Before the Dawn

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

Re: Before the Dawn

Post by rayc »

Guitars sound really good.
There are a couple of minor plosives and esses that could be treated.
Wow, it's a popular song to cover.
I don't know or have any JP so didn't know the song before this thread.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

rayc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:39 pm Guitars sound really good.
There are a couple of minor plosives and esses that could be treated.
Wow, it's a popular song to cover.
I don't know or have any JP so didn't know the song before this thread.
Thanks Ray. Yeah gonna re-track the vocals all together. I didn't know how many covers there were of this song until I started it as well. I have always liked this song and wanted to do it as a cover in a band but never did for some reason.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

New vocal, new mix. Please listen if you like and let me know what you think.

Thanks

rayc

Post by rayc »

The re-tracking has addressed the issues I mentioned - the essing that is still in the track isn't hyped by the reverb etc so sounds quite natural. Good job.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's pretty much everything I said in my previous post addressed - double tracked the acoustics nice and tightly and they sound good.
I still think the solo isn't sitting that well, might just be a bit loud and maybe taking some of the top end off it - I'm actually listening on pretty dark headphones at the moment and it still sounds a bit harsh.

Would be very nice to be able to sing like you.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

rayc wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:01 am The re-tracking has addressed the issues I mentioned - the essing that is still in the track isn't hyped by the reverb etc so sounds quite natural. Good job.
Thanks. Yeah I backed off some of the processing, it seemed to help. Thanks for the feedback.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:27 am That's pretty much everything I said in my previous post addressed - double tracked the acoustics nice and tightly and they sound good.
I still think the solo isn't sitting that well, might just be a bit loud and maybe taking some of the top end off it - I'm actually listening on pretty dark headphones at the moment and it still sounds a bit harsh.
Thanks for the feedback, you were right on about the spacing, the vocals fit nicely with the guitars spread out. As far as the lead guitar tone/sound I kind of like the contrast of the sound related to the rest of the track. I may do some more tinkering though, with me it's almost like a project is never "finished" and can always be improved.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:27 am Would be very nice to be able to sing like you.
:like: Thanks man
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Very nice playing, singing, recording and mixing.

musicturtle wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:39 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:27 am ...I still think the solo isn't sitting that well, might just be a bit loud and maybe taking some of the top end off it...
...As far as the lead guitar tone/sound I kind of like the contrast of the sound related to the rest of the track. I may do some more tinkering though, with me it's almost like a project is never "finished" and can always be improved.
The solo...I agree w/JD that it's not blending with the rest as well as it could. However, I think it's because of the lows/low-mids. The rest of the recording is fairly light and airy, and a thicker solo tone could provide nice contrast, but it's thick/heavy enough that the contrast - while good - is a little far out of context.

You can hear a "plunk"-ing sound as some of the notes begin - right on the first note of the solo, under the ascending run around 2:02, maybe some other places. I don't know what frequencies to look at exactly, but I think if you used a separate EQ plugin to poke around the lower frequency range of the solo, and slightly cut whatever is making that plunking sound (until it sounds more clicky and less plunky), it would make the whole solo fit better into the mix.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I couldn't access that first version of this to really give it an A/B and my memory is balls. however, what i hear right here sounds really great. Acoustics sound really awesome, vocals are top shelf and you glued the two of them together really really nicely.

I am going to vote with JD that the solo isn't sitting so well. It does bit feel rougher in contrast and really upfront and away from the rest of the mix. I do't know if the notes need a bit more sustain or what it is but that could be what it is. my ears are expecting a bit more of a floaty drifity solo instead of meaty chunky solo?

I do hear the plonk sweetdan mentioned. I wouldn't have the first clue on how to fix that.

Outstanding job regardless MT. You have a pretty tremendous vocal ability dude. I've gave your soundcloud tunes a listen and chucked you a follow looking for more down the road. Cheers buddy.
:happytrees:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:29 am I couldn't access that first version of this to really give it an A/B and my memory is balls. however, what i hear right here sounds really great. Acoustics sound really awesome, vocals are top shelf and you glued the two of them together really really nicely.

I am going to vote with JD that the solo isn't sitting so well. It does bit feel rougher in contrast and really upfront and away from the rest of the mix. I do't know if the notes need a bit more sustain or what it is but that could be what it is. my ears are expecting a bit more of a floaty drifity solo instead of meaty chunky solo?

I do hear the plonk sweetdan mentioned. I wouldn't have the first clue on how to fix that.

Outstanding job regardless MT. You have a pretty tremendous vocal ability dude. I've gave your soundcloud tunes a listen and chucked you a follow looking for more down the road. Cheers buddy.
Thanks Jack.

I think I am going to have to just re-track the solo. I think the plunk is just in the way I played it after listening to it alone and trying to EQ it out.