I need a gang vocal, gang...

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Armistice

I need a gang vocal, gang...

Post by Armistice »

Hi

In the much talked about but as yet unrealised "song" I keep going on about, I'm going to do a group vocal in the chorus and it'll sound way better if it's a bunch of different people rather than just me.

I'm at work, so I'll post the details later when I'm at home.

Essentially it's two words - "Kill me" - over two notes, sung 4 x in the chorus, then repeat, so I have a left and right version. Plus if you can get an octave up (I can't but I have a low range) as a separate version that'd be even awesomer. Plus if you wanted to be extra super awesome you could give me two versions, one with short sound on the "me" and one longer. (Haven't worked out which version will work best as they are literally the only words in the song.

It's really, really simple and would take you about 5 minutes. It's meant to be a little shouty so don't let your lack of perfect singing pitch worry you.

I'll give you a blank MP3 to work with and a shorter one showing the two styles I'm after and the notes to use. :punk: You just send me back a mono wav or two and I'll chop it up and edit it etc.

So if you want to be part of the Massed Recording Rebels Boys Choir, that'd be great. Castration is completely optional. :lollers2:
Lt. Bob

Re: I need a gang vocal, gang...

Post by Lt. Bob »

sounds easy enough
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

:coolstorybro:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

OK

So, firstly, it's not really mixed, so don't cane me on that, pls :biggrin: ... any suggestions about drumming would be good though - this is where I attempt a continuous snare roll on MIDI.

You can either get the whole tune here (without singing) and put that in your DAW, and just listen to the other two to get the two styles, or ...
The whole 9 yards of tunage

(there are choruses at 1.06 and 2.08 if you just want to run it through)

... you can just use these - there's a bit of a lead in and I've put the guides in one ear so if that's your prefered mode you can just pan it.

Kill me short

Kill me long time

Secondly - I didn't even realise I was doing it but I'm not singing "me" as in "meeee" because that's hard to sing short and sounds dumb, I'm more singing "meh" which is probably what you'll naturally do anyway.

Thirdly - a little shouty is good but not super aggressive and I need you to match the timing as closely as you can, for obvious reasons - I'm going for weary cynicism rather than hatred/anger, if you follow me.

Fourthly - if you can do the octave as well, pleeeeease do. I can hit the notes but fuck me it sounds awful.

Lastly - the much discussed "the solo" is in there starting at 3.04 if you want to hear it... don't be too disappointed. (BTW I know there's a weird thing going on on one of the bends and I know what it is, so I'll get rid of it later - no need to point it out.) The hard bit was the second section - the staccato double notes, after the first long note - sounds easy, but turned out to be way harder to do well than I'd imagined. Stress on the "well" - super easy to do it badly... :mrgreen:

Thank you in advance, gentlemen!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Sounds like an Armistice song.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I'll be recording with the band tonight. I'll try to get this thrown down while I'm at it. Good times!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Alright. Here ya go

I opted for 7-part harmony because I don't half-ass things. Then I just synced it up with one of the short takes and exported the entire Reaper project because maybe I do half-ass things.

Were there two styles? They sounded basically the same to me.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Sent. :)
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Thanks genitalmen. I shall download and listen later in the day when I get home. :biggrin:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'd love to oblige David but, as I've noted previously, I'm can't sing and am not allowed to attempt to do so.
It does sound like a DS track - which is great for me.
The solo - doesn't start out like Television but does have a definite Richard Lloyd tone as it gets going.
Cool.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

That's OK ray, you are excused! Yeah I think I had Television playing in car a few days before I started thinking up the solo - Foxhole - which does the tortured bending to extremes... :lollers: Sounds like it rubbed off a bit.

Bubba and VHS - thanks for your efforts - excellent work - not sure how I'll get the harmonies in but I'll see how it fits. :lol:

Anyone else wants to have a stab, that'd be good. I haven't written any other words for the song yet, so it's not going to appear any time soon. :eep:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Wow... 2 months later and I still haven't finished it... :eek: :facepalm2:

I am close now however. I finally got Bubba and VHS's vocals in place.. just have to record lead vocal and I'll be done!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

How did I miss this? I love gang vocals and gang bangs.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 pm How did I miss this? I love gang vocals and gang bangs.
Me and VHS already double-teamed that bitch. If you had joined in we could have made 'er gas-tight.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Me and VHS already double-teamed that bitch. If you had joined in we could have made 'er gas-tight.
Yeah I see that.

Sorry Armi, if I would have noticed this thread before I would have joined in.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:48 pm
Bubba wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Yeah I see that.

Sorry Armi, if I would have noticed this thread before I would have joined in.
No probls Gerg. VHS went to town and gave me about 27 part harmonies, and Bubba did tonic and octave and I did tonic and octave falsetto - it was getting pretty crowded in the gang anyway. Hopefully I'll have the toon up by the weekend. Just have to get angry tomorrow night to record the lead vocal.

Not usually hard, what with all the brainless fuckwits I'm dealing with at work right now... :mad2: :headwall: :mad: :crazy: :biggrin:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:52 am
No probls Gerg. VHS went to town and gave me about 27 part harmonies, and Bubba did tonic and octave and I did tonic and octave falsetto - it was getting pretty crowded in the gang anyway. Hopefully I'll have the toon up by the weekend. Just have to get angry tomorrow night to record the lead vocal.

Not usually hard, what with all the brainless fuckwits I'm dealing with at work right now... :mad2: :headwall: :mad: :crazy: :biggrin:
You don't have to use all 27 parts! :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:03 pm
Armistice wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:52 am

You don't have to use all 27 parts! :D
I thought I could go all Queen with it... :biggrin:

In the end I used you, me and Bubba at tonic, Bubba octave, me octave falsetto (although it's almost not there) and your third and fifth. Came in very handy and saved me doing them myself - so thanks for that VHS - most appreciated. :like:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

No problem! Sounds good!