bit more cheese

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
itsnotkcearl

bit more cheese

Post by itsnotkcearl »

kinda gave up on it...hope everyones having a lurvly week :robus:

Death, War, Discipline, weekends off.
vomitHatSteve

Re: bit more cheese

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Is that "A bit more cheese" or "I bit more cheese"? 'cause I'm much more into the latter.

Snare might be a touch loud. Otherwise, nothing's really jumping out on the first listen.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't think the snare is too loud actually - sounds about right for the stuff. The snare reminds me of "So?" by Soft Cell.
I think the xylophone/glockenspiel melody thing that gradually mutates is a touch loud or could do with being a bit further back.
The xylophone/glockenspiel melody really clashes with the lead synth that comes in after the break - sounds kinda cool though, but is also a bit uncomfortable to listen to. You could try and give these two things different spaces.
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

JD01 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:22 pm I don't think the snare is too loud actually - sounds about right for the stuff. The snare reminds me of "So?" by Soft Cell.
I think the xylophone/glockenspiel melody thing that gradually mutates is a touch loud or could do with being a bit further back.
The xylophone/glockenspiel melody really clashes with the lead synth that comes in after the break - sounds kinda cool though, but is also a bit uncomfortable to listen to. You could try and give these two things different spaces.
thanks man...yeah those parts fight a bit...I dont want to drop the bells but I could try automating the volume a bit more

the drums are a linndrum, in all likelihood they were used by soft cell, good ears ;)
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:17 pm Is that "A bit more cheese" or "I bit more cheese"? 'cause I'm much more into the latter.

Snare might be a touch loud. Otherwise, nothing's really jumping out on the first listen.
I bit more cheese...Im always biting cheese, its why Im fat :biggrin:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

itsnotkcearl wrote: ↑Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:26 pm
JD01 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:22 pm I don't think the snare is too loud actually - sounds about right for the stuff. The snare reminds me of "So?" by Soft Cell.
thanks man...yeah those parts fight a bit...I dont want to drop the bells but I could try automating the volume a bit more

the drums are a linndrum, in all likelihood they were used by soft cell, good ears ;)
This is the snare sound it immediately reminded me of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR_F5gt7UF4

I don't think its a volume thing with the bells - they just felt really far forward to me like they could use a bit more verb.
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

ive changed the verb completely, the lexicon wasn't working...trying uad emt 140

yup that snare sounds like one of the linns for sure..I love eighties drum machines, not the electronic ones so much but the ones that try badly to sound like the real thing
rayc

Post by rayc »

80s dums that try too hard = My TR 505s would be that. I have two because one started to wander but when the 2nd arrived - it too wanders.
I like the snare and the overall sound - made me think a New Romancer was about to sing or New Order were in mellow mode.
Cheers
rayc
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

I love my wee tr505...you can buy an upgraded eprom that has the linn/dmx sounds too

http://harryaxten.altervista.org/tr505expansion.html

Ive never played it for longer that eight bars but my alpha juno's midi drifts.

Yeah the tracks missing vocals or something. It was more of an experiment in using six note chords (two triads,left hand minor, right hand major) not sure the music theory name for this...I ended up just recording it anyway. Need to track something a bit more edgy than these cheesy eighties things, but the kids make me too happy lol
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Very nice. Nice wide synths. I liked that. I liked the "8 bit Atari keyboard" sound - worked well.

Levels on things are pretty well balanced.

I thought everything was nice except the kick had a little clicky-click on the attack that I thought kind of got in the way of things. But that's a minor thing.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

nice ...... a Linndrumb .... wow .... don't hear those a lot.
A patch or a real Linndrum?
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

A real one (not mine πŸ™)
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

TripleM wrote: ↑Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:02 pm Very nice. Nice wide synths. I liked that. I liked the "8 bit Atari keyboard" sound - worked well.

Levels on things are pretty well balanced.

I thought everything was nice except the kick had a little clicky-click on the attack that I thought kind of got in the way of things. But that's a minor thing.
Thanks Trip...synths are a bit huge, good old vintage strings in there
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

It's a bit "chillout" for my tastes, KC, but well done. I wish you could get some vocals on your stuff.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I think my niece would actually sound good on KCs stuff.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This is not something i listen to a lot of so i all i really have to offer is that it sounds well done. Crispy and sparkly. I could see it being used in a video of some sort. Alpine back country skiing docs? I dunno.

I'll just see myself out. Sorry KC.
:happytrees:
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

Bubba wrote: ↑Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:55 am It's a bit "chillout" for my tastes, KC, but well done. I wish you could get some vocals on your stuff.
I used to "sing" quite a bit on my early stuff but recorded one track where the vocals were completely out of tune but I couldnt hear it...that was time to retire them lol

Thanks for listening bud
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

JD01 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:56 am I think my niece would actually sound good on KCs stuff.
This seems quite rude, I am married...quite happily

Oh you meant on the song...gawd how embarassing, sorry mate :facepalm: :nyuk:
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:39 am This is not something i listen to a lot of so i all i really have to offer is that it sounds well done. Crispy and sparkly. I could see it being used in a video of some sort. Alpine back country skiing docs? I dunno.

Skiing? Funny glaze and rime are types of frost!

I used to love listening to music when I snowboarded...never as cheesy as this...I dont know why Im attracted to cheese, both musically and the dairy product.

Ive since moved onto a different project, bought the latest sampler and even broke out my guitars and bass...look out world! :biggrin:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

itsnotkcearl wrote: ↑Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:58 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:39 am This is not something i listen to a lot of so i all i really have to offer is that it sounds well done. Crispy and sparkly. I could see it being used in a video of some sort. Alpine back country skiing docs? I dunno.

I used to love listening to music when I snowboarded...never as cheesy as this...I dont know why Im attracted to cheese, both musically and the dairy product.

Ive since moved onto a different project, bought the latest sampler and even broke out my guitars and bass...look out world! :biggrin:
:lollers2: