New Chillstep Track

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Chuk

New Chillstep Track

Post by Chuk »

Hey all,

I've been working on a new project and i think its almost done but i don't know how it sounds to your ear.. It's a simple short chillstep track (which i'm experimenting) that i mixed and mastered (little knowledge) in a headphone ATH M50X.. I would love to hear any critics or any comments and also if possible can give me an idea on how the mixing really sounds on your high end monitors which i don't have currently...

Any ideas on further moving, comments, mixing tips on track or mistakes that you can find would be highly appreciated..
Track attached.
new_idea_11.mp3
Thanks a lot..
Cheers..
CHUKU
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Re: New Chillstep Track

Post by rayc »

I don't have high end monitors so am using my semi decent Sennheiser cans...
Definitely chill. The drip being a little off rhythm is good but adds tension which isn't chill.
I like it.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Chuku, I'm listening at work on my headphones (which I listen to music on most often).

Its pretty sparse but I reckon you've done a pretty good mix here, I think everything fits together pretty well, all your levels are pretty well balanced.
The only possible problem I have with it is that the piano doing the arpeggios and the piano doing the lead melody are a very similar tone and interfere with eachother a bit.

It sounds like you've tried to put a lot more 'verb on the arpeggios to make them sit further back but the lead melody sounds really close in comparison.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I really like the piano arpeggio sound on this. It sounds like it's in a real room, like a school assembly hall or something like that. Quite nostalgic and comforting. I'm not in love with the "ploop" sound, though. It just makes me think of crimping off a length :biggrin: It disturbs the seriousness of the musical feel, like somebody blowing a raspberry. I could use a bit of cello coming in as a sombre counterpoint to the plinky melody.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Chuk

Post by Chuk »

Thank you buddies.. :)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

No worries, Chuku.

Why don't you try and open up the centre of that track a bit? Your arpeggio is a simple 1,2,3,4; you could re-track it so that you just play the 1 and 3 and pan it left, then track it again playing the 2 and 4 and pan it right. Might sound awful, but it could be cool.
Chuk

Post by Chuk »

Yeah, seems to be an cool idea.. I'm planning to tweak some of the parts and instead of using Piano for chords, thinking of using some other instrument (May be Electric Guitar).. Let's see how it goes..

Thanks Mate :)

Cheers
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Chuk wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:34 am Yeah, seems to be an cool idea.. I'm planning to tweak some of the parts and instead of using Piano for chords, thinking of using some other instrument (May be Electric Guitar).. Let's see how it goes..

Thanks Mate :)

Cheers
Cool, was just thinking it will open up the middle of the track. If you do play the arpeggios on guitar remember you can double track them (maybe separate octaves or harmonies or something) and pan them either side to keep them out of the way of your lead piano melody.

चियरहरू
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:58 am चियरहरू
:confused: :confused:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Chuk wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:16 pm Hey all,

I've been working on a new project and i think its almost done but i don't know how it sounds to your ear.. It's a simple short chillstep track (which i'm experimenting) that i mixed and mastered (little knowledge) in a headphone ATH M50X.. I would love to hear any critics or any comments and also if possible can give me an idea on how the mixing really sounds on your high end monitors which i don't have currently...

Any ideas on further moving, comments, mixing tips on track or mistakes that you can find would be highly appreciated..
Track attached.new_idea_11.mp3
Thanks a lot..
Cheers..
CHUKU
Hey Chuk, I am giving it a spin on my rokkets. I am pretty unfamiliar with the whole genre, however i can appreciate where you are headed with this. If i had any two cents to offer up here is that there seems to be a lack of any kind of bottom end? And as the song comes to a close in and around where you have that thunder bit the back ground wind and rain sort of sounds almost like "hiss" tape hiss, or overly compressed mic dead air. The vibe you started with sort of disappears as all the elements come together. Possibly intended? if so bravo!

I know nothing about envelopes or automation but if it were up to me this would be a good project to figure out how to maybe monkey around with those to maybe automate some eq to bring up some of the low end rumble in that back ground rain and wind to fill in the low end as like a pad or something?

Despite that all your sounds are really nice and i feel they are balanced out pretty well.
:happytrees:
Chuk

Post by Chuk »

Hey WhiskeyJack,
I am experimenting with some natural elements (Rain/ Thunder) in this track and i think it compliments the track well. I liked the track with Rain in the background rather than muting it :), So i just decided to keep this natural element but I've slowly descended the decibels as the song moves forward. However, the final track and mixing/mastering needs to be redone.
Thank you for taking time to reply :)

Greg_L,
Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:18 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:58 am चियरहरू
:confused: :confused:
He meant to say "Cheers" in Nepali language but Google Translate failed to translate 100% correctly :P but i understood what he was trying to say :lollers:

Cheers
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Chuk wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:18 am He meant to say "Cheers" in Nepali language but Google Translate failed to translate 100% correctly :P but i understood what he was trying to say :lollers:

Cheers
haha, that was pure google translate. I didn't hold out much hope for it being right.