Help Me Out?

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
7String

Re: Help Me Out?

Post by 7String »

Audio Monster wrote: ↑Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:39 amWhen listening to the overall groove of the provided clip and without focusing on any particular instrument, I think this has potential to be a petty groovy tune.
It's from back in the early/mid-70s. I'm going to do a bit more work on the bass, i.e., recut it again and then post the entire song.

Thanks for the comment and the listen!
7String

Post by 7String »

Ok, as promised, below is the link to the whole song in MP3 format. I did the best I could with the POS bass and I changed the snare. This is how it will stay until I get the new bass. Thanks to all who gave suggestions! Much appreciated!

As far as the bass goes, I ran into the BOD, then into an Ampeg SVT with 8x10 cab from Two Notes, a little compression and that's it.

Thanks for the suggestions for the BOD. I like it!

Sorry it took a little longer to get back to this. Major back pain this week! Can barely stand up straight.

If You Want To Get To Heaven MP3
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I like it!
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I thought it sounded OK. I thought the musicianship was good.

I think things could sound much better if you chose different drum samples. There is a ton of reverb on them, and it's kind of gumming up the mix. I'd choose a different reverb for the instruments (especially the harmonica) and vocal too. I'd choose much subtler reverbs.

The vocal is missing some high end. It sounds a bit distant. It's a bit far back in the mix.

The rhythm guitar on the right had a bunch of gain dialed in and it was kind of mushy and indistinct.

The bass was decent. It had a little bit of a boomy low end. If you have a low end boost somewhere, I'd reduce or eliminate it.
7String

Post by 7String »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:13 amI like it!
Thank you, Sir!
TripleM wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:03 pm I thought it sounded OK. I thought the musicianship was good.

I think things could sound much better if you chose different drum samples. There is a ton of reverb on them, and it's kind of gumming up the mix. I'd choose a different reverb for the instruments (especially the harmonica) and vocal too. I'd choose much subtler reverbs.

The vocal is missing some high end. It sounds a bit distant. It's a bit far back in the mix.

The rhythm guitar on the right had a bunch of gain dialed in and it was kind of mushy and indistinct.

The bass was decent. It had a little bit of a boomy low end. If you have a low end boost somewhere, I'd reduce or eliminate it.
I only have a short room reverb on the drums and a separate short room verb on the rest of the instruments, so not sure what you are hearing. Vocal probably is low. I get a funny feeling about it being too high in the mix, like lots of singers. The guitar on the right was done that way on purpose because the original was kind of the same way but I did think about cleaning it up some and might still after the new bass gets here. Yeah, that bass guitar has a TON too much bottom in it and I can't wait to replace that POS! I've tried everything and can only get a barely passable sound from it so out it goes!

Thanks for the listen and the comments, TripleM!