Recording Rebels membership exclusive! Speaker cab impulses!

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Greg_L

Recording Rebels membership exclusive! Speaker cab impulses!

Post by Greg_L »

For my Rebel friends...I have a ton of Marshall 4x12 Greenback speaker convolution impulse files.

Many sample rates and bit depths.
Many, many mics. The most famous guitar recording mics.
Every mic position and distance you can think of.
And the AxeFX cab files themselves.

Load up your favorite sim and put these cab impulses behind it using your favorite convolution file host. Sound like you're using a Marshall Greenback cab. :jam:

For members only. Sorry guests and lurkers, you gotta register and be useful first. PM me if you want it. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Re: Recording Rebels membership exclusive! Speaker cab impulses!

Post by Lt. Bob »

crap ..... makes me wish I had a sim!
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

Did you make these yourself?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

jonny deep wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:21 am Did you make these yourself?
No, I have no idea how they do this voodoo witchcraft.
Rebel Yell
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 am
To do reverb convolutions you go in the space you want it to sound like and record a sine wave at a certain frequency & volume (I think the pro ones use very expensive reference mics). I guess you do similar through a cab to get these.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 am
PMSL - I did wonder. :D In some ways you can be a real technophobe, then you pull out some in-depth shit to do with wiring, tone stacks, capacitor choice etc. in Marshall amps. :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

jonny deep wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:27 am
To do reverb convolutions you go in the space you want it to sound like and record a sine wave at a certain frequency & volume (I think the pro ones use very expensive reference mics). I guess you do similar through a cab to get these.
I've read that the "creators" would record a sharp transient, like a gun shot or a balloon popping. Something very quick and loud in whatever space they're trying to capture. Then they keep just the reverb tail. It's weird. :crazy:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 am PMSL - I did wonder. :D In some ways you can be a real technophobe, then you pull out some in-depth shit to do with wiring, tone stacks, capacitor choice etc. in Marshall amps. :biggrin:
Lol. The very few things I do know about, I know about them pretty well. :happytrees:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:32 am
jonny deep wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:27 am
I've read that the "creators" would record a sharp transient, like a gun shot or a balloon popping. Something very quick and loud in whatever space they're trying to capture. Then they keep just the reverb tail. It's weird. :crazy:
I've had thought they'd have taken the driest signal they could get of something simple (like a sine wave) and also captured the wettest signal they could get, from say the very back of the room and somehow subtracted them from eachother so they are left with the way that the wave is altered but with none of the actual sound.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:35 am
I've had thought they'd have taken the driest signal they could get of something simple (like a sine wave) and also captured the wettest signal they could get, from say the very back of the room and somehow subtracted them from eachother so they are left with the way that the wave is altered but with none of the actual sound.
Could be. I really don't know. I've only read articles about it. Maybe there's more than one way to do it.

I guess maybe you could run a sine wave through a space or an amp, and then phase reverse the original sine wave to cancel it out, leaving you with just the bit you want. No idea.
Rebel Yell
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

I think that if you run a sine wave of a known frequency, you can subtract it from the recorded sound and only have the reverb left. Then some cleverness can be used add that reverb to any sound.

Edit - that's what Greg pretty much said above!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

There was a guy at the other place that made his own reverbs from his house a long time ago. I snagged em but I don't ever use them. I don't think they sound that good. His rooms are just not good rooms. But the files do perform exactly as they should. I should have asked him how he did it.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I think most reverb impulses are done with balloons popping or something. That's all I know (or don't know).

Anyway, no need to jump through hoops for good reverbs. There are lots of great impulses out there. I have a shit ton of the Lexicons, as I think you guys do, too. Don't need more than that.

As far as Greg's cab impulses, this is great stuff. Like I was telling Greg, I have to narrow it down because there are way too many choices. I just opeded the "44.1k 24 bit" folder, went into the "SM57" folder, and just that kept me busy for a few hours.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Brilliant. Thanks Greg.
:happytrees:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I still think we need a "Like" or "Thanx" button. :)
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I just put a really short clip in the Tone Thread, using LePou Hybrit and one of Greg's cab impulses.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:06 pm I just put a really short clip in the Tone Thread, using LePou Hybrit and one of Greg's cab impulses.
When you used gregs impulse files were you using reaverb as your IR loader?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

No, I use the SIR. It has more parameters like Pre-delay, length, etc....You can see all the parameters in the picture. Even has an EQ section.

http://www.siraudiotools.com/sir1.php
Roman

Post by Roman »

I don't even have a sim. Hmmm maybe i do. Protools has 11rack and sansamp. Not sure.

But some nice IRs is cool. Maybe take you up on your kind, generous offer for later use?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I tried these new IR's last night real quick with Amplitube instead of the hybrit and some of them are DEFINITELY useable. Thanks Greg. though i will say they definitely have that Mesa Cab Woof? honk? heavyness? not sure what the word is but that characteristic was captured quite well.

I think i am caught up at work enough i am going to get this entire weekend off (and it is a long weekend to boot) which means i will finally have some me time. Will be posting some toans!!!!

I also realized that Amplitube has a sim of the AD30 included in the bundle so i am going to line it up against the real thing for shits. I already know that the outcome is going to be lol. But will be fun.