Jazz Noir tune W.I.P.

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Re: Jazz Noir tune W.I.P.

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 am I can't hear Pink Floyd at all, TBH - although people are perhaps referring to earlier stuff I'm not overly familiar with, however.
The guitar solo did sound more floydy in the earlier version.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:58 am
Armistice wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 am I can't hear Pink Floyd at all, TBH - although people are perhaps referring to earlier stuff I'm not overly familiar with, however.
The guitar solo did sound more floydy in the earlier version.
I'm just such a Floyd fangirl. :biggrin:

Nice stuff - I've only just found this so I'm listening to the retrack, not the original. Has a nice haunting quality to it - that little riff gets into your head through repetition and the unusual flanging - which at the start I thought was a bit OTT but by halfway through I'd settled in with - and that son of yours certainly can drum, very impressive feel to it all. Won't comment on the recording as I'm just listening through laptop speakers but as a piece of music it's very nice. Be interesting to see how and where it goes, but it's pretty good as it is in the right setting.
Thanks, David. Much appreciated. :) I played the track to our Frank this morning and this is what he wrote:
There's some really cool bits in there. I think my playing lets it down though.
and, when I asked him if he was joking:
I dunno, I just think I played really badly. I'll probs have to learn the track and redo the drums because the track deserves better playing. They sound sick though.
I swear, the kid is his own worst critic. :cuckoo: :facepalm: :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Did not expect this Bubbs. All i could think of way Floyd. I didn't bother with the old mix buddy. This is a pretty wild departure from what i listen to and it's such a hodge podge of stuff that i can't really comment. The mix sounds great, if i had anything to pick apart is that in some spots the keys seem to jump up out of the finely glued mix and dominate it here and there. Individual notes notes mind you which i might chok up to just being a the velocity sensitivity of a keyboard maybe? I don't know.

Each peice on it's own sounds good and again it's is all glued together very nicely.

Your young fella is his own worst critic. He's a fantastic drummer and i quite enjoyed that little trip.
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:44 pm Did not expect this Bubbs. All i could think of way Floyd. I didn't bother with the old mix buddy. This is a pretty wild departure from what i listen to and it's such a hodge podge of stuff that i can't really comment. The mix sounds great, if i had anything to pick apart is that in some spots the keys seem to jump up out of the finely glued mix and dominate it here and there. Individual notes notes mind you which i might chok up to just being a the velocity sensitivity of a keyboard maybe? I don't know.

Each peice on it's own sounds good and again it's is all glued together very nicely.

Your young fella is his own worst critic. He's a fantastic drummer and i quite enjoyed that little trip.
Ha ha, thanks WJ. You did a great job of avoiding telling me it was unlistenable weird-ass crap. (Just kidding) You're right about a couple of the keyboard notes, I adjusted the velocity on those. I have a guitar intro for it that I'm quite pleased with but I'm going to keep it under my hat for a little while, as it needs re-recording with less gain and a bit more finger expression. Armi's heard it, and so has JD - but he thinks it's out of tune so balls to him. ;)

I'll pass on the compliments to young Frankie. :)
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

New mix with vocals and intro lead guitar. Also some dub-style FX trickery.

It's still not finished, but it's getting there.

Last edited by Bubba on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I like the swell in the reverb at the end.
Vocals sound pretty good. Very Morrisey-esque.

The one critique that really sticks out now is that the bass might be a touch loud now that there are vox. It sort of distracts.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:48 am I like the swell in the reverb at the end.
Vocals sound pretty good. Very Morrisey-esque.

The one critique that really sticks out now is that the bass might be a touch loud now that there are vox. It sort of distracts.
Thanks, Steve. I've just listened to my soundcloud link and it doesn't sound the same as my .wav file. It's treblier and a bit lighter in the bass. Did it seem like it had too much HF to you? The bass guitar level hasn't changed though, so I'll take a look at that.
muttley

Post by muttley »

It's sounding good. The Bass does dominate both on my workshop system and my main listening speakers so maybe he's right.. I think it just needs a little filtering somewhere just to compact it a bit... but not sure what else you have on it if anything.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:59 pm It's sounding good. The Bass does dominate both on my workshop system and my main listening speakers so maybe he's right.. I think it just needs a little filtering somewhere just to compact it a bit... but not sure what else you have on it if anything.
Thanks, Mutt. I have a sub synth on there, I reckon it's been accentuated during the louderising process. It's only meant to translate on subby speakers that can handle it. I'll take it down a bit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

How'd you get Morrissey to sing on this?

I think the bass gtr is a little too strong on this new mix. It's masking the kick pretty good in the louder parts. Nice use of tons of reverb. Cool tones. Besides the bass and kick I think it's pretty good.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Thanks everybody - link updated with suggested tweaks.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:26 pm How'd you get Morrissey to sing on this?

I think the bass gtr is a little too strong on this new mix. It's masking the kick pretty good in the louder parts. Nice use of tons of reverb. Cool tones. Besides the bass and kick I think it's pretty good.

Ha ha - I went for Thom Yorke but apparently Morrissey nicked the lyric sheet!

Comments duly noted and tweaks done - thanks.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Intro guitars sound amazing.
There's a snare hit at 30s that comes over too loud! It seems to settle back after that - must be just 'cos there's more going on.
A few people commented before on the bass and kick - they sound pretty distinct to me now and I'm on my Skull Candy headphones in my home office.

Have you overdubbed another scream or maybe even a pick-scrape before the solo? Sounds great.

I had to go back and listen to the drum interlude with the weird noises a samples a few times - works really well.

When you're sure you're happy with this can you make it available for download so I can stick it in my keepers.
rayc

Post by rayc »

NOIR indeed.
The piano reminds me of someone - can't place it - maybe the quieter Deaf School. Love the ending.

It works a treat in the new mix.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

Sounds really good now on my workshop system and in the car.. Will check it out on my nerd system later when I get home.

Are there any MuttPups on it? If so, Would like to use it with permission...
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 am Sounds really good now on my workshop system and in the car.. Will check it out on my nerd system later when I get home.

Are there any MuttPups on it? If so, Would like to use it with permission...
Hi, thanks, Mutt. Yes - all the guitars are with the MuttPups Humbucker in the bridge position with both coils activated - just with varying degrees of gain. Of course you can use the clip - with pleasure.

Arpeggio tone:
Marshall JVM clean channel
orange gain mode
channel gain 5,
master resonance off
master presence 5
everything else at 12 o'clock
MXR M117 flanger.

Intro tone:
Marshall JVM crunch channel
Red gain mode
Channel gain 10
master resonance off
master presence 5
everything else at 12 o'clock

Solo Tone:
Marshall JVM OD1 channel
Orange gain mode
Channel gain 5
master resonance off
master presence 5
Bass 4
Mid 6
Treble 6

Very, very little extra bite was added in the daw - just a very subtle hump at 4k to help cut through the mix.

If you want the WAV I'll allow downloads from Soundcloud. I'm hoping to get some saxophone on it in the near future, too.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Cheers man. I maybe in touch for a special remix for the promo stuff..;)

Let me know if you want credit and who or what to link to..

Just played it again and I'm really liking it. When you get it done for good its going on my "guys I do stuff with" playlist.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, bass sounds better in the new mix.

Did you retrack the vocals? They sound more aggressive than I remember them.