How Many Times Have You Broken My Heart?

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
paulman

How Many Times Have You Broken My Heart?

Post by paulman »

I appreciate everyone's comments on Nanosecond, but I had to hit the pause button on that for the weekend. I recorded a couple of songs with my friend Kelly who was in from out of town, and this is the first one. These lyrics were in a briefcase that the cops found in Hank Williams' Cadillac after he died in it. The song was finished by Norah Jones a few years ago. Kelly is the lead vocal, and I am the lower and upper harmonies. Not much else to say, just tell me what you think. I've never mixed country before, or even played a country guitar solo. I do think that country would be better off if Norah Jones co-wrote all of it.

ido1957

Re: How Many Times Have You Broken My Heart?

Post by ido1957 »

Great recording paulman, not a bad bit of pickin for not being a country player. Kelly has a great voice - I'd ask to borrow that vocal mic but I couldn't do it justice like her :) I'd say this is as pure as country gets for a guy in my age bracket. :wink:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
paulman

Post by paulman »

Thanks man! I'm really pumped about this one. Those harmonies just lift me up off the ground. I'm working on finishing up the other one she sang with me now. Hoping I have a drum track left in me tonight, because that's all I have left to track on that one. But Game of Thrones is calling, so I don't know...
rayc

Post by rayc »

Like Wilco & Billy Bragg's completion stuff on Mermaid Ave?
Period perfect I think.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Paulman - there's nothing wrong with this at all!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I might bump the falsetto male harmony down just a touch. it's sticking out a bit to me. I think something about his enunciation isn't quite matching the others too.

No percussion? Interesting
paulman

Post by paulman »

rayc wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:21 am Like Wilco & Billy Bragg's completion stuff on Mermaid Ave?
Period perfect I think.
Yup, just like that, except the Hank album is twelve different artists. The lyrics were given to Bob Dylan to finish, but he decided to get some help and only wrote one himself. This Norah Jones song was the best one, in my opinion. I like the one Jack White did, but I can't stand the way he sings it.
paulman

Post by paulman »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:55 am Paulman - there's nothing wrong with this at all!
Thanks JD!
paulman

Post by paulman »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:44 am No percussion? Interesting
You must not be a Hank fan. :) It was a little strange not having any percussion.

I think my love of The Band has gotten me used to loose harmonies. I know it could be tighter in some spots, but it just doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it.