Pixies cover "Gigantic" - first full mix.

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Bubba

Re: Pixies cover "Gigantic" - first full mix.

Post by Bubba »

miroslav wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:32 pm Great cover job!

I agree with Greg, that you version sounds more "meatier" than the original...but unless you were trying to nail the original from every aspect...this one sounds just as good on its own. :coolstorybro:

Not meaning to go off topic...but I always wondered what Kim Deal was thinking about when she wrote that?
Gigantic...a big, big love...was she singing about some guy's large schlong? :P
Thanks! Ha ha, yes... legend has it that it's about a bloke with a massive big willy. :biggrin: I didn't do much A/B mix comparison with this and relied very much on my memory but you're right. It is quite a bit meatier. I just went for drum and guitar sounds that sounded good to me. Also, my monitors are somewhat light in the low end. I need to check the mix in the van more often! :coolstorybro:
ido1957 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:50 pm The OOT guitar is incredible. It makes you cringe and smile at the same time. I've never heard the original so no comparitive comments.
The kick is a little thick, just maybe trim a tiny bit off the low low end. Other than that it sounds like you picked the right limiter (I only heard the most recent post). Love that JVM (Mike has one and I've played it a lot)
Thanks, Ido. :biggrin: I don't see the discordant guitar that way at all, even in the original, probably because I've been listening to this song so long. I'm sure at the time it was very jarring but it's probably the kind of thing that put me onto the Pixies in the beginning. They're not always an easy listen. And the JVM is a fucking beast. :boombox
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:32 pm Great cover job!

I agree with Greg, that you version sounds more "meatier" than the original...but unless you were trying to nail the original from every aspect...this one sounds just as good on its own. :coolstorybro:

Not meaning to go off topic...but I always wondered what Kim Deal was thinking about when she wrote that?
Gigantic...a big, big love...was she singing about some guy's large schlong? :P
Yup. The song is about an older woman having a secret affair with a hung black dude.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm cloth eared and listen to lots of atonal music. The jarring guitar sounds like it belongs - which is why, I assume, I liked the original too.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Never heard the original (that I can remember anyway), but this sounds great dude...I agree with the "fat mix" thing, you've got some great stuff happenin' here Bubba...

80% channel & 80% master on the JVM??? Now you're getting to volume levels where a Marshall is supposed to be recorded at dude...It's a magical thing, ain't it??? Super guitar tones man...

The only nit I have is the rimshot at the beginning of the song sounds out of time in spots, other than that, this is great...Gotta give you a big thumbs up for the drum sounds on this too dude...

Super job Bubba!!!
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Hey Bubba, Pixies live in Houston tonight! yay!
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:11 pm Hey Bubba, Pixies live in Houston tonight! yay!
Fuck! Are you going? Jealous. :mad2: I've only seen them once about 20 years ago. What a gig. I've Seen Frank solo about three times, though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 am

Fuck! Are you going? Jealous. :mad2: I've only seen them once about 20 years ago. What a gig. I've Seen Frank solo about three times, though.
Yeah they were pretty damn amazing. Really exceeded my expectations. I'd never seen them live so I wasn't sure how all that loud/soft/loud would work, and goddamn, it was perfect. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Ace. What Marshall was Joey using? It's a shame Kim has left, but it's great that they've carried on with a female bassplayer - the visuals and the vocals really need it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 8:07 am Ace. What Marshall was Joey using? It's a shame Kim has left, but it's great that they've carried on with a female bassplayer - the visuals and the vocals really need it.
It's a 2205 or 2210. Not sure which one, but it's definitely a split channel JCM 800. His control of his noise and feedback was probably the best I've ever seen. For real. He made sounds just from sustain and feedback that blew me away. Supposedly that amp has been on every Pixies recording ever done. It's an 80s amp and they're an 80s band, so there ya go. I know it's corny to say "it sounded just like the record!", but it really did. They sounded pretty damn much just like the records. Nothing was too fast or too slow, all the little nuances were there. Great sound at that place.

The new girl is named Paz Lenchantin. She's been with them for a few years now and she's an official member. She's not just a Kim replacement. She was great. My only knock on her is her vocals aren't quite as smooth and breathy as Kim's were, but she did everything she's supposed to do and did it very very well. She was totally locked in with Lovering's drums and their rhythm section was thundering.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've seen Paz live a couple of times with different bands.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 8:17 am
Bubba wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 8:07 am Ace. What Marshall was Joey using? It's a shame Kim has left, but it's great that they've carried on with a female bassplayer - the visuals and the vocals really need it.
It's a 2205 or 2210. Not sure which one, but it's definitely a split channel JCM 800. His control of his noise and feedback was probably the best I've ever seen. For real. He made sounds just from sustain and feedback that blew me away. Supposedly that amp has been on every Pixies recording ever done. It's an 80s amp and they're an 80s band, so there ya go. I know it's corny to say "it sounded just like the record!", but it really did. They sounded pretty damn much just like the records. Nothing was too fast or too slow, all the little nuances were there. Great sound at that place.

The new girl is named Paz Lenchantin. She's been with them for a few years now and she's an official member. She's not just a Kim replacement. She was great. My only knock on her is her vocals aren't quite as smooth and breathy as Kim's were, but she did everything she's supposed to do and did it very very well. She was totally locked in with Lovering's drums and their rhythm section was thundering.
I did a little googling and it seems that it's a 2205. 50w, yes? Slightly easier to crank for those meltdown sounds, I imagine. :biggrin:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 10:16 am

I did a little googling and it seems that it's a 2205. 50w, yes? Slightly easier to crank for those meltdown sounds, I imagine. :biggrin:
Yup, if it's a 2205, it's a 50w.

He also had a pedalboard so big it took two guys to carry it. Seriously. Two guys.

His base sound was fairly crunchy but not "metal". Sounded great.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Hey Bubbaloo I'm about to do a Pixies cover with my wife too. We'll see how it goes.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:58 pm Hey Bubbaloo I'm about to do a Pixies cover with my wife too. We'll see how it goes.
Fantastic! Looking forward to it. :biggrin: