What's your weakness?

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Greg_L

What's your weakness?

Post by Greg_L »

What do you feel you need to work on the most? This goes for tracking, mixing, whatever.

For me, I think vocals. Not my performance. I'm fine with my shit singing. I'm fine with others' shit singing. I don't care about singing. I just don't like vocal mixing and never feel like I'm totally satisfied with how I mix vocal tracks. I'm always "that's good enough". I feel like I can capture and mix all of the other instruments exactly however I want. But on vocals, I'm just whatever.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Re: What's your weakness?

Post by JD01 »

At the moment vocal performance.
When I get that cracked it will be judging what frequency is clashing with what. I can hear shut isn't right but I don't know what it is.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Kick and bass guitar for me. My bass always sounds muddy, and my kick is either too thumpy or too clicky. I have yet to master the art of getting the kick and bass guitar to agree with each other while keeping them both sounding good.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'm a live player and find it vert difficult to capture what it is I do on recordings.

It's not the recording process .... getting at least decent recordings is pretty easy I think.
But I only play in any special sort of way on gigs so my weakness is capturing a worthwhile performance away from a gig.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Lead vocals for me.

I still don't know what "I" am supposed to sound like. When I do a cover, I can sound pretty close to whoever I'm copying, especially Jagger and Alice Cooper. But when I write a song, the vocalist in my head is never the vocalist coming out of my mouth. I often can't find the right "voice". Do I scream this one out? Do I sing it softer? Should I just pretend I'm covering a Stones tune and sing like Jagger?

I have no problem with back vocals. I honestly think I can arrange and perform back vocals that are right up there with Queen or any other vocal band.

I just wish I was a better/more confident lead singer.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I think by biggest weakness is mixing. I suck with EQ and compressors.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:51 pm I think by biggest weakness is mixing. I suck with EQ and compressors.
This too. In fact I have loads to learn
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

My biggest weakness is that I'm overly critical of myself. I go totally OCD and have to fix even the slightest mistake that nobody else would notice. That's why it takes me forever to finish a song. And even then it's never truly finished.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

For me...each song will present a different requirement..,and in that, there will be a specific difficulty, or "weakness".
Like some songs, I may find a rhythm guitar part just awkward...others, it might be how the bass is falling into the groove...or on another song, the vocals aren't gelling within the rest of the mix.
That said...I can usually work my way through most of those things, and find something that works, or an alternative that avoids the problem.

I think my biggest reoccurring weakness is getting past that production "hump" where suddenly I'm not sure about things and I start wondering about the direction, with each new track I record.
There's a moment of doubt...like, is this really what I want to do with this song...?...and then finding the right thing that pushes me over that hump...like maybe changing the sound of something, up/down an octave, or the rearranging the notes of a riff, or just changing the phrasing of something, like before a down beat instead of on it....etc.

It's like I always have a certain amount of the "unknown" in every song production. :D
Much if that is due to me starting recording while still flushing out the song. I'm not one to work out every little part, every lick, every note, etc...before I start tracking.
I kinda like having that bit of uncertainty, followed by the discovery....as long as it works out. :P
There's been times where a really good song idea ends up a dud during the early stages...and then it's back to the drawing board.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Vocals are my biggest weak point, by far...There's just a lot I "don't get" about singing, & I'm probably over-critical of myself, but my vocal abilities are non-existent & just plain suck...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:42 am Vocals are my biggest weak point, by far...There's just a lot I "don't get" about singing, & I'm probably over-critical of myself, but my vocal abilities are non-existent & just plain suck...
Yeah. I agree entirely
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:03 pm
Minerman wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:42 am Vocals are my biggest weak point, by far...There's just a lot I "don't get" about singing, & I'm probably over-critical of myself, but my vocal abilities are non-existent & just plain suck...
Yeah. I agree entirely
Thanks for the confirmation there fucker..... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:26 pm
JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Yeah. I agree entirely
Thanks for the confirmation there fucker..... :minernuggs:
Haha, you know what I mean.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Chocolate...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Focusing on one thing at a time. Everything i do i have a work flow... except my music. With that i just suck at being time efficient or productive. Ill track guitars amd half way through ill be like "wow that snare sounds shit. Amd ill stop tracking guitars to fix the a snare and then then it is one thing after another after that.

I deperately need to work on those in the worst way.

Also making time dedicated only to writing lyrics.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

OK - apart from chocolate, getting my initial mix to a reasonable stage can be a problem. I can just not hear things which are plainly obvious to other people, going by my history.

Once I get a few nudges in the right direction I'm generally OK, but getting it all together in the first place can be frustrating - I almost inevitably seem to have guitars too loud, drums too soft, vocals too soft the first time I put a mix up.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've discovered a new weakness and its a fucking annoying one...

Nailing down the last little bit to get a mix to sound right. I've got two mixes at the moment (one in "Lets have a listen") where I can't get the snare sound right and its bugging the shit out of me. I do know though that part of the problem is that I don't think I really enjoy the finer points of mixing.

I love the creative part of the song writing and arrangement and I enjoy getting the initial mix together to see what sort of song I have and see if I really like it; I'm even starting to enjoy the singing a bit more. But when I'm at this stage I find it difficult to put hours into a mix to even out the last little bit; particularly during the week when I'm working on a laptop with a tiny screen.

In a lot of ways I have the opposite problem to Armistice!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:36 am I've discovered a new weakness and its a fucking annoying one...

Nailing down the last little bit to get a mix to sound right. I've got two mixes at the moment (one in "Lets have a listen") where I can't get the snare sound right and its bugging the shit out of me. I do know though that part of the problem is that I don't think I really enjoy the finer points of mixing.

I love the creative part of the song writing and arrangement and I enjoy getting the initial mix together to see what sort of song I have and see if I really like it; I'm even starting to enjoy the singing a bit more. But when I'm at this stage I find it difficult to put hours into a mix to even out the last little bit; particularly during the week when I'm working on a laptop with a tiny screen.

In a lot of ways I have the opposite problem to Armistice!
Snare sounds are the bane of my fucking existence! They're never quite right.... :crazy:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Drum mixing separates the men from the boys. :drums: :robus: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:50 am Drum mixing separates the men from the boys. :drums: :robus: :coolstorybro:
I think you're getting it confused with phrygian dominant modes, mate. :metal: