Studio Monitors

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Bill L

Studio Monitors

Post by Bill L »

So I was in Guitar Center the other day and they're running a special on Yamaha HS-8, which are normally $250 each, for $175 each. Anyone use these? I was planning on upgrading anyway but I was planning on getting Equator D5's. These are less expensive and have a larger woofer. Just checking to see if any of you guys have used them.
miroslav

Re: Studio Monitors

Post by miroslav »

Sorry...no hands-on comment on those, though I have heard good things about the Yamaha monitors,,, but since you brought up the subject of monitors...
I just upgraded mine from my Mackie HR824 set to a pair of Focal Twin6 Be monitors. I'll probably keep the Mackies too for the time being...maybe use them for tracking and the Focals for mixing.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Lots like the yamaha I've got a friend with a pair. I like em. I slso own the D5s hearing both the yamaha is a "bigger" sound, but the D5 is a bit more detailed. I was able to hear reverb tails in my D5 that weren't evident in the yamis.

The d5 to me is more near field, where the yammis are more mid field.
Still, i wouldnt hesitate to own a pair.
:D
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I figured. I have a set of Alesis M1's for near field so maybe these Yamaha's, especially at this price, are well worth it.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I have the HS80M, which is the predecessor to the HS8. I think that the HS8 added a little more range on the highs and lows compared to my HS80M, so they go a little deeper and a little higher. These are my first and only monitors so I don't have anything to compare them to, other than hi-fi consumer speakers. I think they're pretty darn good, detailed mids and highs, and enough bass to also use for leisure listening. There are a few controls on the back to adjust lo, mid, and hi frequency response for your room.

Those Equator D5 have a great reputation, and I'd be curious to hear them myself. Honestly, I don't think that either would be a bad choice.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Bill L wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:04 pm Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I figured. I have a set of Alesis M1's for near field so maybe these Yamaha's, especially at this price, are well worth it.
If you get them, there's a goood chance the alesis will go up for sale. The Yammis are much more detailed.

And you sure can't beat the price.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Roman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:16 pm
Bill L wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:04 pm Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I figured. I have a set of Alesis M1's for near field so maybe these Yamaha's, especially at this price, are well worth it.
If you get them, there's a goood chance the alesis will go up for sale. The Yammis are much more detailed.

And you sure can't beat the price.
I'll keep both sets. Who knows, maybe get the D5's in a few years too. :coolstorybro:
Roman

Post by Roman »

D 5s are very nice.
I'm a speaker junkie but if I only could have one set, I'd be happy with those.:)
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Bill L wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:41 pm So I was in Guitar Center the other day and they're running a special on Yamaha HS-8, which are normally $250 each, for $175 each. Anyone use these? I was planning on upgrading anyway but I was planning on getting Equator D5's. These are less expensive and have a larger woofer. Just checking to see if any of you guys have used them.
Darn. I wish they were doing a deal like that near me. I'd love a pair of HS8s
Haggard Musician :mad:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Ok, so I'm a dumb musician and my math sucks but I still got a hell of a deal. The HS-8 are normally around $500 ea (MSRP) and they had them listed at $350 ea at GC. And I somehow managed to get some additional discounts (not sure how, but I'll take it). So for roughly $550 (including taxes) I got a pair of these bad boys. Just had to dismantle my recording area to get them hook up and all I can say is "WOW". What a fuckin difference. Now I just have to get used to them. :crazy:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

So what was you math problem...? :)
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

miroslav wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:53 pm So what was you math problem...? :)
I walked in thinking I was going to spend around $400, realize it's going to be more like $800 :oops: but end up spending $550 :chillin . I really need to get more sleep :lol:

The by product of all this was that I had to clean up my desk area (which is ridiculously disorganized and messy) so now I don't know where anything is :spacepalm: but it is clean. :coolstorybro:
Roman

Post by Roman »

The math issue was a price of 175 each. Ain't happening. I see them regularly go for 5 bills a pair. And thats used.

Excellent on thd purchase! It's good to be blown away.
:D
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

He's right.jpeg

That was, in fact, the issue I was referring too.

:lollers2:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I think that they usually go for $350 each. That's what my HS80Ms went for, and the HS8s were always that price when I checked. Tough to find Yamaha pro audio stuff on sale, so nice find to get them at that price.

I just got mine hooked up again at the new place, and yeah they sound really good. I listened to them for several hours last night, and hopefully I'll be able to give some listens to the members music around here finally.