VIDEO - Whirlwind

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

VIDEO - Whirlwind

Post by Armistice »

OK - so I went 11 hours' drive north a few weeks back to stay at a mate's place. Earlier in the year, February, said mate's son and his mate (you following me?) lobbed down at my place in Sydney. They work in film and had an opportunity to get some days on Pacific Rim 2 which was filming. So I had a couple of 20 year olds camping in the spare room for a week and a bit - it wasn't too bad, they weren't there all that much.

As a throwaway, I said "Make me some music videos!" and gave the son a few wav files to take home. Now I didn't know what he was going to do - I assumed he'd have some funky graphics program that could spin out something, anything, so that there was a bit of colour and movement on the screen because you just never can get people to listen to a music file, it has to be YouTube.

And then nothing happened, for a very long time. I hassled him occasionally, but not seriously. "Working on it!"

So then I went up there a few weeks back, and it turns out he had done a bit of work, and so the next morning I had to get up at 5.00 am and wander around the place with my guitar, miming to a song that has many interweaving lines that I haven't played since I recorded it a year back and none of which I could remember anyway, while he sat in the back of a van with his camera and his father drove down the driveway and I tried to keep the same distance away.

To up the level of difficulty, I had to not only remember the damn words, but mime them at 1.5 x the speed, which will, when you see the video, explain how I can walk in slo-mo but sing in real time... :biggrin:

A few takes later and a bit of incidental stuff on the road and with his drone and it was done. It's a long song, sorry. You'll notice that what I'm "playing" on the guitar doesn't really match closely with the music and I think I forgot some words somewhere. But still, it's not bad I reckon!
Armistice

Re: VIDEO - Whirlwind

Post by Armistice »

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb2HeY6Tmus&t=7s[/BBvideo]

There's a second one, but we'll get this one out of the way first. :nyuk:
7String

Post by 7String »

Very cool! The song is great and the vid is well put together, in my opinion. Well done!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Reminds me of the old Long Form Video of the Rock Arena days.
Def looks por and polished - the unclutteredness of it is very cool.
Excellent song and the video really works for it.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armi!! Dude. That was really well put together i really liked it. Professional product in a professional package!

A little dissapointed with the lack of koalas and kangaroos but all around great job man.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Looks great mate and it definitely sounds like an armistice song.

You should worm one of them cork hats... would have been cool if you got bit by a Taipan at the end.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Looks really good, mate. :biggrin: It does get a little samey with the sparse imagery and the fact that it's a long song, but thumbs up!
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very good quality.....very very slow. I found it too long for me. I'll finish it today.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Man that's really cool!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

7String wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:27 am Very cool! The song is great and the vid is well put together, in my opinion. Well done!
Cheers 7
rayc wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:35 am Reminds me of the old Long Form Video of the Rock Arena days.
Def looks por and polished - the unclutteredness of it is very cool.
Excellent song and the video really works for it.
Thanks ray - geez the country's dry out there, as you can probably tell!
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am Armi!! Dude. That was really well put together i really liked it. Professional product in a professional package!

A little dissapointed with the lack of koalas and kangaroos but all around great job man.
Thanks WJ - perhaps he can add a few in "post" (I'm completely hip with the tech terms... :lollers: ) Actually I don't think I've ever seen a roo there, there are koalas about, but not on their property. It's more snake country.
JD01 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:08 am Looks great mate and it definitely sounds like an armistice song.

You should worm one of them cork hats... would have been cool if you got bit by a Taipan at the end.
There was probably such a hat around - the son likes dressing up as Russel Coight, a fictitious Australian comedy dude who wears such a hat. No taipans here, just eastern browns, which are worse. You don't go wandering around in the long grass here - I stuck to the driveway. :eek:
Bubba wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:58 am Looks really good, mate. :biggrin: It does get a little samey with the sparse imagery and the fact that it's a long song, but thumbs up!
Cheers - he picked the two longest songs from the 5 or 6 I gave him for some reason. I don't mind. Way better than anything I could come up with. :biggrin:
Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:38 am Very good quality.....very very slow. I found it too long for me. I'll finish it today.
Yeah thanks. I didn't think it'd be exactly your cup of meat. :lollers: :punk:
liv_rong wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:09 pm Man that's really cool!
Thanks Liv.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Cool!

Is that you? Why do you look like David Bowie?!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm Cool!

Is that you? Why do you look like David Bowie?!
I couldn't afford a stunt double who was better looking... :lollers:

I don't really look that much like David Bowie... :eep:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Armistice wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:11 am ... and so the next morning I had to get up at 5.00 am and wander around the place with my guitar...
I thought maybe your car broke down and you had to walk to give the guitar back to him.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

miroslav wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:45 pm
Armistice wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:11 am ... and so the next morning I had to get up at 5.00 am and wander around the place with my guitar...
I thought maybe your car broke down and you had to walk to give the guitar back to him.
He wouldn't be getting it back... :guitarhero:
rayc

Post by rayc »

It is a nice way to remember the guitar.
Cheers
rayc