Are You Listening (sans vocals - track 2)

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

Are You Listening (sans vocals - track 2)

Post by Armistice »

See Sore Winner post for the blurb. Same deal. This is 3:03 so a bit longer but still way short for me... :lollers:

Tanks chasps

Are You Listening?

:minernuggs: :coolstorybro:
rayc

Re: Are You Listening (sans vocals - track 2)

Post by rayc »

Yep, need access to the obscurity of modern times - the volume control.
Bass seems slightly louder than drum or guitars.
As a bassist I'm OK with that but that's me.
you've come away from long form songs in concert and give me short - that's cool.
I would like the guitars to get loud once or twice for the dynamics of it but otherwise cool bananas.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

it all sounds far away .... guitars are too hidden ... bass sounds good ..... everything else should be that loud

like the form
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This sounds like a good'un too, mate. Crack on with it.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I can hear some real fuzz or gain on the guitars to make them stand out more. Something is just lacking a little umph, if you will. Just my opinion and hearing vocals with it may change that altogether.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

musicturtle wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:30 am I can hear some real fuzz or gain on the guitars to make them stand out more. Something is just lacking a little umph, if you will. Just my opinion and hearing vocals with it may change that altogether.
I was mucking around with this in the Tone Thread - and everyone told me to take the gain off it! Which I did. :lollers:

I've just now added a big crashing delayed / reverbed guitar to the chorus for oomp, but it's not in the recorded sample above, so you'll all have to imagine it for now. :nyuk:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I kind of disagree with Boob on this one. I think the bass could share a little more of the limelight on this stripped back (for you) arrangement though!

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
Haggard Musician :mad:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Compared to the other, the bass is taking a much more dominant role.

I'd try to tweak it's tone to help it pop out more. Maybe more mid-range on it. Maybe even some distortion of some sort.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I am listening. And i like this.

I actually really like the tone of the guits just as they are. I can sort of already hear the sparkle and space of your vox and how you mix them and if it's anything like some of the other armi tracks i have heard these guits will fit around them nicely with out competing for that space and sparkle. But i suppose i should just wait for vocal mix to come out, or read the other tracks.

I am going to stand in vomithat's camp and maybe suggest that the bass be given a bit of girth and grit to give it a bit more life maybe?

2nd Listen :I am sort of hearing a volume increase in the very beginning intro bass licks when you come the rest on what i think is a G note i am not sure if my ears are playing tricks on me of if the effects on the guitar are letting that note breathe intermittently but i think i am hearing that. I'm wrong lots. I might just be tired.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think I pretty much feel the same about this one as the other one I just commented on. The drums are a little better in this one, even with the roominess. But they still sound kind of distant. The cymbals are the real problem to me. Very sizzly and washy. I think the bass can "pop" a little more. The guitars have a nice ring to them. Nice clean sustain. Good intonation on those guitars.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:18 pm I think I pretty much feel the same about this one as the other one I just commented on. The drums are a little better in this one, even with the roominess. But they still sound kind of distant. The cymbals are the real problem to me. Very sizzly and washy. I think the bass can "pop" a little more. The guitars have a nice ring to them. Nice clean sustain. Good intonation on those guitars.
Thanks - I took a bit of mid out of the guitars and the bass has popped up a bit more, so that's helped. Changed the hat sample too and that's a bit less washy - this is one of the troubles with doing anything other than basic hat work on VSTi drums - it can sound pretty average so I probably have a tendency to bury them a bit as well, but sounding better now. I won't repost until I get some singing done, however. Cheers :like:
JohnnyAmato

Post by JohnnyAmato »

Hey Armistice~

Is this getting vocals? Not sure if this is still the same version everyone else commented on or if you updated it, but I think those guitars sound great as is. Bass sounds well placed also. Great clean snare sound too. The last song I heard of yours was when you first got that reverb pedal a while back (forget the name of it)...
Pro Tools 12.7
Superior Drummer 2.0
Sound Forge Pro 10
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JohnnyAmato wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:39 am Hey Armistice~

Is this getting vocals? Not sure if this is still the same version everyone else commented on or if you updated it, but I think those guitars sound great as is. Bass sounds well placed also. Great clean snare sound too. The last song I heard of yours was when you first got that reverb pedal a while back (forget the name of it)...
Yes - this one will be getting vocals too in a couple of weeks, just as soon as I finish hanging out at the beach and get back to work. :lollers:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'm going to click on the new facebook icon just to see if it does anything... :eep:

Bombs away!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:16 am I'm going to click on the new facebook icon just to see if it does anything... :eep:

Bombs away!
And?...

Did we lose him to Facebook?
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Sooooooooooo, when do we get the vocals? :biggrin:
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:34 pm Sooooooooooo, when do we get the vocals? :biggrin:
I got sidetracked into another tune which is now almost in a similar state - so next couple of weeks for both, I hope! Next week's a bit busy, so I'll have to see how that goes.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'm going to get this damn tune finished at last this week, I hope.

Four, count 'em, four attempts at the vocals, the first three all being turfed. This time I'm just going to go with the last attempt and I'll have to learn to like it.... :mad2:

I haven't, apart from the vid, touched a guitar for weeks because if I do, before I know it I'll end up with another tune to work on and I really do need to crack on and finish this bastard and the one in the video before I make ANY MORE!!!!

Vocals - so fucking hard.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

*taps foot
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:41 am Vocals - so fucking hard.
I agree. I'm also struggling for time to get them done. Weekends usually taken up with DIY. I did smash out some vocals last Friday, which I reckon I was happy with, but I haven't had chance to mix them yet! I am gradually inching through my songs replacing my shitty early attempts at vocals with slightly less shitty versions.