Take What's Free

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Take What's Free

Post by JD01 »

Posting this now as I'm unlikely to get chance to work on the vocals for this until the first weekend of Feb and aside from the vocals this one is done.

So, any initial steer you can give me on the mix prior to that would be handy as I've got another two songs currently in the works too so any improvements/ideas that you can give me I can carry over to them too.

Cheers,

2nd Jan - Pre-Vox Mix 1
Take Whats Free Pre Vox Mix.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Re: Take What's Free

Post by Greg_L »

It's okay I guess. To me it's more of the same issues I have with all of your mixes now - thinnish guitars, clickety clackety weird midrange in the kick and bass. It has to be your mixing environment and your own choices because it's the same thing every time. Your guitars are definitely better than what you used to do, but I think you've gone too far the other way trying to kill the mud and tame overall low end. It might help to just push the guitars up in the mix. The drums and bass are definitely dominating this one.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers,

I'll keep that in mind, I was just listening to another newer song (on my work cans) which I did using this one as a template and the guitars are definitely low in the mix while getting swamped by drums.

I think I'm partly still over compensating for earlier mixes that we're just drowned in guitars.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Wow there is a lot going on there but you make it work. I would agree with Greg that the guitars are a bit thin. I especially would like to hear the power chords really thump more. The performances are great though, you really can play.
rayc

Post by rayc »

The bass could use some EQ in the quiet sections - the slightly proggy edge works well for me in the loud sections.
Drums are loud - I find levels hard until there's a vocal to use as a yard stick.
Good song - busy little thing too. Your guitar tone may be a little thin, (sound fine to me though), but that's way better than the gloomy darkness of old.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:18 pm Wow there is a lot going on there but you make it work. I would agree with Greg that the guitars are a bit thin. I especially would like to hear the power chords really thump more. The performances are great though, you really can play.
Cheers mate

Greg has seen all of my journey to get a decent guitar tone from just using crappy sims to where I am now and everything in between.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers ray.

I'm probably going to leave the tracking on this as it is for now and correct any problems with a bit of EQ. I think this is close to the best I'm capable of capturing from my amp at the moment.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Some of the rhythm guitars might be a tad thin (as turtle said, on the big power chords especially) I think the tone you have on the leads is good tho. It's generally staying out of the rhythm guitars' space.