Is there a way...

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Greg_L

Is there a way...

Post by Greg_L »

...to trigger MIDI notes with a guitar using the Reaper? Anyone know?

I need a janky piano sound and I really don't feel like lugging mics and shit upstairs to the piano. :spacepalm: :WTF: :facepalm: :facepalm2:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way...

Post by WhiskeyJack »

If i am not mistaken you can get your computer keyboard to what you need it to do.

http://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85829
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

And just as i hit send i realized that you probably want reaper to read the key of the notes you play on your guitar to pla ythe corresponding notes in the midi.

that part i am not so sure of.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Not that I'm aware of. With a MIDI pickup, sure, but I'm guessing you won't have one of them. Be useful if there was a "notation" plug in that could decide basic note picking by pitch. Perhaps there is?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 pm Not that I'm aware of. With a MIDI pickup, sure, but I'm guessing you won't have one of them. Be useful if there was a "notation" plug in that could decide basic note picking by pitch. Perhaps there is?
That's what I'm thinking of. For example, I play a C note on a guitar direct into Reaper, and it draws a MIDI note to trigger a VSTi saloon piano.

If that's possible, I'd like to do it.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 pm
Armistice wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 pm Not that I'm aware of. With a MIDI pickup, sure, but I'm guessing you won't have one of them. Be useful if there was a "notation" plug in that could decide basic note picking by pitch. Perhaps there is?
That's what I'm thinking of. For example, I play a C note on a guitar direct into Reaper, and it draws a MIDI note to trigger a VSTi saloon piano.

If that's possible, I'd like to do it.
Bruh, Try this:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5IVj_x6UUQ[/BBvideo]
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Bruh, Try this:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5IVj_x6UUQ[/BBvideo]
Wow that's amazing. Thanks. It's real close to what I want to do but not quite there. It doesn't record the MIDI data, and I keep getting weird double-notes everywhere. :headwall:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

You are almost there. There has got to be a way to route that into an empty midi channel, hit record and go to town.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:14 pm You are almost there. There has got to be a way to route that into an empty midi channel, hit record and go to town.
If there is I'll never figure it out. I've used MIDI maybe four times in my whole life.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

shouldn't be that hard man.
There's 16 channels .... you're bound to have empty ones.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Check the JS plug-ins. There's a "MIDI Duplicate Note Filter".
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Monophonic midi? I think the video WJ posted is about the best Reaper can do natively.
If you want polyphonic midi, you probably need melodyne.
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

tada! http://www.jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/

its actually purdy good ... takes a lil setting up to get the best outta it,out of the box will give you an idea ..

you will get false triggers,failed to sound notes e.t.c,but setting up and clean playing (thats pretty hard for me!) sorts this out

latency is reeeeeeeel good,and you can play chords too \o/ :D

btw i have a shadow pickup and a boss thing that does midi,jamlab imo fairs pretty well against them (hardware has the edge)
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Playing chords might sound cool with something like that. But the way the notes are arranged on a chord played on guitar is not the same way they're played on a keyboard. The voicing's not the same because they're not in the same order. Not saying this thing isn't cool. Just saying that one would have to alter their voicings if they want it to really sound like a piano.
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

i watched the reaper tuner vid ... to record the output arm the track the vst is on (in the vids case the track with the string sound) and press record ... the midi notes are there (triggering the strings vst)

^^^ rammers right,it is weird as hell playing piano (or whatever) on guitar,drums is reeeeely whacky!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, you sort of have to work it out, and some serious finger stretching has to happen if you want to pull it off accurately.

Like, "E" chord on guitar (if you play all 6 strings) would be E,B,E,G#,B,E.....On a piano, the triad(s) would typically be E,G#,B,E,G#,B.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:00 pm....On a piano, the triad(s)
I love it when you talk dirty... :biggrin:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

What are you wearing right now?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:32 pm tada! http://www.jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/

its actually purdy good ... takes a lil setting up to get the best outta it,out of the box will give you an idea ..

you will get false triggers,failed to sound notes e.t.c,but setting up and clean playing (thats pretty hard for me!) sorts this out

latency is reeeeeeeel good,and you can play chords too \o/ :D

btw i have a shadow pickup and a boss thing that does midi,jamlab imo fairs pretty well against them (hardware has the edge)
Thanks I'll give that a try. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I'm just shocked to see Greg mention "guitar" and "MIDI" in the same sentence. :WTF:

I would expect that you would rather haul a baby grand up two flights of stairs just so you could mic it up...instead of doing the MIDI thing. :lollers2:

Next thing you'll be using sampled drums on all your tracks. ;) :tongue: