Takes What's Free

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Takes What's Free

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:42 pm I've no clue how I would sort out a kick and bass relationship, but I guess its something I can work on.
Largely, that's going to mean arranging the parts so that they're playing a similar rhythm. The most basic functional bass/kick relation ship is going to be them playing in sync. (Of course, "the notes you don't play are as important as the ones you do", so having them strategically not in sync is gonna be important too)

The vocals on the newest take, sound pretty thin.

I think you'll really be best served by dropping the doubling during much of the song and using a very different FX chain on both takes when they're going simultaneously.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:42 pm I've no clue how I would sort out a kick and bass relationship, but I guess its something I can work on.
Largely, that's going to mean arranging the parts so that they're playing a similar rhythm. The most basic functional bass/kick relation ship is going to be them playing in sync. (Of course, "the notes you don't play are as important as the ones you do", so having them strategically not in sync is gonna be important too)

The vocals on the newest take, sound pretty thin.

I think you'll really be best served by dropping the doubling during much of the song and using a very different FX chain on both takes when they're going simultaneously.
I get working out their timing relationship, it was their final relationship I wasn't sure about but I know what Greg was getting at now and I've worked out what I need to do about it.

I need to work on the vocal mixing a lot! That's another idea I can try on it.

Cheers though, Steve
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 pm I get working out their timing relationship, it was their final relationship I wasn't sure about but I know what Greg was getting at now and I've worked out what I need to do about it.
Ohhhh! Their mix relationship. That makes sense.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD, this mix is much better than first one for sure but it sounds notably different than the song i just commented on a little bit ago. not drastically so but .. notably. Worth noting.

Are the vocals of the two songs mixed the same?
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:51 pm JD, this mix is much better than first one for sure but it sounds notably different than the song i just commented on a little bit ago. not drastically so but .. notably. Worth noting.

Are the vocals of the two songs mixed the same?
No, I've not remixed this one in line with the other one yet. Will do though.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, completely re-tracked except for the vocals - which sound alright actually, although I think I'll re-track the chorus to make them a bit more agressive.
Take Whats Free Mix 4.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

JD, Finally got around to this. Downloaded mix 2 to send to my son. Hope you don't mind. Wife walked in while I was listening and said she thought Jeromy might like this. Though he is in Florida and not the UK he does think a little like you. I enjoy it for the song. No mix comments. Everything you guys do on here is beyond my abilities.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

einstein magoo wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:40 pm JD, Finally got around to this. Downloaded mix 2 to send to my son. Hope you don't mind. Wife walked in while I was listening and said she thought Jeromy might like this. Though he is in Florida and not the UK he does think a little like you. I enjoy it for the song. No mix comments. Everything you guys do on here is beyond my abilities.
Cheers mate. Tell me what you think of mix 4.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Ive liked this song you've got going here since you first posted it but the mix always had me thinking that everything was competing for space. This last mix has fixed that. Did you retrack everything except vocal or is it a down to the mix? I dont know but it works..? There is a lot more definition and clarity in the guitars and the bass now floats where it needs to.. Its good mate. Love it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:11 pm Ive liked this song you've got going here since you first posted it but the mix always had me thinking that everything was competing for space. This last mix has fixed that. Did you retrack everything except vocal or is it a down to the mix? I dont know but it works..? There is a lot more definition and clarity in the guitars and the bass now floats where it needs to.. Its good mate. Love it.
Yeah, I've retracked everything. The first couple of mixes of this song were using the Blackstar then after that there was 1 where I used the cab emulation of the H&K. This is the first one that's all captured properly with a cab and mic.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:26 am
muttley wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:11 pm Ive liked this song you've got going here since you first posted it but the mix always had me thinking that everything was competing for space. This last mix has fixed that. Did you retrack everything except vocal or is it a down to the mix? I dont know but it works..? There is a lot more definition and clarity in the guitars and the bass now floats where it needs to.. Its good mate. Love it.
Yeah, I've retracked everything. The first couple of mixes of this song were using the Blackstar then after that there was 1 where I used the cab emulation of the H&K. This is the first one that's all captured properly with a cab and mic.
Its good man, its really come alive.. its mostly bridge pup I assume...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:16 am
JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:26 am
Its good man, its really come alive.. its mostly bridge pup I assume...
Mostly. One of the rhythms in bridge mutt pup, the other is the PRS. The solos are definitely mutt bridge. The quiet section is split bridge and neck I think. Can't remember what the weird interlude is. Combination of everything I think!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Mutt pups, guitars, decent amps & mic'd cabs have made this good song even better - Ace Space Ghost!
I do think a more aggressive chorus vocal would be the dusting of icing sugar.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

#4 sounds great. For the chorus, I think you are correct about the vocals needing more aggression, I also think it would be cool if you did some gang vocals there. Recording several tracks and just changing your voice a but each time and adding some chorus. Just my two cents because it is quite good the way it is as well.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Sounding pretty good.

As you're going through and re-working your stuff with your current process, I'd recommend keeping your old, clicky bass tone in mind. For purposes of variety over the course of a full album, it would probably be worth using that tone on a song or two.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:19 pm Sounding pretty good.

As you're going through and re-working your stuff with your current process, I'd recommend keeping your old, clicky bass tone in mind. For purposes of variety over the course of a full album, it would probably be worth using that tone on a song or two.
Steve, you're on a listening mission today.
Regarding reworking - I've got about 12 songs that I had previously completed using my older mixing techniques, older vocal recording techniques (when I was an even worse singer than I am now) and my Blackstar amp.
I'm going through them one at a time. Re-tracking with the H&K, redoing the vocals and remixing. I basically want to get them up all to the standard of this last couple then I will consider them complete.

With this one I realised that the Phaser doesn't play nice with high gain - that lead line is now fairly low gain but its been mangled with the phaser.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Nice sounding guitars.

2 nits:
- there's a clicking noise between 0:00 and 0:01...doesn't sound like it's intentional, and if not, should be edited out
- the vocals are too quiet in relation to everything else, esp. in the verses; I see you might re-track those, but maybe adjust the levels here first just to see if that's necessary
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Holy shit.

Feels like a new song. The guitars are just light years different and alive. Very good man.

Few things,

-I agree with dan on the vocals simply being just too low in the current mix in most places. your gits are really dominating them.
-3:20 that walk down to the low notes on that lead are are very beefy and wolly. I got my monitors cranked and that part needs some chunk removed it just gobbles up the song.
- It kinda sounds like you have reduced the stereo spread of your crashes a smidge but now they seem to be a little loud. I personally would just drop them back a tiny bit.

Other wise i have to note how friggin far you have come with this song man. If there was a hallmark for what this community can do to help a person i thing you are the poster boy and this is the song. Great Job.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers Shan, that's awesome. I this one is currently third in line for having a vocal redo. So I'll look at that guitar solo at the same time.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:25 pm
Steve, you're on a listening mission today.
Mondays are a "work from home" (i.e. procrastinate all day) day. :D