What's your weakness?

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Greg_L

Re: What's your weakness?

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:52 am
I think you're getting it confused with phrygian dominant modes, mate. :metal:
No, because no one needs that shit. Everyone needs drums though.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

My hearing.
I'm not deaf, though I have tinnitus, but I don't hear the detail other folk do. I can get a so so mix started but I NEED other ears to tell me what sounds wrong partly because I spent years listening to bad recordings and/or music on cheap gear and learning to like /it and accept them/it as normal.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:52 am phrygian dominant modes
:mad:

I don't really know what my weaknesses are at the moment. Used to be I couldn't get a really good kick sound to save my life, but I seem to be ironing that out. I know I find mixing vocals a bit tricky but I'm wondering whether it's because I'm unhappy with the source, which is usually me! :biggrin: I find Manda's vocals pretty easy to mix and Armistice's spoken word stuff settled into the tracks without too much trouble as well. I struggled to mix Paulman's "Debaser" vocal well, so I suppose the most hit-and-miss bit of my skills is vocals. Another weakness is not learning a song well enough to get a flawless performance in one take, like JD and Greg try to do.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:16 am Another weakness is not learning a song well enough to get a flawless performance in one take, like JD and Greg try to do.
I think this is mainly down to writing and arranging in one go, and not ever really learning to play the song "live".

One thing that helps in Reaper is sticking markers on the screen so you get a load of red lines going down across the screen labelled with what part of the song it is. The other thing I find is that coming back to a track after I've had it down a while and I've mixed it helps 'cos by then you know the song so well. The song I've been working on for a while, I think its labelled "re-tracked and remixed" or something is actually relatively complex from a guitar point of view. But when I did the re-tracking of the main guitar parts I did the whole song in single takes - just 'cos the song has been knocking around for a few months now so I know it really well.
RatsoRizzo

Post by RatsoRizzo »

drum mixing, vocal mixing and performance
Bobbsy

Post by Bobbsy »

Mixing.

I don't create any of my own music--instead I record others. This means that tracking is a collaborative effort and (depending on the artist) usually enjoyable. Mixing is usually a solo effort and I have two distinct modes. One is that I get tired of what I'm working on and start settling for "it'll do" rather than going for perfect. The other mode is getting OCD about one small aspect of the mix and not seeing--well, hearing--the bigger picture. I really have to slap myself every so often to get back on the right track (pun intended).
Roman

Post by Roman »

My weakness? Lack of talent.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Although I think I'm getting "better" at mixing, I'm still struggling with a lot of things. My main nemesis is always bass, but a new bass and different amp settings seems to have reduced that problem a bit. I find new mix techniques all the time but that doesn't necessarily equate to a better mix. Sometimes it just makes it worse because there's too many choices. Like reverb - I have 3 million presets and sliders for every parameter on each one. So I just pick one and stick with it, but constantly wonder "could this be better?" But this is a hobby, I can't dedicate as much time as I'd like, and it's supposed to be FUN so I'm just going to chug along, not going to beat myself up about it. :crazy:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.