One Breath Away....

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rammer24

Re: One Breath Away....

Post by rammer24 »

MINERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you didn't know this section existed. :D You got to post something up, man.

Thanx for the comments. I'm putting together a CD right now, so I'm all over the place with artwork and shit. It's fun, but since I'm a musician and not a graphic artist, it's a little aggravating and too time comsuming for my liking. Anyway, good to see you here, dude.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 am MINERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx for the comments. I'm putting together a CD right now, so I'm all over the place with artwork and shit. It's fun, but since I'm a musician and not a graphic artist, it's a little aggravating and too time comsuming for my liking. Anyway, good to see you here, dude.
I thought you didn't know this section existed.
Hey dude...I do come here a lot man, I just don't post much...

I have to agree you're neck deep in a lot of different things putting a cd out, but save me one when you get 'em...
rammer24 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 am:D You got to post something up, man.
I know, I know dude...Not gonna say exactly when, but I will be putting something up before too much longer...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I think you were right to not go LCR on this one. You'd either end up with important guitars missing entirely in each channel or a really narrow mix.

Nice harmonies.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:37 pm I think you were right to not go LCR on this one. You'd either end up with important guitars missing entirely in each channel or a really narrow mix.

Nice harmonies.
Thanx alot HVS. Yeah, I'm glad you confirmed what I thought. I'm sure LCR works when it works, but I don't think it would have worked for this one.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

The first time I heard this was on the internet computer...but them yesterday I was in the studio, so I pulled it up on the monitors, and that's when I could hear just how tight you have the L/R image. It wasn't apparent at the internet computer, since everything is kinda mono-ish due to the small speaker spread.
Anyway...I can see that the most you had everything spread was about 10:00 - 2:00...which seemed a bit too tight.
My studio monitors are spread about 5.5 feet, so I can really hear the stereo imaging.

What caught my ear was that your lead vocal is off-center (which may be intentional) and it sits at about 12:30-1:00...same with the lead guitar.
The other thing was that when the chorus kicks in...the vocals are pulled to the opposite side, to about 11:00-11:30...maybe that's just the level of the second vocal level doing that when it comes in?

It's all personal taste and everything...I just would have maybe opened it up a bit more, but then, I've always been obsessed with wide L/R mixes. :D Not saying go full LCR...just maybe a bit more width, with the lead vocal centered (if you weren't going for that Beatles thing :) ).
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx Miro.

Actually, the vocals are right up the middle, panned dead centre. The guitars are panned 50% each side. I might have the solo guitar track at 25% but I can't remember. But I'm sure about the vocals and the other guitars.
7String

Post by 7String »

This is just SO freakin' good! Your writing and performance is great. I'm curious. Do you pan any of the BGV's at all? They sound like they are straight up center on this on first listen. At any rate, your voice sounds great harmonizing with yourself. If you tried putting other people as BGV singers it would totally ruin the "Rami Sound."
rammer24 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:13 pmI might seem to be good at this, but I'm not. I have very little technical knowledge and fly by the seat of my pants most of the time. I just happen to know what works for me and my songs with my equipment. :like:
You have great instincts.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:38 pm Thanx Miro.

Actually, the vocals are right up the middle, panned dead centre. The guitars are panned 50% each side. I might have the solo guitar track at 25% but I can't remember. But I'm sure about the vocals and the other guitars.
I will recheck your MP3 file, and compare against known refs for the stereo image.
One thing I spent a lot of time on was setting up these monitors for accurate L/R imaging...so that's why the off-center vocals caught my ear.

[EDIT]

Nope...now that I really focused on them and made sure I was in the mix position...the lead vocals are centered. It was the guitar pulling.
Sorry...wasn't trying to imply anything was wrong...just needed another listen. :)
When the chorus comes in though, there is some kind of FX or something with the back-up vox that leans them to the left. Maybe it's just the psychoacoustic effect of the combined harmonies.
Last edited by miroslav on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

7String wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:57 pm This is just SO freakin' good! Your writing and performance is great. I'm curious. Do you pan any of the BGV's at all? They sound like they are straight up center on this on first listen. At any rate, your voice sounds great harmonizing with yourself. If you tried putting other people as BGV singers it would totally ruin the "Rami Sound."
Thanx a lot, man. First of all, I'm glad you came back because I wanted to thank you for your comments on my bass the last song I posted. It made me really listen and work on it. I re-mixed all my tunes with a new virtual pedal on the bass and I think I got a much nicer bass sound now. I wouldn't have even considered doing that if you didn't mention it. So, thanx.

As far as this tune, I just checked and the BG vocals are panned alittle bit. 25% each side. So, they might be a little tight. I used to spread the fuck out of my back vocals but I noticed that most songs don't really do that, si I brought them in a bit.
Last edited by rammer24 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

miroslav wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:20 pm I will recheck your MP3 file, and compare against known refs for the stereo image.
One thing I spent a lot of time on was setting up these monitors for accurate L/R imaging...so that's why the off-center vocals caught my ear.
Cool. Yeah, I just double checked. The lead vocals are straight up the middle. Unless there's something wrong with my copy of REAPER, they should be there, regardless of my monitoring system, etc...because what you're hearing is what's being rendered from REAPER.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

You beat me to it...I just edited my post above. :)
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:36 pm I re-mixed all my tunes with a new virtual pedal on the bass and I think I got a much nicer bass sound now.
What did you use?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

HAHA! We went through this already. You already checked out my BOD. I have a nice BOD. :D
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

miroslav wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:40 pm You beat me to it...I just edited my post above. :)
Ah ok cool. Yes, entirely possible something's making the chorus lean. Maybe the guitar part or something. Thanx for checking all that out. I really appreciate it. :like:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:42 pm HAHA! We went through this already. You already checked out my BOD. I have a nice BOD. :D
:facepalm:

Right...they say short-term memory goes first. :D
7String

Post by 7String »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:36 pmThanx a lot, man. First of all, I'm glad you came back because I wanted to thank you for your comments on my bass the last song I posted. It made me really listen and work on it. I re-mixed all my tunes with a new virtual pedal on the bass and I think I got a much nicer bass sound now. I wouldn't have even considered doing that if you didn't mention it. So, thanx.
No problem! It was just something that really stood out to me so I pointed it out.
rammer24 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:36 pmAs far as this tune, I just checked and the BG vocals are panned alittle bit. 25% each side. So, they might be a little tight. I used to spread the fuck out of my back vocals but I noticed that most songs don't really do that, si I brought them in a bit.
Sounds great to me! Like I said, nobody else could make them sound as good. It's all part of the "Rami" sound.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I remember this one. I got nuthin. I'd say this mix is pretty much perfect just as it is. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:56 pm I remember this one. I got nuthin. I'd say this mix is pretty much perfect just as it is. :coolstorybro:
Thanx Greg. That's great. You have a good memory. The only thing I remember about posting this about 3 or 4 years ago was Dobro saying I have to change the first line from "Write a letter" because nobody writes letters any more. So, to make it modern, I should say "Write an e-mail"....and he was serious. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:50 pm
Thanx Greg. That's great. You have a good memory. The only thing I remember about posting this about 3 or 4 years ago was Dobro saying I have to change the first line from "Write a letter" because nobody writes letters any more. So, to make it modern, I should say "Write an e-mail"....and he was serious. :D
Yeah well dobro was a fucking moron, so.....
Rebel Yell
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I thought this sounded terrific, as always.

The only thing I'd change if it were me is I'd dry up the lead vocal just a bit.

But I wouldn't change anything else.