Having to play drums on my own stuff.

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Audio Monster

Having to play drums on my own stuff.

Post by Audio Monster »

Any help from drummers in the building would be appreciated here. My drummer is very busy and can't help me out on this one. Whatever about my meter, but rather the anticipation and angst I get as I have to make a transition from hats to ride or simple drum rolls. Why am I getting nervous in my own house when I can make as many mistakes and takes as I need.

How do you guys settle it down and just greoove with it? I don't want it to sound like a singer/guitar player trying to play the drums!! Any pearls of wisdom or videos you could suggest? I think the song ends at about the same clip it started with but I don't know about everything in between. Haven't gotton to the vocals yet.
Blame It On The Pain.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Re: Having to play drums on my own stuff.

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. That's not that bad. You speed up in your fills. Pretty natural thing to do for a n00b. Just keep practicing with a click and with the song.
Rebel Yell
7String

Post by 7String »

Yeah, what Greg said. The song has great possibilities though!
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

You guys make it sound easy. However, it makes sense. Perhaps with practice the confidence will come, thus a better delivered performance. Like sex?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I'm not a drummer but that sounds pretty good man. the odd wongo fill and transition here and there but a much nobler effort than if i had to try that on my own.

Cool tune man. A lot of cool layers and stuff. Is it a live kit or or is it an E-kit.
:happytrees:
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:02 pm I'm not a drummer but that sounds pretty good man. the odd wongo fill and transition here and there but a much nobler effort than if i had to try that on my own.

Cool tune man. A lot of cool layers and stuff. Is it a live kit or or is it an E-kit.
Thanks WJ.

Live drums, live everything. Don't have a DAW or any such thing unless you call Sound Forge 7.0 a DAW. One day I'll be forced into the future, but not yet.
studio desk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Farview

Post by Farview »

Try an 1/8 note click. It gives you less room to speed up the fills.

Also, just sit and practice the fills to the click. Once you are comfortable with that, practice going in and out of the fills to the click (without recording).

It will help to feel the fills against the click. Then you just practice the transitions from the beat to the fill and back to the beat. After a short time, it will become muscle memory and it will just flow. Slow down the tempo at first, if it helps.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Audio Monster wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:37 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:02 pm I'm not a drummer but that sounds pretty good man. the odd wongo fill and transition here and there but a much nobler effort than if i had to try that on my own.

Thanks WJ.

Live drums, live everything. Don't have a DAW or any such thing unless you call Sound Forge 7.0 a DAW. One day I'll be forced into the future, but not yet.

studio desk.jpg
That is a cozy little spot to hnag out for an evening. nice looking desk?

How come you haven't taken the plunge into reaper?
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:24 pm
Audio Monster wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:37 am
Thanks WJ.

studio desk.jpg

I wouldn't know what to do with reaper, pro tools, cakewalk ETC if they all fell on my head. I just prefer the sound of live instruments as opposed to presets and fake drums. That being said I know that there are guys in here who mic the drums and amps etc while using some of the above programs. I'll have to do my homework on all that eventually when/IF my current system breaks down.

I do have something called FL Studio platinum.. Fruity Loops?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Audio Monster wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:43 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:24 pm

I wouldn't know what to do with reaper, pro tools, cakewalk ETC if they all fell on my head. I just prefer the sound of live instruments as opposed to presets and fake drums. That being said I know that there are guys in here who mic the drums and amps etc while using some of the above programs. I'll have to do my homework on all that eventually when/IF my current system breaks down.

I do have something called FL Studio platinum.. Fruity Loops?
Hey no worries man just a general question. Reaper is more of just a daw. A daw i would place leaps and bounds ahead of cakewalk protools. I tried shitloads of different software for capturing audio and reaper was by far the most user friendly and computer friendly application out there. it is not not really a canned drummer or fake instrument of any kind. You can still use all your live instruments and stuff. think of it more as something to run alongside of or instead of sound forge.

But your recordings have always sounded good so if it isn't broke no need to fix it, was just curious as to why sound forge is all. :metal: :metal: :metal:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Sounds really good. The drumming sounds fine to me.
You could use Reaper with you standalone machine too. Either through the standalone or copy files from it to Reaper. I went from cakewalk to Reaper & became a very happy chappy very, very quickly.
I don't use Midi etc - don't know how to but I do, as & when needed, use BIAB drums because my drum machine is wonky and my ekit isn't really up to critical listening - my ekit playing is even worse.
Cheers
rayc
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

rayc wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:00 pm Sounds really good. The drumming sounds fine to me.
You could use Reaper with you standalone machine too. Either through the standalone or copy files from it to Reaper. I went from cakewalk to Reaper & became a very happy chappy very, very quickly.
I don't use Midi etc - don't know how to but I do, as & when needed, use BIAB drums because my drum machine is wonky and my ekit isn't really up to critical listening - my ekit playing is even worse.
Thanks RC, hearing/reading all the positive Reaper feedback/reviews has me intrigued to say the least. Definitely going to look into it :like:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Audio Monster wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:59 am Definitely going to look into it :like:
Its completely free to try so there's no reason not to.

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

JD01 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:03 am
Audio Monster wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:59 am Definitely going to look into it :like:
Its completely free to try so there's no reason not to.

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php
Ok, gonna check it out! Thanks for the link.