Ten Signs Of Longing...

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

Ten Signs Of Longing...

Post by rayc »

The on going saga of this song - new title - it was Games Of Love.
I've added a new guitar track to beef it up.
It was/is an experiment - may not suit but I'm sussing out how the two hard panned guitars sound against each other.
Different amps, different guitars and different chord shapes in the chorus.
New guitar on right Squire Mustang HH into Superbass Input I, presence cranked, with Boss Overdrive for extra gain but NO drive from the pedal MV5 & channel vol at max.
Games of Love 170218b.mp3
Thoughts, suggestions etc gratefully received.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Re: Ten Signs Of Longing...

Post by Bubba »

The guitar tones are pretty good, Ray, although a tiny bit harsh/fizzy for a rhythm tone (for my taste) You've mixed the drums to a correct level, also.

I do think the lead break is sunk too far into the reverb, even for someone like me that likes to mix into a cavern! My gut feeling is that the rhythm guitars could do with a tiny bit of EQ smoothing. Not much, because you don't want to neuter the abrasiveness entirely, but just to attenuate it a bit.

There was a couple of spots where the major third (G string) sounded a bit tortured. I thought at first the guitar was tuned or intonated incorrectly, but now I think it may be uneven finger pressure when you form the chords. I'm not averse to a bit of that in any case. The intro to White Man in Hammersmith Palais would not be half as emotive if those chords were perfectly in tune.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think Bubba pretty much nailed it. My thoughts on the mix are about the same as his.

The rhythms are a bit harsh to me. I think they're mixed a bit loud for starters, which doesn't help the harshness, and a little EQ could help. I think they could stand to be a little beefier and have less top end. You can drop the rhythms and that middle guitar will pop a little more too. The lead is too reverby, but it's tone seems pretty good under all the verb. Drums and bass seem pretty good. Sounds like it'll be a nice power-pop tune.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Bubba & Greg,
Thanks.
I had the guitars a little loud because it was their relationship in the mix that I wanted to consider.
I EQd the guitars almost automatically as if I was using my little amp - usually dark, needing top and de mudding. Foolish me - I need to listen.
I'll apply the suggestions and post again.
Less top end on guitars
less guitars
less reverb on the solo
I'll get to it this arvo.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ray,

Didn't mind the guitar tones at all during the intro and during what i assume is a chrous. Maybe because the chords are just sort of one strum things i don't pick it up as much? I am going to throw more votes to bubba and greg that when the verse parts come in thats when i hear and mind the fizzy and harsh sound. That's about the only time i really noticed. They sound a bit more separated from everything else, Maybe a smidge too loud is the cause of that?

I love the sound of the bass and the drums and how everything else is sort of gelling.

That feedback work at the intro part / chrous. Outstanding. I loved that.

Second listen i thought there was a bit more reverb than there needed to be on the lead track.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Yeah, pretty much what the others are saying ray - bit fizzy in the verses, but with vocals on top perhaps it'll not be as obvious - and too much reverb on the lead and a nudge in the volume would be good. Sounds like a good tune in the making though. Me likey, as Boob would say.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The big thing that sticks out to me is that the held chords on guitar are overwhelming the strummed part. (And yes, they're fizzy, but that's not bad per se)
I like the contrast when the held guitars switch to a strummed pattern, but I think I'd like to hear the other part come up.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Shan, David & Steve,
thanks for listening & responding with your observations.
The guitars are being replaced with something less fizzy. I'm not sure if I'll end up with a center one or not - well not as yet.
I'll post an update - I've written down your observations to apply when replacing & remixing.
Cheers
rayc