Sore Winner (sans vocals - track 1)

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

Sore Winner (sans vocals - track 1)

Post by Armistice »

I don't normally post uncompleted work but as this is a bit of a new direction for 2018, I thought I'd chuck these two up and see how they were going so far and whether they're in the general ballpark, mix-wise. I haven't spent a huge amount of mix time on them yet.

They're (obviously) unmastered/louderised - so you'll have to turn them up.

The new direction is shorter, simpler, less tracks. This one is in fact only 2:14 long. I'll probably make changes once I get vocals done and see how it all sits together, but anything you feel like telling me now, is all good.

Both feature a L/R guitar track, bass and drums plus one additional guitar track. Tele will be on one side and Les Paul on the other.

Sore Winner (sans vocals)

:guitarhero: :jam: :metal: :boombox
rayc

Re: Sore Winner (sans vocals - track 1)

Post by rayc »

Cool, a little louder than the listening and more dynamic. I reckon you should do a separate track of the doo wah diddy guitar part for the beginning single guitar section as it sounds as though you rush it and that bit could ring on a little.
You have a signature sound David.
I think this'll be great.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I like this quite a bit .... mix is nice too .... no nits ..... lust liking it
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Sounds great to me, mate. Looking forward to hearing it done
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

The riff is contagious. You develop it nicely. Sounds blend well, interested how the vocal fits in.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Sounds pretty good so far.
Only thing sticking out to me is that first guitar line sounds like it might be having some timing issues without anything else to lock it in place?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I really like armi tracks.

I got no nits on this one really. I want to say that i think maybe the guitars are panned a little more up the center compared to 'are you listening"? Maybe? But thats not a nit so much as an observation i am likely wrong on.
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Hey, Armi - I'm sorry I didn't comment on this back when I reviewed the other one that you posted at the same time. I like this a lot, it has a different energy to most of your tunes. The intro/verse part reminds me very much of latter-day Radiohead. With some fidgety Drum 'n' Bass percussion and falsetto vocals, it could be a dead ringer! I know you're having difficulty recording vocals lately, but I'm looking forward to watching this develop.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm going through in here to make sure I've hit everything and I see I've missed this one and your other one. I'm sorry for that.

I think this sounds pretty good for the most part. I think the drums need more attention though. They sound small-ish and distant compared to the way up front guitars. I want the kick and snare up front with the rest more. That's how my mind's ear wants to hear it. It's not bad, but that imbalance sticks out to me.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:12 pm I'm going through in here to make sure I've hit everything and I see I've missed this one and your other one. I'm sorry for that.

I think this sounds pretty good for the most part. I think the drums need more attention though. They sound small-ish and distant compared to the way up front guitars. I want the kick and snare up front with the rest more. That's how my mind's ear wants to hear it. It's not bad, but that imbalance sticks out to me.
Cheers - yeah I just had another listen this morning at a decent volume - you're right - the drums are a tad in the background, so I've left the guitars as is and pushed everything else up, including the bass. I won't post a new mix seeing I haven't sung it yet - with luck this week, but luck ain't been running with singing lately! :lollers:
JohnnyAmato

Post by JohnnyAmato »

Interesting. Kinda Rush-like at times, Steely Dan-ish at times (kinda), very neat. Are some guitars finger-picked?

Hard to critique the mix without vocals or lead guitars yet (assuming it's gettin' em) but I would experiment with more reverb on the snare, sounds very dry, unless that's what you were going for. Doesn't sound quite as wide as "Are You Listening", but sounds just as good.
Pro Tools 12.7
Superior Drummer 2.0
Sound Forge Pro 10
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JohnnyAmato wrote: ↑Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:46 am Interesting. Kinda Rush-like at times, Steely Dan-ish at times (kinda), very neat. Are some guitars finger-picked?

Hard to critique the mix without vocals or lead guitars yet (assuming it's gettin' em) but I would experiment with more reverb on the snare, sounds very dry, unless that's what you were going for. Doesn't sound quite as wide as "Are You Listening", but sounds just as good.
Yeah, Johnny - in the verses - it's a hybrid technique I use for lots of stuff - pick between thumb and first finger, then use the 2nd and 3rd fingers to pick whatever other strings need to be plucked. Pinky just hangs around and does nothing, as usual - lazy mofo it is. Born of being an acoustic guitarist. :eek: Chorus is all strummed.

Thanks for the listen. I hope to get onto the vocals when I get back from holidays.