruses- those really stabby guitar bits. :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

What do you mean by Stabby bit? Just something with a bit of aggression?

I'm not being deliberately obtuse, I've just had a few whiskeys with my sister,
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:44 pm What do you mean by Stabby bit? Just something with a bit of aggression?

Listen to the acoustic under the Spanish language parts in the chorus. You'll hear what I mean. :biggrin:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:52 pm
JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:44 pm What do you mean by Stabby bit? Just something with a bit of aggression?

Listen to the acoustic under the Spanish language parts in the chorus. You'll hear what I mean. :biggrin:
Ok, will do in the morning
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ah, I've got it. Its still early here and I can't got cranking amps or doing Lemmy impressions yet. Bit of accoustic recording is probably about my level right now.

EDIT: I've been reminded this morning why I hate playing with a capo. With a capo on the 2nd fret I keep playing E Minor instead of D Minor. :headwall: muscle memory seems to heavily outweigh any sort of thought process or musicality.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah, the stabby choppy parts during the choruses.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:07 pm Yeah, the stabby choppy parts during the choruses.
The snare hits are much louder under those bits, too. Mixed with half-open trashy hi-hat stabs. I've been fixing those while JD has been retracking the guitars.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nah, Topper is pinging the Ride in the chorus. Quarter note bell pings. That's what I hear anyway.

Half-open hats in the verses, ride pings in the chorus.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:35 pm Nah, Topper is pinging the Ride in the chorus. Quarter note bell pings. That's what I hear anyway.

Half-open hats in the verses, ride pings in the chorus.
OK I'll have another listen for that. It just seemed to me that there was something extra in the treble under those guitar stabs. :coolstorybro: I don't have any half-open hats of the right sound to put in, in any case! :biggrin:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:42 pm
OK I'll have another listen for that. It just seemed to me that there was something extra in the treble under those guitar stabs. :coolstorybro: I don't have any half-open hats of the right sound to put in, in any case! :biggrin:
It could just be that it's everything stabbing in that part. Joe's trebly guitar, Mick using a Strat, extra keys, layers of acoustics, all that stabbing at once does make a pretty big buildup. And who knows what other shit they have layered in there. But I definitely hear ride pings in the stabby chorus parts. Not that you have to replicate everything perfectly. But going from hats to ride naturally creates the change in feel all by itself that the song needs.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I listened to it a few times this morning. I was just listening for the guitars though and it was definitely some hard down strokes in there.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Haven't listened to second mix yet but thought that you were off to a good start with the first one. Nice.
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

I really enjoyed this...the vocals were great...loved the sax too.

Everything sounded fin except the maybe the drums were a bit too quiet, but that could be because my own mixes have them so upfront

pro level mate
Death, War, Discipline, weekends off.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:49 pm Haven't listened to second mix yet but thought that you were off to a good start with the first one. Nice.
s
itsnotkcearl wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:43 pm I really enjoyed this...the vocals were great...loved the sax too.

Everything sounded fin except the maybe the drums were a bit too quiet, but that could be because my own mixes have them so upfront

pro level mate
Thanks, guys - there's a new mix in the OP. I've called it the final mix as I can't see me wishing to add cajon to an already very full track at this stage. Unless I do a version with the drums pulled out completely and substitute them with cajon and hand percussion in the future. :biggrin:

I think I've addressed most of the criticisms now. JD retracked the acoustics to have more punch in the choruses. The drums are mixed to go louder in the choruses, particularly the snare. I overdubbed extra acoustic stabs too, so there is much more of a dynamic difference in punch and feel between verse and chorus. I corrected the ambience and EQing of the drums to be bigger overall.

Unless there's owt majorly wrong to anyone's ears, I'm going to call this one done. Thanks again for the comments and thanks to JD for the project. It was very enjoyable and has helped get me back into recording again. :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, Bubba.

Enjoyed that, was nice to spend some time strumming that acoustic and the mix sounds great. Although I'm away at the moment so can't listen on monitors.

Can you send me the file?

A stripped version with Cajon and an egg shaker will also be cool in future.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Very cool guys - I'm not familiar with the orig so just going on what you've recorded here. Mix is nice and smooth, easy to just get lost in the groove. Acoustics have a nice fat sound, saxes are wailin, vocals are great. :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ido1957 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:24 am Very cool guys - I'm not familiar with the orig so just going on what you've recorded here. Mix is nice and smooth, easy to just get lost in the groove. Acoustics have a nice fat sound, saxes are wailin, vocals are great. :)
Thanks, mate. Just listening to it again now in the office - really enjoying it. Bubba, remember to send me a copy so I can stick it on my playlist.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:40 am
ido1957 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:24 am Very cool guys - I'm not familiar with the orig so just going on what you've recorded here. Mix is nice and smooth, easy to just get lost in the groove. Acoustics have a nice fat sound, saxes are wailin, vocals are great. :)
Thanks, mate. Just listening to it again now in the office - really enjoying it. Bubba, remember to send me a copy so I can stick it on my playlist.
I'll set the track to download off soundcloud. You'll get the HQ version then.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:29 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:40 am
I'll set the track to download off soundcloud. You'll get the HQ version then.
:coolstorybro:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'll dl from soundcloud too if I may?
Cheers
rayc