Microbes On Mars

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Microbes On Mars

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Pfffft. Night and day difference between the two mixes on the vocals JD . huge Improvement. Wise decison to chnage things up. heck ya buddy.

Acoustics sound awesome. You really got your process dialed in on that and i would be very curious to pick your brain on how you capture that. Anytime i try mine just get woofy and sort of dull.

Your dirty electric guits tho, are paper ass thin mon frere. It just feels like all high mid if you aren't soloing or chugging along with a palm mute. So odd. I think if they were on their own and turned up i could see how they could sound kind of ok. but in the mix the open chords just sound thin. there has gotta be a way to beef them up.

Stellar flute performance !!! :like: :like: :like: Compliments to the flutist. :coolstorybro: :happytrees:

You should send this to Greg Graffin somehow. I think he'd get a semi chub with all those big words and science you are dropping.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:50 am Pfffft. Night and day difference between the two mixes on the vocals JD . huge Improvement. Wise decison to chnage things up. heck ya buddy.

Acoustics sound awesome. You really got your process dialed in on that and i would be very curious to pick your brain on how you capture that. Anytime i try mine just get woofy and sort of dull.

Your dirty electric guits tho, are paper ass thin mon frere. It just feels like all high mid if you aren't soloing or chugging along with a palm mute. So odd. I think if they were on their own and turned up i could see how they could sound kind of ok. but in the mix the open chords just sound thin. there has gotta be a way to beef them up.

Stellar flute performance !!! :like: :like: :like: Compliments to the flutist. :coolstorybro: :happytrees:

You should send this to Greg Graffin somehow. I think he'd get a semi chub with all those big words and science you are dropping.
LOL - cheers WJ. I'm planning on doing more work on my electric punky-chug tone this weekend.

So acoustics... unfortunately you're not going to like the answer... its just a really fucking good acoustic guitar: A Martin Ellipse that I picked up 2nd hand a few years ago which I'm finger picking pretty hard. Exact same set up as dancing in the dark but I'm strumming that with a really thick pick and I'm really happy with the sound of the acoustics on that.

I tried a load of different fancy ways of micing that you read about, 2ndary 57 pointing at the bridge and stuff like that but decided that it was all bollocks. Its just sitting on the sofa in front of the curtains with the AKG C1000S pointing at about the 14th fret about 15cm off the fretboard. I was talking to RAMI about these mics before (he uses a pair as drum overheads), he said they can be quite thin which probably takes the boominess out of large bodied acoustic.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:15 am LOL - cheers WJ. I'm planning on doing more work on my electric punky-chug tone this weekend.
From where i sit I think your punky chug tone is good, It is when all your chords and strumming is wide open and not muted where it thins out. I went thru some of my stuff after i reviewed yours and mine thin out a bit when not being muted or chugged, but it isn't as drastic a drop as what yours seem to do to my ears.

I didn't really read but are those sim tones or is that your Blackstar.
JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:15 am So acoustics... unfortunately you're not going to like the answer...
I love it. It's why i asked. That is a great guitar.
JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:15 am I tried a load of different fancy ways of micing that you read about, 2ndary 57 pointing at the bridge and stuff like that but decided that it was all bollocks.
Ditto. that method is a lot of extra work for a track i never ended up using.
JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:15 am Its just sitting on the sofa in front of the curtains with the AKG C1000S pointing at about the 14th fret about 15cm off the fretboard.
This might be my problem. I play in my kitchen it's got big high ceilings and fantastic acoustics. I should try to make use of the curtains in the living room. I mic at the 12th fret about 10cm off. So i may try your method next. I have one cover song that needs a retracking. this seems like the perfect excuse to re track it.

Thanks JD.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, its just my Blackstar but using the OCD on Hi-Pass as I've been doing lately. I'm also using the single coil split on a lot of this which probably contributes to it.

I can actually get my living room to be pretty dry when the curtains are closed and the sofa is in the right place.

I was lucky to get that acoustic - cost me 500 quid off a girl I used to play in a band with.
Here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5u2lqYoI-Q
Can't find one 2nd hand on the web but this is what to look for:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... ric-guitar
it really is a nice guitar and not taking the piss expensive, I'd not enjoyed playing an acoustic for years and years until I tried this. I just gave my Korean Tanglewood to my niece when I picked this up.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Martins are pretty dang dependable and that one is probably a bit more top shelf than some of their offerings man. nice snag. It sounds great dude. its clean and to what my ears like you got it dialed in really well in your set up.

I have had a few acoustics over the years, and i rented this one last year while i was working away from home all those months, and it blew me away. Very happy with how it sounds and how it plays. So i bought it outright and haven;t even looked at my other ones. So i may sell one of them. I do think though that the Taylor needs new strings.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Oh, that looks like a lovely guitar. In that case you just need to spend an hour fucking about with mics trying various things and listening back until you have what you want.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:58 pm Oh, that looks like a lovely guitar. In that case you just need to spend an hour fucking about with mics trying various things and listening back until you have what you want.
Yes definitely going to try out your set up. Inly thing that sucks is i gotta move my whole feckin computer upstairs out of the basement since my laptop died. First world problems i wager
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just hang curtains in the basement! They don't have to be covering a window. Make it look like a fucking opium den.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:08 pm Just hang curtains in the basement! They don't have to be covering a window. Make it look like a fucking opium den.

JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:45 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:08 pm Just hang curtains in the basement! They don't have to be covering a window. Make it look like a fucking opium den.

OK, get some furs too if you really want them.