We Are The Road Crew

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

We Are The Road Crew

Post by JD01 »

I did a cover of this ages ago was one of the first full tracks I ever posted on HR.com been meaning to redo it for ages 'cos I like the song and its simple and fun to play. I think the vocals might be a bit loud now I'm listening to the MP3 - tell me what you think.
Road Crew Mix 1.mp3
Road Crew Mix 2.mp3
Road Crew Mix 3.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JD01 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bubba

Re: We Are The Road Crew

Post by Bubba »

Ha ha, yeah - I know this one! The vocals are good, but as you say they might be a tad loud and they're jumping out from the mix. A tad more effect and a slight push back might be in order.

I would want slightly more bite to the guitars, and another guitar centre stage that comes in between the vocal lines, doing those three chord changes.

The lead sounds good, but might want a bit more fluency, which comes from doing it over and over again. You don't want to hear that, do you? :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:52 pm Ha ha, yeah - I know this one! The vocals are good, but as you say they might be a tad loud and they're jumping out from the mix. A tad more effect and a slight push back might be in order.

I would want slightly more bite to the guitars, and another guitar centre stage that comes in between the vocal lines, doing those three chord changes.

The lead sounds good, but might want a bit more fluency, which comes from doing it over and over again. You don't want to hear that, do you? :biggrin:
You think a touch more delay and verb on the lead vocal and maybe knock it down by a couple of db?

The third central rhythm guitar is a good idea - I've never done anything like that before, might try it next weekend.

I'll be able to do that lead more easily if I play a lot over the next week, I've not played as much as I normally do over the last couple of weeks and those solos were a real struggle as a result... still, they took me so fucking long to record I can definitely remember how to play the fuckers.

You're right - I think it was just a bit too loud - I've also added a touch more verb and a very quiet 2nd take to go along with it. Mix 2 above.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Yes, much better on the vocal. I'd like to hear it with the other couple of suggestions I made, but that's great so far. :)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:29 pm Yes, much better on the vocal. I'd like to hear it with the other couple of suggestions I made, but that's great so far. :)
Cheers. I might have a fiddle with it next weekend.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:58 pm
Bubba wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:29 pm Yes, much better on the vocal. I'd like to hear it with the other couple of suggestions I made, but that's great so far. :)
Cheers. I might have a fiddle with it next weekend.
When you listen to the original, the vocal delay is quite prominent and a little bit longer. Also the guitars are closer in and the drum overheads are about as wide as you can get them. That's probably why I thought the centre of the mix sounded a little empty between the vocal lines.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ah, I didn't think about the mix of the original at all actually.

I've got the guitars hard panned and the overheads about 50%
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Listened to this again with fresh ears when I got home and added a bit more delay like you said - kept the guitar and drum panning the way I had them though. I think I'm so used to hearing myself with hard panned guitars now I can't do anything else.

I've add Mix 3 above - its very similar to mix 2 though.
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

I'm a Motorhead fiend so I won't be much help here. I like it a lot! I prefer mix 3 because the vocals seem to be sitting with the music rather than way on top. Am I right about that? The vox in 1 and 2 are somewhat louder.. unless it's this damn leftover birthday booze playing tricks on me.

If you are open to any suggestions, please consider another really filthy guitar track (or crunch the existing ones up
) for a more destructive delivery. Either way, great job meng :like:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Mix 3 is pretty cool for my ears.
Vox could come down a smidge though.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 pm Mix 3 is pretty cool for my ears.
Cheers Ray,

I listened to this yesterday and I thought it was too loud but then I listened to it this morning and thought it was just about right. Maybe its just a tiny bit too loud.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:14 am
rayc wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 pm Mix 3 is pretty cool for my ears.
Cheers Ray,

I listened to this yesterday and I thought it was too loud but then I listened to it this morning and thought it was just about right. Maybe its just a tiny bit too loud.
James,
I'm a fan of buried vocals - my predilection for psych I suppose.
Cheers
rayc
Guitarslinger

Post by Guitarslinger »

I listened to the last mix. It sounds really good. The snare in particular sounds fantastic