New 1.

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Audio Monster

New 1.

Post by Audio Monster »

Little better on the drums this time.

Still going to tweak it but I'm now three hours in and my ears are mashed potatoes. Thank you Lord for not having to work tomorrow :guru:

Please feel free to bully this as I have a tendency to get in my own way when it comes to mixing myself.
Teach That Woman.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vomitHatSteve

Re: New 1.

Post by vomitHatSteve »

"Bully", you say?

The drums are fat and ugly, and I slept with their mom.
Gimme your lunch money, bass line.
I heard the guitars made out with the art teacher.

...So I was so busy bullying that I forgot to listen to the song, and now it's half over... uh...

:D

Anyway, some of it might be a tad dark? The drums at least are pretty dark; lots of low-mids and verb. The rhythm guitar seems to get darker when everything else kicks in? I can see why you might have done that to keep it from stepping on the high ends tho.

Vocals and leads sound good.
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:21 pm "Bully", you say?

The drums are fat and ugly, and I slept with their mom.
Gimme your lunch money, bass line.
I heard the guitars made out with the art teacher.

...So I was so busy bullying that I forgot to listen to the song, and now it's half over... uh...

:D

Anyway, some of it might be a tad dark? The drums at least are pretty dark; lots of low-mids and verb. The rhythm guitar seems to get darker when everything else kicks in? I can see why you might have done that to keep it from stepping on the high ends tho.

Vocals and leads sound good.
Good point about the Dark-ness. That was bugging me last night but after umpteen listens I couldn't pinpoint it. It's the low mids in the left and right guitars :facepalm: Gonna clean those up.

Thank you for not stealing the songs lunch money. :biggrin:
rayc

Post by rayc »

The thing that sticks out for remediation to my ears is the snare - it sounds distant and dull.
Otherwise not bad at all.
Cheers
rayc
Guitarslinger

Post by Guitarslinger »

I love the tone on the guitar that kicks off the song!
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

Ok, this ones better.
Teach That Woman.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yup, better.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

only on work ear buds here...

You got some crackling at the beginning of the second mix that isn't in the first AM. But there is also come crackling in the first mix too.

I'll have to give this a listen on my monitors this weekend if i can. I can sort of hear an improvement on ear buds but it is really minimal. I am sure it will be better with a better listening things.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yep definitely sounding better.
I wouldn't mind more crack on that snare still.
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:36 pm Yep definitely sounding better.
I wouldn't mind more crack on that snare still.
In retrospect I guess I should have tuned the snare up a little before I began.
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:04 pm only on work ear buds here...

You got some crackling at the beginning of the second mix that isn't in the first AM. But there is also come crackling in the first mix too.

I'll have to give this a listen on my monitors this weekend if i can. I can sort of hear an improvement on ear buds but it is really minimal. I am sure it will be better with a better listening things.
Are they, Eeeevil ear buds? Not hearing any crackling on my end so I'm somewhat troubled and intrigued.. :sherlock:
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I'm late to the party; listened to both mixes (on cans), 2nd definitely sounds better, but some of the things I heard in the 1st that bothered me still bother me in the 2nd.

The snare...it sounds like it was recorded in a different space than the rest of the drum kit, and even the rest of the "band". In fact, I hear 3 different "places" (esp. in mix 1; the places are closer together in mix 2.):

- vocals - in your face (too much "in your face" in mix 1; mix 2 they're pretty good)
- bass/guitars/kick/toms - up there, on stage, right where they should be
- snare, and the cymbals to some extent - distant, offstage? maybe it's hidden behind the curtain at the back of the stage

I think the cymbals would be more present and sound/feel like they're in the right place with just a touch more volume. I'm not exactly sure what to do about the snare, but it sounds like it could use an EQ cut somewhere in the mids/low-mids, and some presence boost. Maybe even a tape saturation plugin or harmonic exciter on a send from the snare to give it a bit more crack and zing in the mids/high-mid frequencies.

Bass/guitars/kick/toms are perfect. I wouldn't mess around with the vocals until I'd straightened out the snare and cymbals, and even then, they may not need anything. (Did you reduce their volume, or tweak the EQ, between the 2 mixes?)
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:26 am I'm late to the party; listened to both mixes (on cans), 2nd definitely sounds better, but some of the things I heard in the 1st that bothered me still bother me in the 2nd.

The snare...it sounds like it was recorded in a different space than the rest of the drum kit, and even the rest of the "band". In fact, I hear 3 different "places" (esp. in mix 1; the places are closer together in mix 2.):

- vocals - in your face (too much "in your face" in mix 1; mix 2 they're pretty good)
- bass/guitars/kick/toms - up there, on stage, right where they should be
- snare, and the cymbals to some extent - distant, offstage? maybe it's hidden behind the curtain at the back of the stage

I think the cymbals would be more present and sound/feel like they're in the right place with just a touch more volume. I'm not exactly sure what to do about the snare, but it sounds like it could use an EQ cut somewhere in the mids/low-mids, and some presence boost. Maybe even a tape saturation plugin or harmonic exciter on a send from the snare to give it a bit more crack and zing in the mids/high-mid frequencies.

Bass/guitars/kick/toms are perfect. I wouldn't mess around with the vocals until I'd straightened out the snare and cymbals, and even then, they may not need anything. (Did you reduce their volume, or tweak the EQ, between the 2 mixes?)
Thanks.

I've already done the snare fix, a little EQing did the trick. Also upping the overhead mic added a little more credence to the snare, and brass overall. I'm very happy with it now.

Cheers.

EDIT; I can't even listen to mix one without vomiting, metaphorically speaking of course.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I listened to both mixes and I agree that #2 is better.

The rhythm guitar and the vocal are competing to my ear. They both sound clustered in the 1K - 3K range.

I think you could nudge up the bass a little.

The lead guitar is a bit buried in the rhythm guitar - at least in spots. Maybe some fader rides so that it stays on top of everything?

The snare is better in the second mix, but I would like to hear just a bit more snap. It might also be a little rumbly in the low end.