I need a channel strip, I think

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Lt. Bob

I need a channel strip, I think

Post by Lt. Bob »

my recent toss-aside recording made me realize that my vocals are always harsh sounding.
I use cheapo pre=amps ....

I think I need a better channel strip and a decent comp.

I really can't afford much but I'm thinking this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... nnel-strip

It gets decent reviews .... any thoughts?
Tadpui

Re: I need a channel strip, I think

Post by Tadpui »

My friend has one of those. I played with it one evening, and I have to say it's actually pretty solid. The preamp is a little dark, but that may be just the remedy if you're having issues with harsh or bright vocal mics. Variable impedance is cool, and it's a versatile little unit.

It's a little confusing to figure out all of the switches though...I thought that they could have found a simpler way to present those functions.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

thanks .... I pretty much got all the switch functions looking at it so I don't think that'll be a problem.

I just want to get a decent sound ..... I have lots of mic ( no expensive ones but a Rode NT-1, V63, V67, V69 and some others ) and I can NEVER get a very good sound. Passable but that's it.

Plus it's time to start using compression for one thing.
I'm thinking this might be a 'bang for the buck' solution.

I've also thought of getting the Art VLA comp and a Golden Age Pre-73 but that's kinda outside my budget. I really can't afford that ..... can't really afford the ART but I want to do a little serious recording before my hands quit working.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Mike bought a used one a while back and upgraded the tubes right away. He took it back and got an ISA2 because the ART just didn't do anything we liked. Now it was used so maybe it was beat up but we found it grainy, distorted, cloudy. The ISA2 does add some grit but it is smoother, and punchier. This was with an NT2A which is similar to a NT-1. As budget is numero uno, I'd say buy it, play with it and get the best sound possible with the buttons it has. There's lots of positive reviews all over the net so it's obviously doing what people want. I'm sure it will prove to be an improvement to your vocals, so don't let our experience deter you from trying it out.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Those ISA preamps are intriguing, I kinda want one. Neve-designed, transformer-coupled, and very well-regarded. And their price compared to other premium preamps is pretty darned attractive.

I've taken quite a liking to ART in recent years. Their Pro VLA II compressor is easily the best compressor in its price class, and I have a few other pieces of their gear. It's well-made, uses lots of metal in place of lots of plastic, performs well, and sounds good for its price. The only gear of theirs that I hated was their super-cheapo Tube MP preamp. It was my first stand-alone pre, and it was terrible. Really dark, poor dynamics, and the t00b in it was definitely just for show.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

The ISA One or 2 do not have compressors so they are probably no good for Lt Bob though (ignoring price though)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

The ISA can be had for around 400 on ebay.
But then I'd have to get a comp ..... I only have a 3630 comp so that's a neccessity.

And IF I went with the ISA and a comp (would get the Art VLA comp ) ..... then that's enough money where I'd agonize over the ISA or the Pre-73.

Man ..... that's 700 bucks.
I'm not sure I can justify that but maybe.
if I sold an amp or two ..... wonder how quick my Matk V would go?

Anyway .... if I went that route does anyone have thought on the ISA vs the Pre-73?
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I don't know what you record you stuff to...but if you're going into some computer app...you could always just get a decent pre...and then a channel-strip plug-in for the rest of the features.
There's some decent "soft" channel strips out there, and often they give you like 2-3 flavors, based on 2-3 famous hardware units.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Damn - I just removed a Mindprint Envoice from my studio that I don't use any more. Would have given you that for cheap but would cost a fortune to ship I imagine.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

miroslav wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 7:55 pm I don't know what you record you stuff to...but if you're going into some computer app...you could always just get a decent pre...and then a channel-strip plug-in for the rest of the features.
There's some decent "soft" channel strips out there, and often they give you like 2-3 flavors, based on 2-3 famous hardware units.
nope .... don't use apps of any kind and I don't record to a puter ..... have a couple of Fostex 1624s

Too bad about the Mindprint ..... looked it up .... looks nice.
witzendoz

Post by witzendoz »

Are you recording to a software based recording system? If so record without a compressor and use a plugin later? Therefore you can use the money for a good pre and not worry about the compressor? I never record through a compressor always compress later.

Alan.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

not recording to software unfortunately