Using a speaker/cam impulse with an amp

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
JD01

Using a speaker/cam impulse with an amp

Post by JD01 »

Greg's thread got me thinking...

What's the easiest way to use one of these speaker/cab impulses with a normal amp? I'm assuming that you'd need some sort of load-box that you could take a signal from straight into your AI. You could then add the impulse in Reaverb.

Kind of like a Torpedo style system but without all the fancy cab emulation that 2Notes do.

Would the above work? And, if so what sort of kit would you need?
Greg_L

Re: Using a speaker/cam impulse with an amp

Post by Greg_L »

Yup, you'd use an attenuator/load box connected to the amp's speaker output. The DI from the loadbox would plug into your interface. A load box would be great because it would still involve your amp's power section. An amp's built-in direct out (if it has one) probably wouldn't be so good because it's 1) only the preamp, and 2) often already speaker-emulated.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:47 am Yup, you'd use an attenuator/load box connected to the amp's speaker output. The DI from the loadbox would plug into your interface. A load box would be great because it would still involve your amp's power section. An amp's built-in direct out (if it has one) probably wouldn't be so good because it's 1) only the preamp, and 2) often already speaker-emulated.
Yeah, I already have your set of cab sims. I've tried using the FX send, which sounds OK, but obviously this skips the power amp, so its not that great. There's no point in using the emulated out as this already has a cab emulation but weirdly also seems to skip the power amp as you have to have the master on zero to recording using it in silence and it sounds pretty shit anyway.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 am
Yeah, I already have your set of cab sims. I've tried using the FX send, which sounds OK, but obviously this skips the power amp, so its not that great. There's no point in using the emulated out as this already has a cab emulation but weirdly also seems to skip the power amp as you have to have the master on zero to recording using it in silence and it sounds pretty shit anyway.
I have a line out on my Weber Mass attenuator that I've never ever used. Not once.
I've had these cab impulses for years and years.
Maybe it's time I try them together and see what happens.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:54 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 am
I have a line out on my Weber Mass attenuator that I've never ever used. Not once.
I've had these cab impulses for years and years.
Maybe it's time I try them together and see what happens.
Try it, mate. Your neighbours might send you flowers.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:58 am
I've never tried it because I don't need it. Why simulate a Greenback cab when I've got one sitting here 3 feet away from me?

But I guess I should compare them. It would be easy enough. The files are very specific about what mic is used and where it's placed.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:01 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:58 am
I've never tried it because I don't need it. Why simulate a Greenback cab when I've got one sitting here 3 feet away from me?

But I guess I should compare them. It would be easy enough. The files are very specific about what mic is used and where it's placed.
Yeah, a direct comparison would be very interesting. I'll be very impressed if they're anywhere near as good.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:42 am Greg's thread got me thinking...
Hey, that was my topic. Do you actually think Greg would start a "sim" thread? I'm insulted.

Ok, I'm over it now. We can be friends again. :D
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 am I've tried using the FX send, which sounds OK, but obviously this skips the power amp, so its not that great
You can download the Two Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound and use it for a month free. It has a power amp sim that lets you select the tube type, as well as various mic and cab sims. http://www.two-notes.com/en/wall-of-sound-iii
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ocnor wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:29 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 am I've tried using the FX send, which sounds OK, but obviously this skips the power amp, so its not that great
You can download the Two Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound and use it for a month free. It has a power amp sim that lets you select the tube type, as well as various mic and cab sims. http://www.two-notes.com/en/wall-of-sound-iii
Thanks Ocnor, I'll look into this on the weekend.