The new Slate Virtual Recording Studio

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
miroslav

The new Slate Virtual Recording Studio

Post by miroslav »

Slate just released this...in time for NAMM.
They had the virtual mics/pres stuff already...but now they added an 8-channel interface with 8 pres, that can be coupled with their modeling mics and virtual pres to give you )according to Slate) just about any vintage mic sound, and soon they will have many more pres (right now just two).
Apparently this system will blow away UAD and other native solutions on bothe latency and processing requirements.

The one thing that looks really good to me is the interface, which uses PCIe for PC computers...as opposed to USB.
That said...I never like the idea of having EVERYTHING coming from one source...one vision...of how all these emulation should sound and work together. Of course, that exactly what Slate is after...to get you to use only their products for al your solutions, and hey, other manufactures are no different.

Here's the 35 minute video...(which could be reduced down to 20 if they cut out all the applause every 30 seconds... :D )....but if you just want the bottom line...FW to about 29:30...that's where he breaks down what you get and how much it costs.
The whole presentation is good to check out...but as much as I respect Slate products...watching Steven's videos (and he's always sending them to users via email)...he just comes off so fucking dorky to me. :P

Anyway...this is where it's heading to...pretty much everything emulated and virtual. :|

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcCjfEjNZdY[/BBvideo]
Greg_L

Re: The new Slate Virtual Recording Studio

Post by Greg_L »

Uh, fuck no.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Yeah...I'm not getting on that train. It was just a something new to check out...I'm sure there will be other shit...it's NAMM week. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It's neat technology. But it's also more option overload for people that don't need that many options anyway. And goddamn it's expensive.

What they do is sell you on options and versatility. People think they need 100 different microphones. 100 different amps, cabs, drum kits, etc. When in reality they need like a tenth of all of that and they could do everything they want.

I guess it's cool that for the reasonable (lol) sum of $3000 you get a year of Slate everything and then you can pick and choose what you actually wanna buy and use.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

He was targeting the UAD crowd...most of which are fairly deep into everything UAD.
So...his new system is supposed to beat it on latency and performance...and run natively.

Like you said...hundreds of options...but that's the thing with a lot of these guys, they live off of having hundreds of options. That's what they sell with their virtual studios....their ability to give their clients anything/everything...and people think that's better or important.
I guess if you'r "for hire"...you're kinda fucked in that you now HAVE TO provide clients with an endless set of options and choices...because all the other "for hire" guys are doing it too.

For the guys doing their own recording or having the luxury of being able to chose their preferred methods even for the clients...then you really don't need all that shit...you just need the things that get you what you want. You fine-tune your rig and your choices...and then you ignore the rest.
But...software is like the apples on the tree of life...and people are easily tempted to eat more and more and more.

Fuck...I have a pile of plugs...and I'l be damned if I ever use but a handful off them...if that. :D
I look at the Slate "everything" bundle...or even some of the UAD bundles (I don't have anything UAD at this time)...and the first thought that comes to mind is "FUCK...I don't want to have to slog through ALL THOSE PLUGS to see what they do."
It's like I told you earlier...for me, new shit is like a curse. :P
We get bogged down with new stuff we have to keep getting and trying out..and IMO, it takes away from just plain old "makin' music".

This past year I did a console upgrade...and then spent a chunk of the summer refurbishing the console and re-capping and re-chipping...and I said to myslef this was it...I was NOT going to get into any more gear shit for awhile...I JUST WANT TO RECORD...again. :)
Roman

Post by Roman »

How's that shit help with making good music?

We live in an age of technical overkill.

Some of the greatest records have been made on 8 to 16 track recording machines.

