Baby Likes Gees

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Baby Likes Gees

Post by WhiskeyJack »

hey man, going to throw my two cents out there.

JD has a pretty comprehensive workflow on how to dum down ezdrummer so i won't comment on it much becasue as usual i am so late to the listen thread. I read your comment about why you used fill to provide a a nuance to the song and i think i get what you were going after, but i think you got bit by the EZdrummer bug. I feel for that to a little bit when i first started using it. The fills are cool and have their place, i would maybe try to find a less complicated fill and if you can definitely work at making it flow better. there was a pretty wild fill near the end around the 2 min mark. it just kind of starts and BAM it's there. It felt mechanical.

Major draw back of drag and drop midi canned beats. be wary of that. If i want a cool fill, i will go thru some of the songwriter midipacks and find something that has a build up to the fill. I am not sure if you know what i mean or if EZD comes stock with these fills but they exist and i find it is better to use those fills and doctor the midi segment to chop out the bit leading up to the fill. Reason being is that the play through is sort of "there" already and there is some more natural flow to it. rather than wham bam here's your fill man.

Learning to tickle EZdrummer the right way is a pain in the ass but it can be done. Minerman was brilliant at it before he decided to go rouge and decide to actually play drums (wtf) and JD is really getting there with his stuff.

Also i thought the snare was kind of buried in there after all that. I had it playing in the background while i typed this up and i really can't hear much snare at all.

Aside from that it is fun little tune dude. Your wife sounds like someone i don't want to drive with.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 pm I also use EZD primarily. (e.g. http://www.regdarandthefighters.com/dow ... FwbmV3dG9u)
Dude. Kitty in the bag. a+++++++++ jam. It's going on my phone asap. :like: :like: :like: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees:
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:34 am If i want a cool fill, i will go thru some of the songwriter midipacks and find something that has a build up to the fill. I am not sure if you know what i mean or if EZD comes stock with these fills but they exist and i find it is better to use those fills and doctor the midi segment to chop out the bit leading up to the fill. Reason being is that the play through is sort of "there" already and there is some more natural flow to it. rather than wham bam here's your fill man.
One of the things I do before a fill is on the bar before, just as the fill is going to come in have the last 2 - 3 beats on the hi-hat with the hi-hat more open. So, if you have a closed hi hat beat, let it open slightly for 2 two hits, then fairly open for a two more before the fill starts.

Also, adding a bit more intensity to the kicks, doubling them up and stuff before the fill.

These two things sound like a faff, editing the MIDI but they only take a minute really.