Spanish Bombs by the Clash: JD and Bubba acoustic version

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Bubba

Re: Spanish Bombs by the Clash: JD and Bubba acoustic version

Post by Bubba »

rayc wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:15 pm I'll dl from soundcloud too if I may?
Absolutely, Ray. Quite a lot of that stuff is set to be downloadable, but recently Soundcloud has hidden the download button under the "more" tab. I've gone from having two or three downloads a week eight months ago to having no downloads at all, due to that one stupid alteration.

Perhaps they're worried about copyright issues.

In other news, I'm only a few plays away from 10,000 plays on my account! :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
paulman

Post by paulman »

This sounds great. Seems to me the vocals could be a little more up front. Other than that, I can't think of anything. Just when I thought I was going to stand out by posting stuff with horns, you beat me to the punch Bubba! Hopefully I'll mix trumpet as well as you did with the sax.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

This sounds good guys, I've never heard this song so I can't compare it to the original, but this is pretty good overall...

No nits from me because I don't know what it's supposed to sound like, but it sounds like everyone did a great job all around...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I thought this was pretty good. I like the song too. The horns sounded very good. I liked the bass tone - but it's dominating the kick.

Something is bugging me, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Like there is a build up of energy in the 300hz - 600hz octave between the guitars and vocal. It is a little crowded in that region. Nothing horrible - just a bit.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Sorry I'm such a latecomer, that's just how its been lately!

I haven't read the thread, so I'm not sure how many iterations the mix in the original post has been through, but I think that this sounds great (I'm not familiar with the original). I really love the saxophone. Drums, bass, vocals all sound very well done and well placed in the mix. Backing vocals are especially good.

Is it bad that I don't have any criticisms? :)

Ummm...sit up straight because your posture is bad. There, I did it! :D

Seriously though, fine work.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 pm Sorry I'm such a latecomer, that's just how its been lately!

I haven't read the thread, so I'm not sure how many iterations the mix in the original post has been through, but I think that this sounds great (I'm not familiar with the original). I really love the saxophone. Drums, bass, vocals all sound very well done and well placed in the mix. Backing vocals are especially good.

Is it bad that I don't have any criticisms? :)

Ummm...sit up straight because your posture is bad. There, I did it! :D

Seriously though, fine work.
Cheers, Tad.

The orignal has electric guitars on it and no sax - I think Bubba's original idea was to have a cajon on it instead of drums - the drums are just my EZ Drummer programming but Bubba has mixed it really well.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'd like the sax a bit hotter and the vox too ...... like the tunage .... haven't heard the original so I'm just gonna say you did it like they wished they had.
Overall the mix sounds good to me with the exception of the vox being too low .... and sax, of course, is never loud enough.
:D
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Thanks, Bob (and everybody else!). There is a later mix that I listen to at home, where the vocals are louder, but I haven't got around to replacing it on my Soundcloud, so good call there. I also tweaked the bass guitar since I got my new monitors. There was a single bass note booming that I managed to tame. Overall, I'm very pleased with the outcome. I never considered lifting the sax up. Maybe you have a point! :biggrin:
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

One my favorite Clash songs.

I'd nudge up the vocal and nudge down the bass. I'd nudge down some of the accent/rhythm jabs done on horns and guitars - they're covering the vocal a bit.

The horn sounds were too "proper" for a Clash song. Not ragged enough if you know what I mean.

I love the vocals. I love the drums. I love the guitar sounds (even if they're a little loud).
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

TripleM wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:52 pm One my favorite Clash songs.

I'd nudge up the vocal and nudge down the bass. I'd nudge down some of the accent/rhythm jabs done on horns and guitars - they're covering the vocal a bit.

The horn sounds were too "proper" for a Clash song. Not ragged enough if you know what I mean.

I love the vocals. I love the drums. I love the guitar sounds (even if they're a little loud).
Thanks very much, 3M! :cool: As I said, my most recent mix (not on soundcloud) has a touch more vocal and the bass has been tamed. I'm unsure about whether to replace the upload. What do you think?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

For better or for worse, I've replaced the mix in the OP. :biggrin:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I just listened to whatever is current in the OP. I think that the vocals could actually come down a little overall, and the saxophone parts are just a little too far apart in timing to be that far apart in the mix. Or maybe the saxes need to be put on a bus together and compressed. I dunno, whatever it is, they're drawing attention to themselves in some way that I can't quite pin down. I love the vocal mix...the backing vocals are just right to support the lead. Everything else still sounds just as good as last listen. This is just a fun listen despite my nitpicking, a good energetic song that's well performed and recorded.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Many thanks for the listen and comments, Tad. I'll listen to it again with reference to what you've said. I don't think the mix in the OP is quite the last one I did, but there won't be much difference. :)

I think it's about time this was unstickied, I'm a bit embarrassed that it's always up there!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:51 am I think it's about time this was unstickied, I'm a bit embarrassed that it's always up there!
No way, mate! This is the pinnacle of my musical career.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

New to the board here so this is my first listen. Really good tracks here, the energy for this tune is great. My only issue on the first listen was the panning of the saxophones. As a poster above alluded to, it is a bit distracting that they are so far apart. Just my opinion of course, but really great playing and singing. Nice job.