Just because there are unlimited options doesn't mean music will improve.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Sometimes... Often.. Constraints make you creative.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:50 pmUh, fuck no.
^^This^^
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Okay maybe I'm technologically naive but if I use a crappy or a so-so mic (i.e like most home recorders), no amount of digital 1 and 0's is going make it sound like <insert expensive mic here>. And I agree that too many options will have you chasing your tail. I think I use like 5 or 6 plugins from a list of 160 that load when I boot Sonar. I only wish I had time to try them out, but even then, it would take me a year.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

The pitch from Slate is that you use HIS mics, preamps and modeling software, and then you can mimic any mic or pre.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:56 pm The pitch from Slate is that you use HIS mics, preamps and modeling software, and then you can mimic any mic or pre.
Right....for the easy sum of $3000.

Granted, that is a lot cheaper than buying all those pres and mics and shit a la carte, but damn, it's still 3Gs.

Maybe I'm just too much a simpleton, or maybe I don't want to make Taylor Swift records.

The weird thing for me is I don't really see where this fits. The cheap budget home recorder is not gonna splurge for this set up. The pro studio isn't either - they already have their stuff. So who is it for exactly? I guess the middle-guy with a hobby studio that sometimes records bands for pay?
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Right, he's targeting the guys with the UAD stuff...which ain't cheap either...the guys who are in that semi-pro studio category.
He's probably also targeting some of the home rec crowd...the guys who haven't yet invested a lot, and his pitch is that for $3...they can have his "virtual recording studio", able to emulate all this vintage stuff...same as most plugin manufacturers do.

He's doing it as a complete system...for some, it maybe be worth it...but like I could never get into that. As I said earlier, the thought of buying into one manufacturer's idea of what all this stuff is supposed to do and sound like...just doesn't interest me.
I would much rather cherry pick the things I want....I don't need bundles.

I have the Slate Trigger program...and 2-3 of his plugs...and because of that, I get bombed with his endless push to get people to go for the subscription approach...where he gives you his "everything bundle' on a yearly subscription.
I just don't want all that stuff....I already have everything he offers...just from different manufacturers.

Yeah....I think he's looking for the new guys who got nothing. Maybe to them, $3k for all that is worth it...???
Roman

Post by Roman »

It will sell to gearslutz fanatics. Lawyers, accountants. The same people who have 10k custom shop LPs who can't play for shit. That crowd. And I bet it will sell like crazy.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Yup.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Roman wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:19 am It will sell to gearslutz fanatics. Lawyers, accountants. The same people who have 10k custom shop LPs who can't play for shit. That crowd. And I bet it will sell like crazy.

Oh wait, shit. That's half of my clients. Lol :D

I should be nice and rephrase. I think it's an excellent product that opens the doors to massive musical capabilities :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm the type that wouldn't be satisfied with emulations all over the place. Do I want to spend $1000 for a Royer 121? No. But if I got the modeling mic and emulator software, I'd always wonder how it compares to the real thing. There are mics I want but don't feel like buying them. But I'd rather spend the money on real mics than this software.

And all of this soundless/gearless recording really rubs me the wrong way.
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

I know what you mean.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Just watched the video. Actually "speed watched " it by skipping ahead .
I couldn't stand it in real time. He reminds me of a hipster, cocaine snorting, Steve Jobs wanna-be.

He's just too damn animated and excited. While I respect his achievements, it doesn't get me interested. But then again, I'm a luddite. I still use tape, and on my protools rig, the stock plugins are all I need.
Last edited by Roman on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Right? That shit is like a cheap infomercial. Small audience, pauses for scripted obligatory clapping, it slices, it dices, it does it all!
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I think its pretty neat. I won't be going for it any time soon, but I can see the allure. Really flat preamps, really flat converters...then color it with EQ and saturation profiles imposed over the top of it. It's the same idea as how his virtual mic/virtual preamp works, and that thing has surprisingly good reviews. 6 mics, 8 preamps, and thunderbolt/PCIe connectivity for $3k really isn't bad. It's not for me, but I can see how it would be attractive to somebody running a project studio.

His plugins do rock though...one day I'll spring for his virtual mix rack thingy. I've heard them in action enough from various YouTubers and I have to say that I like them quite a bit.