Drum Buss/OH Compression

Vocals too high in the mix? Too low? Not even sure? Snare sounds wonky? And how do I make everything louder than everything else? Step in, step in, for your mix Viagra from people who know the secrets.
Post Reply
7String
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by 7String » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:47 pm

I'm just curious what everyone uses on the drum buss and OH's. I usually have EZD for drums and was using TDR's Feedback Compressor II but since I upgraded to a 2nd Gen Focusrite 18i8, I can't set the buffers high enough for the latency and I get a huge CPU hit. So I'm in search of something a little less CPU intensive.

User avatar
Greg_L
Posts: 5264
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:07 pm
Location: Where the knuckle meets the poophole

Re: Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by Greg_L » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Rebel Yell

7String
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Re: Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by 7String » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Forgot about the VOS stuff. Thanks for the reminder, Greg! I'll give it a shot.

User avatar
JD01
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:11 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by JD01 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:26 pm

What DAW do you use. There's some excellent stuff with Reaper.

User avatar
Tadpui
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by Tadpui » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:34 pm

If you're using a 64-bit DAW, see if you can find a 64-bit plugin to use. 32-bit plugins have to run in a special emulator, and they take a performance hit in doing so. Sometimes that's fine, but sometimes it's enough to push your CPU over the edge and can cause pops/clicks/crackles/dropouts.

7String
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Re: Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by 7String » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:51 pm

JD01 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:26 pm
What DAW do you use. There's some excellent stuff with Reaper.
I'm using the latest Reaper x64 version. I love their stock plugs.
Tadpui wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:34 pm
If you're using a 64-bit DAW, see if you can find a 64-bit plugin to use. 32-bit plugins have to run in a special emulator, and they take a performance hit in doing so. Sometimes that's fine, but sometimes it's enough to push your CPU over the edge and can cause pops/clicks/crackles/dropouts.
Yep. I tried the VOS plug and while I love the sound, the PCU hit is about the same as the TDR. I forgot they were 32-bit...

Sometimes I wonder if my video card might have something to do with all the snaps, crackles and pops. A lot of times a certain plug in will go into stall mode while trying to display the GUI.

User avatar
Tadpui
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by Tadpui » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 pm

I had horrible problems with a video card that my motherboard really hated. It seriously degraded my system audio performance. I'd say yank the graphics card, run off of the integrated mobo graphics, and see if it helps. It might, it might not. But it's worth a try!

7String
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Re: Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by 7String » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am

Tadpui wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 pm
I had horrible problems with a video card that my motherboard really hated. It seriously degraded my system audio performance. I'd say yank the graphics card, run off of the integrated mobo graphics, and see if it helps. It might, it might not. But it's worth a try!
I was thinking the same thing, Tadpui. When I pulled the old audio card for the Focusrite, I accidentally plugged the monitor into the integrated graphics and got a message asking me if I was sure I wanted to do that since I also had another video card in place. I think I'll give it a shot. Won't be for a few days though. My wife has a big list for me since I took my birthday off to visit with my son and his family. Haven't seen them in a couple of years. Now I gotta get caught up. :lollers2:

User avatar
JD01
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:11 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by JD01 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:55 am

Try using Reacomp. This isn't a pretty plug in but it's super versatile. Start with the NY Drum Buss, which is a parallel compression setting, and work from there.

Make sure you take the time to work out what all of the parameters are doing but it'll be a good start to see if it's an approach you want to take

User avatar
vomitHatSteve
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:06 am
Location: Undisclosed
Contact:

Re: Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by vomitHatSteve » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:42 pm

I tend to use ReaComp and the other stock reaper plugs mostly, but I am starting to use more sox compand. (It's a compressor AND a gate!... and completely incomprehensible...)

7String
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Re: Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by 7String » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:34 pm

JD01 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:55 am
Try using Reacomp. This isn't a pretty plug in but it's super versatile. Start with the NY Drum Buss, which is a parallel compression setting, and work from there.

Make sure you take the time to work out what all of the parameters are doing but it'll be a good start to see if it's an approach you want to take
I've tried Reacomp but I tend to not get the same results and sound that I was getting from TDR.
vomitHatSteve wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:42 pm
I tend to use ReaComp and the other stock reaper plugs mostly, but I am starting to use more sox compand. (It's a compressor AND a gate!... and completely incomprehensible...)
Having never heard of Sox Compand, I looked it up. That sure seems like a long ways to go to get something accomplished, unless I am totally misreading it.

User avatar
vomitHatSteve
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:06 am
Location: Undisclosed
Contact:

Re: Drum Buss/OH Compression

Post by vomitHatSteve » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:43 pm

7String wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:34 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:42 pm
I tend to use ReaComp and the other stock reaper plugs mostly, but I am starting to use more sox compand. (It's a compressor AND a gate!... and completely incomprehensible...)
Having never heard of Sox Compand, I looked it up. That sure seems like a long ways to go to get something accomplished, unless I am totally misreading it.
Oh, you're not. It is not the best tool in any circumstances, but my goal is often to automate audio processeses using only code, and it's one of the only options for that.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest